BioFloat Seatpost Allows Bicycle Saddle to Pitch, Roll & Yaw With You

cantitoe-road-biofloat-elastomer-mount-bicycle-seatpost

Cantitoe Road’s concept BioFloat takes an entirely different approach to isolating the rider from vibrations and small bumps.

The BioFloat seatpost uses a clamshell elastomer to trap the saddle rail clamp, completely separating it from the alloy outer clamp. This not only diffuses vibrations and shocks, it provides 360┬║ of “float” for the saddle, letting it truly move with you as you pedal. The elastomers are stiff enough to keep the seat in place, but the package combines the benefits of saddles with flexible shells and unidirectional seatposts like the Cirrus Body Float. The amount of flex can be adjusted by using firmer or softer elastomers.

Word is it’ll be around 245g with a target retail of $200 if and when they go into production.

Comments

Stuart - 11/27/12 - 9:07am

This hase been on the drawing board for a while I think… I recall seeing something on their site for it about 5 years ago.

pmurf - 11/27/12 - 10:40am

Not too shabby of a target weight (if they can hit it, that is) compared to other “suspended” solutions.

stratosrally - 11/27/12 - 10:58am

Unfortunate company name, however – paired with an oddball saddle mount concept I immediately pictured awkward crotch-shots…

Look, I’ve got cantitoe!

Don’t get me wrong – I do like the idea.

G.Clinton - 11/27/12 - 11:00am

meh

Texast - 11/27/12 - 11:05am

I rode this seatpost (under a different name) about 5-6 years ago
Not bad but the floating, tipping and twisting effect is no bueno. Shock absorbtion should not be combined with twisty, floating effects. Climbing on the nose of the saddle with this seatpost is pretty scary

EpicThroatBeard - 11/27/12 - 11:18am

new Bile-float seat thing by Cameltoe!

the bin - 11/27/12 - 11:36am

looks promising to me…..might be a hit with the gravel road riders as well. i’d be willing to give it a try.

Trollsta - 11/27/12 - 12:13pm

Mountain bikers have been buying this unique feature for years….only they call it a dropper post. Only roadies would flock to what others consider a design flaw

Slow Joe Crow - 11/27/12 - 12:28pm

The elastomer to kill road buzz looks good but float seems less good. The one time I rode a bike with a suspension stem was disconcerting and the when I push against the saddle nose with my leg I want the bike to move, not the saddle.

bin judgin' - 11/27/12 - 12:48pm

YAW!!

WannaBeSTi - 11/27/12 - 12:58pm

I like the idea of limiting vibrations for the obvious reason and slight yaw movement wouldn’t be bad if one has a tendency to twist the hips while pedaling (not rocking the hips). However, I don’t like the ideas of allowing for pitching and rolling. To me, if someone has a need for either they probably have a saddle/ fit issues.

I know they’ll be offering harder and softer elastomers, but how many different hardnesses? Elastomers made to do two of the four features would be interesting.

Steve M - 11/27/12 - 3:49pm

Lots of potential.

dale - 11/27/12 - 4:32pm

Pinch and roll?

mongo - 11/27/12 - 9:18pm

Maybe it’s just me and EpicThroatBeard, but does anyone else read Cameltoe when they see that name?

stratosrally - 11/27/12 - 11:39pm

See my earlier comment… I was trying to be more subtle about it!

BBB - 11/28/12 - 4:47am

A pretty simple and effective suspension system has been already invented over 100 years ago by Dunlop and comes free with every bike. Set up CORRECTLY it deals very effectively with the road buzz ;-)

Duhfender - 11/28/12 - 9:05am

I say put it into production and let people but millions of them! Our economy needs a shot in the arm and THIS COULD BE IT.