Found: New Profile Elite Race Cranks

The brand new Profile Elite Cranks, which have been a long time in the making, finally hit shelves last month. The cranks are made in St. Petersburg, Florida, USA ¬†from 4340 heat-treated chromoly and utilize a unique “Wedge Lock” system to mount the cranks arms.

The design uses an “internal pinch bolt” tightened to 15-18 ft lbx max with a 10mm allen bolt. An anodized aluminum end bolt is then threaded into the axle to things snug and looking sharp.The four bolt 6061 aluminum spider sits on a steel splined drive insert.

Hope past the break to see a pricing, weight, and more photos. Including the fancy “keepsake metal box with original lithograph artwork by Adi Gilbert of Profile’s owner Jim Alley welding Elite crankarms.”

The cranks arms are available in 175mm and 180mm lengths and the spider/BB/ and threaded cap can be purchased in black, blue gold, red. and silver. Claimed weight is 39.3 oz (w/ BB) and retail is a painful $489.95 USD.

Comments

Velonomaniac - 11/21/12 - 5:00am

Looks kind of “neat”, but is that all there is to this crank? >1,100g!

Avi - 11/21/12 - 7:34am

Come on guys…proofread before posting!

Shane - 11/21/12 - 8:26am

Seriously weighing in OZ? Who the hell does that anymore.
1114.1g holy crap, but then again it doesn’t say what their intended purpose is.

Collin - 11/21/12 - 8:36am

@Shane, I was thinking the same thing, but for a BMX crank, I would say that weight isn’t too much of an issue. As long as its super stiff, then who cares. If it was for BMX racing (which I assume due to the larger then a free style setup front ring) I would assume that BMXs have a hard time staying under the UCI weight minimum.

Juan - 11/21/12 - 9:04am

If you’re griping about the weight, you’re not the intended audience. As a guy who’s ridden Profiles for more years than most, this is good stuff. Never had issues with the arms or spindles snapping, and they’ve taken care of my only gripe, the arm to spindle interface, by smoothing it over and making it ankle friendlier. These are definitely a good looking BMX race crank, so my only q is can it be used for freestyle 20′s or my dj MTB (running a 26t), or are ya stuck with a 104 spider and a 32t chainring?

Grumpy Old Wrench - 11/21/12 - 9:05am

The BMX bikes for the big kids and pros are in no danger of going under the UCI weight limit- 19 lbs. is the lightest one in a pro/pro xl size I can remember working on. Now for the little guys, 10 lbs or less is not unheard of.

Ydnar - 11/21/12 - 9:27am

Want!

Chris - 11/21/12 - 9:53am

Profile likes to keep it American with oz. Their hubs, while very nice, have a 5/16 allen bolt. So close to 8mm but not quite. Sucks when you have a flat and forget your allen key because your buds are sure to not have one.

jimxwill - 11/21/12 - 10:06am

This is the weight for the cranks, bb, and spider. This is light compared to most BMX cranks. The price is on par with the Shimano DXR BMX cranks that the pros love. These are built from chromoly, with a chromoly axle, and come with a lifetime warranty. Don’t forget, they are made in the USA! I will take the extra 5 ounces to have the removable spider, too.

satisFACTORYrider - 11/21/12 - 11:16am

would be cool if compatible to use on my 26 djer or even a 1X 4X /slope bike.

Ilikebmx999 - 11/21/12 - 11:19am

Profile cranks suck unless you’re a pure racer. I’ve bent countless arms and twisted just as many spindles. There are cheaper, lighter and stronger cranks out there.

tae - 11/21/12 - 11:32am

@juan

Looks like it has a standard 48 spline spindle so you may be able to use 48 spline BMX sprockets.

tae - 11/21/12 - 11:46am

Never mind – Profile’s website says 22mm spindle.

dale - 11/21/12 - 12:44pm

Man I remember being a kid in early 80s with a one piece crank and going racing every weekend with my older neighbors who all had flight cranks and profiles. The old flights were like the ultimate upgrade for a race bike. My two neighbors were so fast they had full sponsorship from GHP and had a new frame almost every week. Profile, Robinson, GHP, Redline… man that stuff was all like gold. It’s weird to see these cranks get dissed so hard, but I do understand.

Spencer - 11/21/12 - 10:09pm

Not a bad weight for bikes of burly use, but those bikes don’t use 175mm or 180mm. So I’m lost.

bin judgin' - 11/22/12 - 3:21pm

165 for DH and 170 for DJ please!

Mindless - 11/23/12 - 1:57am

39.3 oz WTF is that? Grams please.

Mindless - 11/23/12 - 2:02am

I liked my Flybikes cranks better to Profiles on my BMX, but I have no frigging idea why one would not just buy bulletproof Shimano for less money and weight for anything else.

Stupid British bolts and mesures should disappear.