Found: Z-torque Bicycle Cranks

Speed holes, questionable reasoning, square tapered cranks, and dash of crowdfunding. I think that’s everything you need to know.

These cranks, dubbed the Z-Torque, are a “modern” attempt at rehashing one of those crazy ideas from the 80′s. Back then, these bent style cranks where marketed by P.M.P. for $140 wholesale.

The crazy angled cranks are supposed to increase leverage by increasing the length of the crank arm while still keeping your pedals in the same position. Confused? Just hop past the break for the video…

A $75 contribution nets you a pair of these unique cranks. At that price, it might be worth picking up a set for that extra special touch on your town fixie/ss rig. Can’t think of anything better than this or a leather top tube mounted 6-pack holder to impress the local hipsters with.

Interestested? Support their campaign here

Comments

vulgar bulgar - 01/08/13 - 3:44am

yo dawg I heard you like physics so I put a crank on your crank so you can pedal while you look like an idiot for buying those.

Ryan - 01/08/13 - 4:26am

What the last person said. These should come with an “entertainment purposes only” label. You want to sweeten your commuter with something USEFUL? How about THIS kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solgaarddesign/the-interlocktm-the-lock-that-hides-inside-of-your

Mark - 01/08/13 - 4:26am

Epic failure, what have they been doing in high school during physics?

Mindless - 01/08/13 - 4:40am

Wut? Jebus, one facepalm does not cover this.

Fundamental lack of knowledge on basic mechanics. Epic fail.

MagliaRosa - 01/08/13 - 5:41am

I think vulgar bulgar has a point – isn’t the bend just a load of extra metal taking a circuitous route from the effective point of leverage to the fulcrum; the effective length of the lever is still that between the pedal axle and the BB centre. Then again I wasn’t great at mechanics at school and that was a long time ago…

MagliaRosa - 01/08/13 - 5:42am

… then again none of this will matter to your local hipster who will first and foremost be impressed by their “originality” (like dog sh!t-flavour ice-cream would be original – doesn’t mean it’s a good idea).

Singletrackroadie - 01/08/13 - 5:43am

Really? This is not a joke? I am certainly no mechanic, but even I can figure out this is the worst idea ever. Please run those cranks past Pat (the man I have the least respect for) at the UCI before even thinking of making those. Bet you he will love a little laugh so early in 2013. I love innovation, but really, this is just stupid.

Singletrackroadie - 01/08/13 - 5:45am

@MagliaRosa – my thinking as well on both your posts.

Fytze - 01/08/13 - 6:00am

they’ve tried before on Kickstarter, with a different (even funnier) video. Wonder if it’s not just a joke

Nash - 01/08/13 - 6:24am

(deleted)!!

Gunnstein - 01/08/13 - 6:52am

Hah! I will beat them with my new SpaghettiCranks(TM) – 2 meters long, but the same 175 mm crank to pedal distance, giving you nearly 12 times the power, and all the bends means you have built in suspension and torque averaging! Preorder now! Free lunch included!

Hell Yeah! - 01/08/13 - 7:44am

has anyone really tried them? Im sure not. Look, they may not work but BUT they might just work really well.

wamshitley - 01/08/13 - 7:55am

Please. Stop it.

Eric NM - 01/08/13 - 8:03am

Doesn’t anyone remember “Punk’d!”?

(Kudos, Jason. Well done!)

Eddiecycle - 01/08/13 - 8:29am

I suspect this is yet another kickstarter scam. I question whether any product would be released if they reached the $7,500 goal or if Mr Physics pays his rent for a few months. I hear that the economy is really bad there in FL :-)

Segg - 01/08/13 - 8:50am

This “idea” makes all engineers cry. I can’t believe they are serious.

Josh - 01/08/13 - 8:58am

Pretty sure this is a joke. (deleted)

Morgan - 01/08/13 - 9:30am

Good lord. If they really try to make it out of carbon, with that mold shown on http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1202837765/z-torque-bicycle-cranks-ride-faster-longer-easier, someone will surely rack their balls the second they stand up on the pedals. I’m without words right now, and feel slightly more stupid after watching the video.

Guy Faux - 01/08/13 - 9:34am

Dude I love it. Free country. I’d buy it if were under 100$ for a weird bike

JoJo BeeBop - 01/08/13 - 10:16am

Holy crap! I don’t think this guy realizes that he may have actually stumbled upon a perpetual motion machine! This could solve all the world’s energy needs!

NotAMachinist - 01/08/13 - 10:22am

If you mount them backward you can travel through time!

MagliaRosa - 01/08/13 - 10:34am

@Fytze – I see your point, he’s just taking the piss. Does well to maintain a straight face.

Kark - 01/08/13 - 11:25am

I miss Sheldon. He did this stuff so well.

Chad - 01/08/13 - 11:49am

Next level trolling.

topcheese - 01/08/13 - 11:51am

Am I the only one who noticed the lack of a chain ring spider? Even the PMP cranks (that failed miserably as well) have a way to attach a chain ring! i cannot stop laughing at this. I saw the original Kickstarter video a few months ago and even then it was ludicrous.

JMG DC - 01/08/13 - 12:15pm

But does it go to 11?

jlie - 01/08/13 - 12:51pm

The list of BS posted on this blog keeps on growing.

plum - 01/08/13 - 1:12pm

This actually makes a lot of sense. Wait I was thinking of something else.

plum - 01/08/13 - 1:15pm

. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./…..\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>–==“
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

Your Face - 01/08/13 - 3:07pm

Those are blatant copies of the 1970′s Campy cranks.

Ck - 01/08/13 - 3:24pm

I can’t believe after the new hole he was torn on Kickstarter that he went to some crap copy of that site and tried to sell this scam to people again..

RUSTYDOGG - 01/08/13 - 4:53pm

If anybody cares and is too lazy to Google, I found a little info on the past iterations;

DaleC - 01/08/13 - 7:44pm

PT Barnum would be so proud.

Frank - 01/08/13 - 8:39pm

Chadquest with the ASCII Picard face palm FTW!

Jonny - 01/08/13 - 9:18pm

@vulgar bulgar

Best comment ever, I love you man.

bin judgin - 01/08/13 - 11:47pm

the united states isnt known for its great education system…

JimmyZ - 01/10/13 - 1:58am

this design allows for even more speed holes than a traditional crank could accommodate

More speed holes for the winnnn

buzz - 01/15/13 - 3:06am

is that guy in the video part asian?

Jim - 01/15/13 - 5:18pm

So what’s the virtual crank length ?

me thinks Medicine Man selling snake oil