Road To NAHBS 2013: Gaulzetti Cicli

gaulzetti corsa

It’s time again for our annual pre-NAHBS interview series where we learn what some of the builders have been up to since last year’s show and, perhaps, a sneak peek at what they’ll be bringing to Denver in February.

First up is the ever popular and always entertaining Gaulzetti Cicli founder Craig Gaulzetti, hailing from Nahant, Massachusetts. Never heard of him? Perhaps it’s best to prime yourself with last year’s interview and our show coverage from 2012. Otherwise, let’s get rolling…

Bikerumor: What materials do you build with? Which is your favorite and why?

Gaulzetti: We build bikes out of bamboo, aluminum and wood. That lets us maintain a presence in every NAHBS “alternative material” subset. Remember when the Melvins did that easy listening album or when Flipper performed Beethoven’s Seventh at Pukkelpop? It’s kinda like that. We’ve taken big steps this year to branch our into other areas of “alternative”.

OK – so I don’t really build bikes out of wood or bamboo- but I also consider the song “Typical American” by the hip-hop group the Goats one of the best alternative songs of the 1990s. Anyway, we do race bikes out of aluminum and race bikes out of steel. Aluminum is my favorite and is an ideal material for 90% of my clients. I honestly think it is less about the material and more about the design and where the wheels end up than the material. My steel bike, the Cazzo allows me to use physically smaller pipes which makes for a bit more clearance than I could achieve with my aluminum tubes….so for a Paris-Roubaix style race bike, I like to use Colombus ÜberOversize PegoRichie steel.

gaulzetti cicli nahbs 2013

BikerumorWhat have you been working on since NAHBS last year?

Gaulzetti: The Corsa has a new drop-out we’re finally bringing in to production which I am very excited about. We’re making them in-house and they are not only making the build process easier but also making the bikes lighter and stffer. We are planning on introducing a narrow bike at NAHBS if everything goes according to plan. Fingers crossed, Gaulzetti Cicli will have a bicycle in our booth that is faster in the tunnel than any production road bike and rides like a Corsa.

gaulzetti cicli nahbs 2013

gaulzetti cicli nahbs 2013

Bikerumor: Any killer custom bike builds?

Gaulzetti: I’m proud of all my bikes. I won’t put my name on a bike I am not proud of and would not be ecstatic to race on. Honestly, I won’t ever build something I don’t like. At the end of the day, this project isn’t about you- it’s about me. That philosophy keeps me grounded and doing what I know I am good at and what I know I can do. At the end of the day, if I am true to my own convictions and experiences my clients end up being happy and I end up being able to sleep at night.

gaulzetti cicli nahbs 2013
Bikerumor: Did you see anything at NAHBS last year that’s inspired you?

Gaulzetti: I hate precious bikes, I don’t understand why anyone would want to use a bicycle as a form of transportation- but I love bike people. The folks who exhibit at NAHBS are the people who inspire me because they’re making stuff and that is great. I love people who ride bikes for any reason. I support advocacy efforts and I want more people on bikes but it just ain’t me. Listen- I’m building a sporting good for a sport I like- I’m not building transportation, or an art piece or a space shuttle- maybe I would if that kind of stuff spoke to me but it doesn’t. Basically, this is a long way of saying I am inspired by products of real emotional, physical and experiential investment. Don Ferris’ jigs inspire me- Renold Yip’s townie bikes inspire me even though I would never, ever want one or build one- Richard Sachs’ team cross bikes inspire me because of the effort and experience they represent….But dude- if you ever catch me running a machine shop making f’ing jigs or building an integrated rack or caravaning around the country running a cyclo-cross team- shoot me in the face.

gaulzetti cicli nahbs 2013
Bikerumor: What are you bringing to the show this year that’ll have every other builder standing slack jawed in awe?

Gaulzetti: I hope my bikes don’t leave anyone slack jawed. They’re a competent evolutionary design take on a modern race bike. Nothing should surprise anyone. If I put a Corsa in time machine and showed it to Ernie Colnago in 1979- I’d hope he wouldn’t be slack jawed by anything important about it. It’s a race bike.

Bikerumor: Scenario – A customer commissions you and one other builder to create the ultimate bicycle using the same parameters, same base material and same budget in an Iron Chef style competition. Who would you want to build against that would push you and elevate your game?

Gaulzetti: Honestly, it’d be FES or Andy Walser or BT. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of race bikes today are a commodity first and a sporting good second. Despite this, the big guys are all making better race bikes now than ever before. Still, the pockets of the bicycle industry that try to stay isolated from market demands and devote their efforts towards making the best race equipment they can, are the guys that push me. Funny, but whether it’s a former East German sport technology institute like FES, or a mad genius Swiss time trial guru like Herrn Walser or a government funded Australian track equipment program like BT- those are the guys that make me elevate my game.
Thanks for reading!
Craig

More photographic gems from Craig:

gaulzetti cicli nahbs 2013

gaulzetti cicli nahbs 2013

gaulzetti cicli nahbs 2013

Comments

digi - 01/21/13 - 2:32pm

2900(starting point) dollar ALUMINUM Frame set…..Right….Dude don’t you sell CARBON Treks for a living? And he comes off as a —- to boot. jeez.

Sevo - 01/21/13 - 3:00pm

Pretty stoked Craig’s making bikes and bringing brutal honesty back to the biz in the way he does. He’s got fantastic taste in music to boot.

Steve - 01/21/13 - 3:12pm

Why are these frames so expensive?

ccolagio - 01/21/13 - 3:21pm

@digi story checks out – guys sounds like a —-

nice frames though, i love traditional geo/TTs

rick - 01/21/13 - 3:35pm

Here’s a thought try interviewing someone who actually builds there own bikes. Isn’t there like a hundred other people bringing bikes to NAHBS who don’t suck? And don’t worry nobody is going to be left slack jawed by your junk, my PK Ripper had better welds and probably rode better..

Champs - 01/21/13 - 3:43pm

I don’t want to carry on the negativity, but how can you stage a bike’s wheels, tires, and gear selection so properly, yet screw up the cranks?

BCD (and OCD?) notwithstanding, the crank arms have to line up with frame tubes. That’s just Bicycle Marketing Photography 101.

rhys - 01/21/13 - 3:58pm

What kind of person says they “I don’t understand why anyone would want to use a bicycle as a form of transportation”??

I had to re-read that line a few times just to make sure I understood it properly.

I’ll tell you a few reasons why I ride for transportation, it’s faster than getting round by car and it is fun…

Walt - 01/21/13 - 4:18pm

Please tell me this was written tongue in cheek by BikeSnob….

vectorbug - 01/21/13 - 4:18pm

I love the site but come on guys, you spelled his name wrong in the 2nd paragraph.

Mike C - 01/21/13 - 4:31pm

^^^ (everyone)

Have y’all been on the interwebz for, like, five minutes, total, and are completely unaware of the term “troll.”

Hook, line, and sinker, he got ya…

rick - 01/21/13 - 4:50pm

Craig- please let me know when you are running a machine shop making f’ing jigs or building an integrated rack or caravaning around the country running a cyclo-cross team. Thanks.
P.S. sweet tats…

fastforward - 01/21/13 - 5:35pm

Is this guy for real? Hipster?

RealFrameFan - 01/21/13 - 6:03pm

Please, everyone here go buy a Livestrong Trek:) The Jerk rules!

B - 01/21/13 - 6:15pm

I have no idea who all these geniuses posting above me are, but I’ve heard over and over from friends in person and on forums that these are great bikes. Never heard a bad report. Who gives a shit if he doesn’t want to use a bike as transportation or if he doesn’t want to run a machine shop? It may make the interview less interesting for you but how does it have any impact on the quality of the bikes? Piss off.

carl - 01/21/13 - 6:23pm

OK then….. let’s talk about the frame, shall we? I like alu also…. my favorite beverage can be found wrapped in it, but for the life of me I can’t see his prices at all. Looking at the headtube, it looks like nothing more than one totally unshaped, great big chunk. At 3 grand there needs to be a little sex appeal. Just saying.

Devin - 01/21/13 - 8:41pm

Ahahahaha, “the Jerk” strikes again. He’s a trip, no?

bin judgin - 01/21/13 - 9:04pm

gaulzetti is soooo boston and by that i mean irrelevant

D - 01/21/13 - 10:00pm

Hmm, faster in the tunnel than any production bike? I hope Craig understands the money Look, Specialized, Felt, Cervelo, Scott, or whatever large sponsor-type brands are spending on testing their bikes in all sorts of angles of wind. And these frames?

me - 01/21/13 - 10:25pm

FES and Walser were the S#!T… 20 years ago…

wake up craig, that old wet layup consumer grade carbon clothe crap doesn’t cut it in the modern world.

John - 01/21/13 - 11:07pm

Primus Mootry @ $1300, Gaulzetti @$2900- you do the math-

Greg - 01/21/13 - 11:29pm

I think Craig will rue the day he said the following in an interview about his bikes.

“….but also making the bikes lighter and stffer”

Really, “lighter and stiffer” thats what you got for us?

gherkin - 01/22/13 - 12:29am

I thought that it was a requirement of NAHBS that in order to display your bikes you had to actually have made them. Has that been changed?

Alastair - 01/22/13 - 12:30am

You’ve got to love Internet muscles and anonymity. It’s a race bike, for racers or people that like race bikes. What Gaulzetti bicycles lack in integrated dynamo lamps they make up for in purity of purpose and functionality. As for the price, it’s an American made, hand built bicycle. If it’s not for you, so be it. Speaking for myself, I’m satisfied knowing that an American worker made a decent working wage to build my bicycle.

Sean - 01/22/13 - 7:27am

Poor, poor deluded consumers. Designing proper bikes and welding aluminum takes experience and skill to get it right. You are not paying for the material you are paying for his expertise. The Corsa is the business, only uses what it needs to get the job done. That’s where the sex appeal is.

georges - 01/22/13 - 7:56am

Amazing bikes- these are the bikes pros would ride if they werent forced to ride carbon

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/22/13 - 7:56am

Thanks bikerumor for the interview it was fun as always. Commentaters- thanks for the love and the hate. We like the bikes, we love NAHBS, and we look forward to seeing all of you in real life.

tzed250 - 01/22/13 - 8:10am

I enjoy riding my super-light carbon road bike, but I love racing my Gualzetti cross bike.

Mike the Bike - 01/22/13 - 8:18am

I love Craig cicli… Ride so nice I like to put in my headphone and listen PIERRE SUPPLY very loud!!!

teamtrinity - 01/22/13 - 8:51am

Ok…so he doesn’t actually make the frame. Yes, the tubes are sourced. Yes, someone else welds it together. So yeah, Craig is a decision maker and others do the work. But bottom line…does the bike ride well? OMG…yes it does. My previously owned bikes for my frame of reference are the following: Specialized Roubaix Expert, Blue CX6.5, BH Connect, BH G5, GT GTR Team Carbon, Van Dessel Rivet, Look 595, Cervelo P2, Cervelo P2SL, Look 595, Motobecane Fantom Cross Ti Team, Soma Double Cross, Surly Cross Check, Trek Pilot 2.1. I’ve owned cheap and expensive, steel/ti/aluminum..semi-uppity brands and “crap” brands…a pretty good mix of stuff.

So let me tell you…my Gaulzetti Corsa is nearly as comfortable as any of the other bikes I own/owned (the Look or Soma/Surly was probably the most comfy for centuries). But man…it is stiff, and the power transfer is glorious! It explodes forward with acceleration efforts like none of my other bikes. Plus…you REALLY need to see the paint in person. I don’t know who Craig has doing his paint, but it’s gorgeous!!!! It really pops in person.

Is it worth the price? That’s pretty personal. I don’t think the $200 decorative tiles my wife buys are worth it…she doesn’t think the $2500 plasma is worth over the cheaper tv’s. So value is really subjective. But I can tell you that it’s a very nice bike. And is my favorite bike I own.

Sean R - 01/22/13 - 8:52am

The only thing I miss about Boston is never having to appogize, ever,….for anything. Your bikes look real good. And it can be fun to have a cross race bike with fenders and a generator hub and what-not… however it’s REALLY fun to have a ballsy stiff V8 with straight pipes peice of race equipment, especcially if you’ve got the legs to use it.

rob noti - 01/22/13 - 9:17am

It would seem that Mr. Armstrong’s admissions have resulted in a few chapped posteriors. I’ve dealt with Craig here and there, and he’s a solid guy with good ideas, even if his beliefs and opinions don’t line up perfectly with what we feel they should. I appreciate the fact that he still feels aluminum is a relevant frame material for a race bike, that frames are offered with more traditional specs, and that they’re made here in the U.S.
When I ride my Gaulzetti, I feel like I’m floating on PIERRE SUPPLY.

WOW - 01/22/13 - 9:54am

you only get to talk like this when you’re actually building the bikes yourself. total jabroni!

Tito Bica - 01/22/13 - 9:56am

i ride many bike but gaulzetti cicli make prestigious frames that make all the women in funky prescription glasses want to make carnal with me. excellent craftmanship for morning rides while listening to PIERRE SUPPLY on walkman.

Fred - 01/22/13 - 10:15am

Yawn.

Overpriced Hard Man Race Bikes ™ for guys who drill it to the coffee shop, then wax poetic on epic things they’ve read about.

silky johnson - 01/22/13 - 10:18am

This is how these bikes get their $2900 price tag:

1) Have Ricky at Cantabrigian Mechanics [1] build you a Commonweath [2] frame for around $1900
2) Make some Gaulzetti downtube decals using a label maker; apply.
3) Resell for $2900, pocketing a $1000 cut for your hard work pretending to be a framemaker on the internet.

[1] http://www.cantabrigianmechanics.com/
[2]http://www.ridecommonwealth.com/

Support craftsmen, not the internet blowhards who try to take credit for the work of others.

Sotopath - 01/22/13 - 10:25am

PIERRE SUPPLY. What is a bike, even??

WojtekG - 01/22/13 - 12:04pm

Please forgive brutal honesty, but these bikes are nothing special at all. Boring, exorbitantly expensive, and looking nowhere near as well as NAHBS-worthy bikes. Did I mention they don’t offer custom sizing?

Must be a joke.

rob - 01/22/13 - 12:18pm

When I want to read remarks from haters I turn to the ‘Comments’ section; but when night falls and it’s time to dance, I turn to PIERRE SUPPLY.

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/22/13 - 2:03pm

i can braze frames fine- i can design tubesets fine and i can- design a “special bike” that works for my clients. what i can not do to the level of the guys i work with is tig weld aluminum. i don’t pretend to be a one man frame shop toiling away with files and hearths in his basement- but i am a bike builder. a commonwealth is not a gaulzetti. if you don’t get that- you don’t get it.

listen- materials and labor are the smallest percentage of the costs associated with building a bike frame. i am not going to bore you with the financials- but i’m not getting rich doing this- or even supplementing my income. i build the bikes i build because no one else is. if they were- i wouldn’t have to bother. listen- i love the sport, i love the sporting good, and i’m building a bike that rides better than anything else i have ever ridden. my clients are happy. i’m happy and my job is not to educate faceless internet trolls on the peculiarities of the economics of this project.

faceless troll - 01/22/13 - 2:14pm

I can’t explain why my bikes are so expensive, but it’s not the materials or labor.

-Craig Gaulzetti

cnasty - 01/22/13 - 2:14pm

These frames look amazing. Too bad I can’t afford them because I spent it all on PIERRE SUPPLY merchandise.

Adam H - 01/22/13 - 2:41pm

I think these bikes are the business. They’re no nonsense racing machines, that will appeal to a few and a good many just won’t get it.
Bill Strickland, who gets to ride just about whatever he wants, can’t say enough good things about them, and it’s the daily ride of Richard Sachs.
On the price front, if you ask Spooky to make you an aluminum frame, with this BB, oversized head tube an ISP with a topper, an ENVE fork and Chris King headset, plus paint it to the level that Circle-A does, the price is going to be about the same. No one’s saying don’t go buy a Venge, but I dig Craig’s vibe and am glad the people he employs can do crazy things like buy health insurance.
Craig, we need to talk. I need a Cazzo.

RFD - 01/22/13 - 2:44pm

Please excuse my poor grammar and written communication skills (I’m much better at G-Code and shop drawings)

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. The Corsas really are some nice frames, and I’m not saying that because I build them. Our shop is in a position where we do not have to make bikes, we can get by just fine working on precision products for the alternative energy. bio-tech, R&D, and food processing industries. In fact our accountant tells us to stop ‘fooling around with bikes’ every quarter. Why do we continue? because of people like Craig and our shared passion for cycling. This passion isn’t skin-deep at the end-consumer, but rather continues as to who is building your bikes and whether they are being produced in a fair labor and environmentally responsible manner. He could have some AMAZING frames produced overseas but has chosen not to. I could give you some line about ‘handmade cycles’ being superior, but the truth is that there are VERY talented builders all around the world. Craig, however, has chosen to build locally so as to have better control of the process and see that his $ is going to the people that actually produce his products. These people are riders, they spend their $ entering races and buying chamois cream. I personally feel this is a much more sustainable model for boutique bicycle production. People buying Craig’s frames aren’t just buying a TIG welded aluminum tube road frame, they’re buying a frame that they can proudly ride, knowing where it was made and who made it. This value-added proposition to his consumers isn’t lost on them. If he wanted to, he could purchase frames for $30 landed cost and you’d be hard-pressed to tell the difference in appearance. Though, the hidden or differed costs associated with that $30 frame are extraordinary.

As you can probably tell, I’m incredibly passionate about bikes and cycling at large. Cycling has allowed me the fortune to travel extensively, meet all sorts of new people with varying viewpoints on different matters and shape my world-view in a very global cause/effect manner. Craig has had similar experiences to me in his life and chooses to run his company in a manner that reflects these experiences. I can tell you that he and I are NOT trying to get rich on any of this. If we were trying to make $ we certainly wouldn’t be involved in cycling.

Rant over.

bin judgin - 01/22/13 - 3:20pm

while i will hate on your hilarious boston style, i am with you on there is no difference in my mind regarding the manufacturing. Moots is the same but has welders in house. Who cares?

This is why the few MTB players don’t show up. Is Cove made in NA still?

bin judgin - 01/22/13 - 3:23pm

long live small time manufacturing.

Johnny Rocket - 01/22/13 - 5:05pm

Spooky offers bikes? I thought they just offered excuses.

Nice Gaulzetti. All the fawning & hate aside, regardless, it’s great to see a solid alu. offering from a U.S.-based “builder.” Long story short it’s designed & built here, which is better than designed AND built “there.”

Steve M - 01/22/13 - 5:34pm

Tragically hip

scooter - 01/22/13 - 7:01pm

Love mine!

Shamrock Cycles - 01/22/13 - 7:29pm

Horse for courses. Build on say I. Craig my man, when we are both hanging out in the Mountain time zone next month I am buying you a beer. I’m proud to call you a pal.

Tim O’Donnell- Shamrock Cycles

Icarus - 01/22/13 - 8:57pm

Let me guess… He was riding a fixie until a couple of years ago? No offense but better move to plan b if you have one. US cycling reached the point of no return.

D - 01/22/13 - 9:44pm

Could I please, still get an explanation for the tunnel test he so called claims? I dig the frames. They’re decent looking and handmade to spec for racers is awesome also. But would like to hear more than exaggerations and false marketing, unless, there is some sort of wind tunnel data I’m missing.

Bubbrubb - 01/22/13 - 9:59pm

A coworker in our shop ordered one. 8 months later it arrived. Without a derailleur hanger. After chasing after them for 6 weeks he had to source one elsewhere.
In the end he sold the frame because he could buy a CAAD10 which rode the same and have a lot of $ left over lol

Nick - 01/22/13 - 10:29pm

It’s absolutley ridiculous the amount of hate about these frames. Even if he was riding a “Fixie” (btw use of that word imo solidifys your fredlyness) He was riding a bike and now is making awesome US made race frames. Everyone should be thankful that “fixies” caught on (aesthetically)or you would all be riding madones with flame paintjobs on your epic 16mph rides.

Swoop - 01/22/13 - 11:07pm

I what love to know which pros would ride his bikes if they weren’t forced to ride carbon. I never would have expected him to resort to slogans and the like to sell his product. Next he will be telling us how the plane!

ManGotMeDown - 01/23/13 - 12:19am

^^^
excellent post.

I’ve actually ridden one of these. It is excellent.

People that boo-hoo the price need actually look @ the cost of high-end race equipment. This is in line with a madone/tarmac/whatever else, and less expensive but rides better than a dogma, and is about the same weight.

People seem to not understand just how much stuff is marked up @ every point in the supply and distribution chain in retail. If these bikes cost Craig 1900 dollars of labor/materials, the markup would be absurdly low.

Icarus - 01/23/13 - 12:42am

Nick, probably you are not even in your 30′s… Your comment is just laughable. Like this guy bikes. I would also like to know why he uses Italian words for his brand and models? It seemed to be proud to produce MADE IN USA? But you use cicli instead than cycling? I think this is not going to fly… Better use the trust fund money somewhere else. The only thing this guy accomplish is making Americans look like idiots.

Sean - 01/23/13 - 2:24am

Icarus, I’m sure Craig doesn’t need us to stick up for him if you had spent anytime conversing with him you’d know exactly where he is coming from. Why so much disdain for his products? He is selling arguably the best Al. race frame out there at the moment for what is a fair price when you consider everything involved. If you looked a little closer he does do custom geometries and makes no apoligies for making what he thinks is the best race frame out there. So what if he calls his bikes what ever the hell he wants. Baum uses Italian coffee names, I don’t see anyone having a whinge about that. I just don’t get the hate at all. As a point of interest, what do you ride?

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/23/13 - 8:17am

I worked with some pretty cool modeling software and an aerospace engineer to quantify the aerobenefits of the new bike. Kim and the guys at the MIT tunnel have some pretty amazing baseline stuff to compare against and the full size prototype will be lined up in their before too long. To be honest, I kind of cheated….the bike compares favourably to other aerosols road bikes principally because of how skinny it is, how tucked the bb is, and most importantly how narrow the stance of the rider is. A lot of its development stems from what I learnedly when I took a Walser in the MIT wind tunnel a while back.

Icarus - 01/23/13 - 8:18am

So… Let me understand… He designed the best handling race bikes (including mtb) but he never raced and he has very limited experience riding and actual bike? Same thing for baum or whatever they are called. All packaging and branding. I mean… 3k for an aluminum frame! For that much, you can get an actual real American fame builder to make you a frame will last for years. His frames should be in the $800 range to be fair. and… Why is the cazzo model the one using the smaller tubing!? No sense.

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/23/13 - 8:22am

Sorry for the typos-cell phone incompetence.

As for the names- my name ends in a vowel and my bikes are all race bikes in the Italian tradition. Also when I started this project, my friend and confidant and hero Dario Pegoretti would tease me and kept referring to the project as “gaulzetti cicli” I like how the ending vowel sounds resonate and that’s why ever bike except the chunder mountainbike have Italian names.

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/23/13 - 8:26am

Icarus- I raced road bikes for years. I don’t ride a fixed gear, I don’t know where your vitriol stems from, nut my bikes are fine- and if you read closer you will realize the Cazzo is steel- steel tubes arr smaller than alloy tubes with similar charachteristics. We wanted to build a race bike with slightly more clearance and more stable handling- the steel pipes let me do that and still keep the wheelbase where I want it to be.

Adam H - 01/23/13 - 8:53am

Icarus, how do you get to the point where you believe the frames should be $800? The made in America ENVE fork is $407, the made in American Chris King headset is $170, throw in the Ritchey ISP topper at $100. You’re getting up to $700 already and haven’t even gotten the frame.

me - 01/23/13 - 9:13am

what have we learned here?

dont do the bikerumor nahbs funny business.

watch this post get yanked….

teamtrinity - 01/23/13 - 9:41am

icarus is just a troll. he is illogical. like i said…i’ve owned a lot of bikes from high end to low end, boutique to chinese mass production. the corsa is the best bike i have ever owned, by a large margin.

ride one before you criticize it. as for price…just shut up. if you think it’s not worth it, the just buy something else! do you rant on and on about the price of once brand of ketchup at the grocery store compared to another? or do you just buy the cheaper ketchup and go about your shopping happily believing you got a good deal? just go on happily with the bike you have.

The butler did it. - 01/23/13 - 10:10am

There are cyclists and there are bicycle fetishists. Craig makes bikes for people who ride hard. He makes tools. I’ve had the opportunity to ogle a few, and beautiful tools they are. He designed the pipes for the Corsa. Pego-Richie tubing fulfilled his needs for the Cazzo. He designs each bike for each customer. And he has highly skilled US workers connecting the dots.

His bikes are his bikes in every way.

If you don’t get it, then that’s just too bad.

digi - 01/23/13 - 1:24pm

oh and Craig, You are not a bike builder, you simply assemble them with all the pre-made parts, but you know, that obviously takes all the skill in the world that’s why bike shops hire Mechanical engineers to assemble their bikes…..Oh wait…..they don’t….

digi - 01/23/13 - 1:25pm

wow, Way to go mods, Deleting comments that Call him out. Well done…

digi - 01/23/13 - 1:26pm

How much does he pay bike rumor for their “reviews”

digi - 01/23/13 - 1:27pm

Sorry but Craig makes bikes for Cyclist who ride with a hard on for him. They aren’t beautiful, they look like a monkey welded them, the paint works sucks, they rarely have all the parts they need to be completed(see the derailleur hanger post) The geometry sucks, a Friend had a cross frame, had to Cut the pads in half on the rear brakes for clearance, Great Design there bub.

He also doesnt design each bike for each customer, you get a size and move on.

He doesn’t design tube-sets, come on, do you know whats involved in that? What skill set does he have that would allow him to do that?

He claims the virtue of his bikes are the best ever. Then why does he work at a Trek Concept Store? Does he only sell people the aluminum bike there? If he doesn’t, than he is full of crap and holds no bearing.

Whatever, I’m done, this guy sucks, His Bikes suck, they Ride like a Hammer being rammed up my ass and corner like a pregnant whale. I guess I “don’t get it” because I’m not willing to swallow all that is the Genius of Name Dropping Gaulzetti.

hey Craig, is every Italian Frame builder your close personal friend? I’m sure they are, I mean look at your frames…They are so revolutionary.

J Girl - 01/23/13 - 2:06pm

I’m no hater but the prices do seem to be a bit high considering the paint is pretty much just a solid color.

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/23/13 - 2:53pm

digi-
in response:

-of course i make bikes for people who have a “hard on” as you put it. it’s an emotional purchase.

-everyone in the bicycle industry would agree that the guy who has done the vast majority of our welding is one of the best TIG welders in the industry.

-circle a and parlee do our paint jobs. i have never heard anyone complain about the quality of their work.

-i don’t even know what the missing parts thing is about. someone bought a bike and didn’t get a hanger? i do not know the details of this- but suffice it to say we do pride ourselves on customer service and our new hanger design is available at any bike shop.

-i do draft a new frame design for every client. sometimes there are no changes in the geometry from a previously produced frame- but there is always a new draft for each bike and every frame is built to order.

-i think my bikes handle fine-my clients think they’re fine. the few cross bikes that are out there all ride great and the riders seem to like them.

-of course i designed the Corsa’s tubesets. Companies like Dedacciai and Colombus are more than happy to work with small builders on custom and proprietary tube designs.

- your comment regarding my employment is ridiculous and irrelevant. my bikes are right for a very small amount of the cycling community. the vast majority of folks would be better served by a hybrid- some might prefer a dogma or a madone- of course i like my bikes but there isn’t a cookie cutter bike for everyone. what makes you think i think there is? i’m building the best race bike i can.

–every italian frame builder a personal friend? what are you asking? is this in reference to dario pegoretti? yes, he is my friend and no my frames are not “revolutionary”. they’re just competent race bikes that i like.

you don’t have to like me or my bikes- but personally attacking someone is quite cruel. no one is forcing you to devote any time or emotion to a stupid little bike company in boston. i never claimed to be perfect or the best- i just love cycling and i love my bikes and yeah, i’ll go to the mat for’em.

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/23/13 - 3:14pm

Gaulzetti Cicli has never advertized anywhere and never will. We do not advertize here or on any other website or publication.

phoooey - 01/23/13 - 3:17pm

This interview has several ‘gems’ that really put a stick in my wheel. I feel like I have head to toe road rash.
Its first off odd, revealing and sad that of the inner circle of the NAHBS crew that you are even allowed to exhibit. There was formerly a rule that no contract builders could exhibit, or even have their bikes in other company booths. You don’t build bikes. You get the building contracted. This is one of many exceptions I’ve seen go down that reveals that at NAHBS its really not about who you are as a builder or even if you are a builder- its who you know. You’ve established yourself in the inner circle of the frame builders and congratulations for it. You spend a seemingly enormous amount of time as the self proclaimed “The Jerk” typing out books worth of your say in the VSalon framebuilders forum. Your attitude and stubborness has earned you a following of people who think “you tell it like it is.” Congratulations. You still are not a frame builder. I find it offensive that you have been allowed to bend the rules of NAHBS and be admitted into the frame building world simply because you share the tunnel vision pretentiousness of some of the old dogs. I find it offensive that you can’t wrap your head around why a bike is ALSO good for transportation, and how you clearly could never stomach exerting your precious energy on MAKING tools or bikes- and yet you profit off all those things. You own a store that sells bikes for transportation and perpetuates the generic, cookie cutter overseas manufactured bikes and you make $$$ off all that. Then your Gaulzetti brand charges literally TWICE as much as a FULLY CUSTOM, individually sized, custom designed, US made with custom selected tubes frame- by someone who actually makes it. The Gaulzettis are gorgeous, they are well made, they support a US builder, which is great but I doubt your fit philosophy works for most of your customers who dare shell out the dough. Only half the euro pros can handle that much bar drop, let alone a middle aged guy. Your “expertise” doesn’t actually give that rider value in that case, so what are they paying for? They are paying a lot for a bike that isn’t going to fit or be comfortable, when they could have paid half to an assortment of other builders to get just as well crafted a bike that is actually built for THEM as opposed to you. All this makes it seem like the value you provide is the name and the pride some of your niche of customers have just knowing that they bought a really, really expensive limited option bike- that means it must be good right? You are doing the real builders, real riders and real bike consumers a disservice. Add in some insincere self portraits and you get some harsh commentary.

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/23/13 - 4:00pm

Hi Phooey-

I appreciate your comments. Some clarifications: Gaulzettis are not “contracted”. Everything with the exception of the paint that goes in to building our bikes is ours. Of course we pay people to do the work, so does just about every other bike builder that isn’t a one man shop. My bikes are not odd geometrically. They are regular road bikes with regular proven angles and geometries. My “fit philosophy” whatever that means, does not need to work for everyone. It needs to work for my clients and it does.

Anyone who could “fit” on a stock Pinarello or De Rosa or Tarmac or Madone can achieve their same contact points on one of my bikes built according to the geometry chart on our site- anyone who can’t, well, that’s why we build bikes for each individual client athlete.

If you find it “offensive” that I do not want to be everything to everyone and just want to build race bikes, you are either very easily offended or need to look out side. I spend 50 hours a week running a bike shop- getting kids and adults on bikes and encouraging bicycle use. Just because my passion is road racing and I am not interested in building commuting bikes or commuting on a bike myself doesn’t make any less an advocate for those with that agenda.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a bike with the same quality of materials, craftsmenship and paint at a price lower than what we are charging. If you can, buy it-because the economic realities would not make it a sustainable business model.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I do appreciate them for the most part.

Walt - 01/23/13 - 4:00pm

Rock Lobster – same pipes, custom for you, made in CA by a 30 year builder who races a ton: <half the $.
Primus Mootry – same pipes, raced at freaking WORLD'S by studs, made for you: <half the $.
3d racing – same pipes, custom for you, made in CO by a longtime builder: quoted individually, but I guarantee much cheaper.

And there are many more doing this, and doing it very very well. As a bonus they won't inflict cellphone pictures of their tattoos on you via the internet.

-W

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/23/13 - 4:15pm

Walt-
I am not competing on price- but let’s get some facts straight. If you add the price of the fork, the seat mast topper, the 44mm headtube, the PF30 shell, the Chris King Headset and a wet paint job you get very, very close to what we charge for the frameset. Our complete bike packages of course represent our best values and I think a Gaulzetti, a PM or a 3d would all work out to within a few bucks of each other…..and honestly- all of those guys you mention do phenomenal work and we all (you included) are under selling ourselves with our pricing.

Sorry for the infliction of cell phone selfies- it’s a tough habit to break when you’re a teen idol with data plan and facebook page….but the kids love’em.

Craig

phoooey - 01/23/13 - 4:23pm

Thanks for the clarifications. Do you work for Cantabrigian mechanics? For Richard D? Do you own that shop? Or do you have a contract and arrangement to build your brand through their shop? I understand you use standard angles just like every single other road bike on the market, I’m talking about your idea of how a bike should fit. Most people don’t fit anywhere near perfect on the majority of stock Pinarellos, De Rosas, Madones etc, thats why its a great idea to get a custom bike fitted to you, and that can be done at half the price of your bikes. Your fit philosophy seems to have a crapload of bar drop. It looks really cool. It also doesn’t work for most people. Even the aero benefits (wind tunnel tested or not) of being in a back wrenching, arm exhausting, harsh integrated seat tube jamming your butt in the air position is only going to benefit your riders when they are 20+ mph speeds. You mention some custom fitting- do you offer this? When a middle aged rider comes to you who can average 18mph how much drop do you spec on a custom model?

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/23/13 - 4:48pm

Gaulzetti Cicli is an LLC and the officers of the corporation include me and Ricky. We share a space with Cantabrigian- and our method of compensation towards our workers is pretty much industry standard. We have insurance, we get mail, I even get to use a desk sometimes. sharing a facility and staff and tooling with a full service machine shop is amazing. it has allowed us to prototype and build our own drop-outs, shells, head tubes and cable guides i can be around and try not to get in the way too much of the guys doing the real work.

most of the pictures you see of my bikes are built before we cut the mast and (gulp) shopped to minimize the amount of spacers. you are 100% correct- age, flexibility and most importantly rigor of effort all determine how much hip flexion a rider needs to be most efficient and most comfortable. i urge you to look at some of the owners’ galleries to see how a myriad of clients have set up their bikes.

that being said, modern road bike geometry in the italian tradition, developed because it is the most efficient and comfortable geometry for riding at various efforts for a long time over a variety of road conditions. in the same way, that say, the “superman” position or the “egg” position may quantifiably be the most efficient position for an hour record attempt- the modern “pro” road position is the most efficient position for riding 4-6 hours on the road at varying tempos. can everyone ride in the “egg” position? of course not! but a large percentage of individuals with any baseline fitness can achieve a proper road bike position. i’m always amazed by the middle age and elderly people who look great on their bikes in europe- they’ve just adapted to what is right and comfortable and works.

we have built bikes with anywhere from zero saddle to bar drop to the equally absurd outlier measurements you see on my personal bikes- it’s all good.

Kristibee - 01/23/13 - 4:50pm

@digi – we do not get paid for reviews. This article isn’t a “review” it is an “interview”, but we didn’t get paid for it either. We delete comments for a few reasons, but in this case, we’ve deleted a few that are personal attacks with no useful commentary.

TJ - 01/23/13 - 4:57pm

These comments are hilarious . How many of you people hating on Craig have ever spoken to him? The dude knows bikes, period. Takes just a minute of talking with him and that fact is crystal clear.
The Corsa is a no excuses race bike. If that doesn’t appeal to you feel free to move along. Just don’t bash a guy for being passionate about bikes and pursing building the what he feels is the best race bike he can. He is a character , I will give you that. Hell, if everyone was the same this would be a pretty boring place.

Bike RIder - 01/23/13 - 5:07pm

I’m sure your bikes ride just as well as any other road race specific frame out there. The cold hard truth is that making a decent road frame is not that difficult and certainly is no secret. Some Jerk once said that the Italians figure out the right geometry for a race bike many years ago. That was true then and it is still true today.

I’m disappointed in all the BS marketing spew that you have resorted to, not to mention the name dropping.

You have spent years on the internet dissin companies for the same BS.

phoooey - 01/23/13 - 5:11pm

Someone made a silly comment that got deleted criticising you for getting involved with the comments. I think its great you are responding to these comments. I’m sorry to say that in the context of the interview alone some people were clearly rubbed the wrong way. Your response above about your arrangement/LLC shed a lot more light that your brand is a full partnership with the builder, thank you for elaborating. Explaining that the pics are often with the seat mast uncut also explains a lot. Can you also elaborate on whether you are offering stock frames or custom? It sounded in some of your comments but was unclear that you either offer custom as an option or do a fitting with each?

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/23/13 - 5:38pm

phooey-
honestly, i have the “stock” geometry chart in order to kind of self select my clients….it helps tell part of the big story that we build race bikes. i don’t like to let people down or say “no”, but if someone comes to me looking for a commuter bike, or a touring bike, or a drop-bar hybrid i have a professional obligation to point them towards someone who can build them what they want and make them happy.

in reality, it’d be tough to say how many bikes are “custom”, they’re all made to order almost every frame gets tweaked and worked although i am usually starting from where i think the wheels need to be given the rider. i fit folks in person, but i am also prepared to build frames based on pictures, videos, discussions or even off contact points and morphology. in most cases, this ain’t the client’s first rodeo!

i build made to order race bikes i guess is what i am saying. people come to me because they trust that i’m going to put the wheels in the right place and build them a fast, comfortable, good handling bike that looks great…..and i know i can come across as pompous and myopic but i am 100% convinced that i do my best to do that and that i make a nice bike.

i don’t mind replying to the comments.

wskeekit - 01/23/13 - 8:25pm

Wow, on the frames and the comments! I had to read through these as a good friend and one of the most passionate cyclists I know, recently ordered one. I think he will love this frame and I am pumped that he actually took the plunge on it.

To the haters-”fixies” “hipsters” really? You come off as ironically out of touch. Hipsters have sleeves and plugs anyway (ask your teenager what those are) and they would never reference Flipper, that’s roots Craig! His bikes look incredible and whether something is worth it or not, is up the buyer as teamtrinity pointed out. To those who think you have to hold the torch to provide a good product, I disagree. As Walt-who commented on this thread- recently wrote on his site, people who are solely welders, are better at welding than those in multi-faceted rolls.

I would consider a Gaulzetti. Craig has taste and I don’t even know the the guy. I will say hello at NAHBS and droll over his frames though as this whole thing has me longing for the snap of aluminum again.

BikeTart - 01/24/13 - 1:26am

I can’t ride bikes with a massive saddle-to-bar drop. Guess what? I have a ‘zetti on the way (see – custom geometry, made FOR ME).

Pretty bikes make my world go around. Guess what? I chose a ‘zetti (they look AMAZING).

I have a very nice, quite light, Baum with Di2. Guess what? I expect to ride my ‘zetti (with Chorus that’s likely to be a good kilogram heavier) *much* more.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to investigate this PIERRE SUPPLY chap…

Cross Boss - 01/24/13 - 6:57am

Question for Craig,

I’m considering a new cross bike that I can also use as a off season trainer. Will you put water bottle bosses and fender mounts on your bikes?

Icarus - 01/24/13 - 9:40am

So… You called “cazzo” (google the meaning) the bike with the “small” tubing, not the one with the “big” tubing?

That pretty much sums up what this brand is all about. Stop pretending to be tough, you are not.

AND a really stiff aluminum racing bike? Let’s recycle some 90′s design? And what is so innovative about these bikes? The bad amateur graphics? Standard cable routing?

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/24/13 - 10:35am

Icarus-
I am maintaining my cool and engaging people here in the face of ignorant, mean and stupid comments such as yours. I would say this is proof positive of just how tough I am.

CrossBoss-

In general our cross bikes have been purpose built race bikes with the geometry suited for that. So while I would be happy to give you the option of braze-ons, I would not alter the geometry or build a rad bike with cantis or a touring bike or a commuter bike- although for anyone looking for something like that I would be happy to give you referneces to some great builders who specialize in those types of bikes.

Bike Rider-
I still agree with those sentiments and I do not see where I have engaged here or elsewhere in any BS marketing semantics. Again- I don’t really care about the “market” when it comes to this part of my life- I care about making the best sporting good I can for my favorite sport.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Craig

thecorona - 01/24/13 - 10:49am

trolls eventualy fall into the sea.

Great bikes Craig! I have not had a full alum frame in a long time but I love that quick and snappy feel. Maybe it is time to get rid of the carbon?! thanks for the laughs people!

Richard S. - 01/24/13 - 12:52pm

This dude doesn’t even make “his” bikes. Why bother featuring this type of thing – it’s a bit disingenuous that he’s even putting himself out there as a “builder”.
Those toothpaste welds look like crap too. And, the single color paint shows a total lack of skill. Zzzzzzz. Try some real builders next time.

CalvinNeuman - 01/24/13 - 1:13pm

All I have to add is that the ACDC cover spoof needs to be on a tshirt – because just like bicycles, one can never have enough tshirts.

CBR - 01/24/13 - 1:36pm

To Walt & Craig;
Regarding pricing, I’m a recent Primus Mootry customer (spring, 2012). These are the prices that I paid for my PM Kluisberg (Joe’s custom aluminum frameset) last year. The frame was custom (not one of Joe’s stock sizes), single colour paint (not sure if it’s powder or wet) with contrasting panels. Also, my Kluisberg does not have an integrated seat mast, although apparently Joe can do that as an option.

I’ve included the cost of the post here, to keep the price comparison as close to apples-to-apples as possible. ENVE tapered Fork, CK 7 headset, Easton EA90 post are therefore all included in the cost, to make it as direct a comparison to the Corsa’s frameset package (which includes the ENVE tapered Fork, CK 7 headset, and seatmast topper in lieu of a post).

Primus Mootry Kluisberg full custom frame. Joe chooses different aluminum tubing as required for my weight and riding style. 44mm HT & PF30 BB shell and seat clamp are included at no extra charge:
$1150.00
ENVE Tapered Fork (purchased at LBS): $400.00
CK Inset 7 headset (purchased at LBS): $148.50
Easton EA90 alloy post 31.6mm (purchased on sale at LBS): $36.50

TOTAL: $1735.00

I noticed that Primus Mootry’s pricing has gone up by $150 for the frame. I was also lucky in finding a quality post for a very low price. So to be fair, substituting the above pricing for the current, 2013 Kluisberg price of $1300 and a quality carbon post like a 3T Doric Team post, I get this new total:

TOTAL FOR 2013: $1988.50

So the facts show that a comparable Primus Mootry Kluisberg is not half the price of a Gaulzetti Corsa, but there is also a $1000 difference at the 2013 price. Again, while the two are comparable in features, they are not quite identical.

To be fair, I should point out again that the pricing for the PM Kluisberg is for a non-mast frame but with the cost of a seatpost included, and I don’t know whether the paint is powder or wet (and if powder, what the additional cost is for wet).

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/24/13 - 2:06pm

Richard S.-

I am a builder. I build bikes. The vast majority of custom frame manufacturers are not one man shops. Can I and have I welded? Yes. Can I and have I mitered tubes? Of course. The only operation in the production of my bicycles that I have no experience doing is working the machines that make our drop-outs and other small parts. That being said, there are guys who are much better at all those tasks than me. They’re professionals at it. Despite my name being on the downtube- we are a team and we all bring distinct skills that result in a great product that meets and exceeds my expectations and high standards every single time.

Good aluminum welds always look like that unless they are shaved down after production. Anyone who knows anything about TIG welding knows that the welds on our bikes are some of the best in the business.

We like simple paint jobs with painted logos. Of course, we have done complicated multi-colored jobs for clients wanting that.

Thanks for reading.

TJ - 01/24/13 - 3:32pm

Icarus – 01/24/13 – 9:40am
AND a really stiff aluminum racing bike? Let’s recycle some 90?s design? And what is so innovative about these bikes? The bad amateur graphics? Standard cable routing?

Dude, really? You seem to be the one trying to come across as “tough”

Craig Gaulzetti - 01/24/13 - 5:02pm

Calvin-

We’ll have the Cazzo t-shirts on sale at NAHBS. For probably two to three times what you could buy a t-shirt for from a real t-shirt manufacturer like Hanes.

CBR-
Thanks for that. Joe builds great bikes for sure. To clarify further, He used decals and powder coat paint and the fork wasn’t painted either. If you compare pricing on powder coating versus a wet two color paint job with complex masking for the rooster and logos- you’re looking at at least another $300. We also use a different tubeset, different drop-outs and different small parts.

At the end of the day a Gaulzetti is a Gaulzetti and a Primus Mootry is a Primus Mootry. Someone who wants one probably isn’t cross shopping the other. They’re not “the same” and I again stand by the fact that my frames are worth what we charge for them. At the end of the day, you can buy a bike frame for $100 or $6000 and it’s often an emotional decision. My bikes represent all of my experience and knowledge and I’m very proud of them and the way they ride.

Craig

Feldy - 01/24/13 - 5:59pm

I’m not going to participate in the bulk of this (deleted) but whatever side of the argument you’re on, this is pretty damn funny:

>We’ll have the Cazzo t-shirts on sale at NAHBS. For probably two to three times what you could buy a t-shirt for from a real t-shirt manufacturer like Hanes