Overade Folding Bicycle Helmet Release Date Set, First Models Shipping Soon

Overade Folding Bicycle Helmet White Black

Last year we heard word of the Overade prototype bicycle helmet development in France. Though the details were fuzzy at the time, we looked forward to the official release, and to the production model. Now, the details are in and official release date is set for spring.

With a four step compacting process that cuts the helmet down to a third of its size, it seems pretty self explanatory and easy to use. The outer shell is a fairly standard ABS with a dark grey polystyrene on the inside. They’re offering it in white and black. Sizes are S-M (54-58cm) or L-XL (58-61cm) and weight is between 350g and 400g depending on size. List price is $97 for the helmet on the Ulele page. They also offer two accessories, a helmet cover and a visor. For the helmet plus one accessory, pricing is $116. For both accessories pricing is $129.

Granted, the Overade hasn’t received any safety certification at this point, but they claim it’ll pass the test for the¬†European standard EN1078 when the helmets ship. Folding and accessory details after the break…

overade folding helmet white black

overade folding bicycle helmet with visor white black

With visor attachment

overade bicycle helmet with visor with cover black white

With both visor and helmet cover equipped

For the full rundown and history of the helmet, and ordering information, visit the Overade’s Ulule site.

Comments

Xris - 01/07/13 - 11:05pm

Folding helmets should be tested more stringently than current CPSC grade helmets. Moving parts and small joints, clips, hinges, and buckles give more failure points than a regular helmet comprised of high grade foam and/or carbon would. Not saying it’s a silly idea, but one that needs to be looked at closer to properly create a helmet that doesn’t look like it’s made to crush your skull in the even of a rear or front impact.

Emily - 01/07/13 - 11:08pm

There is no reason that I can find to make my helmet smaller than my head. I got hit my a mini-van 7 Dec’13. My head was so well encased in my Lazer O2, I had no clue that my head had really even impacted the ground. When I went to the fire department to pick up my busted up bike, I saw my helmet for the first time (not in shock and thinking my pelvis was broke), yeah, was tore up.

Taught me the real importance of a quality helmet.

If it folds in, I’d be afraid it will fold in in a wreck.

PASS.

Canucklehead - 01/07/13 - 11:48pm

It needs front and rear flasher lights. …and make the transformer noise.

Folding aside, I inherently trust this more than the helmet that pops out of the collar/one-time-use.

Gillis - 01/08/13 - 12:32am

@Canuklehead

+1 for the transformer comment.

Raul - 01/08/13 - 12:45am

I feel as though the only way it would fold on you during a crash is if your head collapsed…in which case the same thing would happen with a standard non-folding helmet during a crash. Unless there is an assisted mechanism inside capable of crushing your skull.

Jason - 01/08/13 - 12:50am

Will it rattle?

Joe - 01/08/13 - 3:22pm

If your storage area can’t accomodate a regular helmet, how would they have space for the bicycle?

Canucklehead - 01/08/13 - 3:46pm

@Emily:
I don’t think you understand what a “crumple zone” is.

Additionally, in the event of an injury there is swelling. That’s part of how the body heals, so wearing something that prevents swelling is not a good idea either.

Psi Squared - 01/08/13 - 4:15pm

Canucklehead,

The problematic swelling from a head injury doesn’t occur on the outside of the head. It happens inside the cranium. A helmet, small or not, would not worsen the swelling. That’s not to say that this helmet is a good thing.

Canucklehead - 01/08/13 - 6:07pm