SF Bike Expo Randoms

The SF Bike Expo took place over the weekend and we jumped at the opportunity to check out everything the foggy city had to offer. Having attended the last few events as a spectator it’s been amazing to see the event grow into a celebration of all things bikes. From custom builders, to scrapers, freestyle fixies, classic BMX rigs, and a collection of the best dirt jumpers in the world – there was something for everyone.

Head past the break to check out the randoms we spotted. Christmas is coming and some of these items would make great stocking stuffers.

Bicycle Clocks

Bicycle art is fun but it doesn’t always have to be pricey. Liz Dickey had a wide array of affordable time pieces and jewelry on display.

She creates her art pieces using both bicycle and motorcycle components.

I might have to turn my worn out XTR cassette into a Christmas tree ornament…

Via 1.by.Liz

Green Guro

As a former shop employee, one of our biggest headaches was what to do with all our old inner tubes since they’re not recyclable. In the past the shop has donated the inner tubes to the local harbor for dock bumpers or a pair of college kids making “vegan” S&M whips.

The folks at Green Guro prefer to upcycle old inner tubes into reasonably priced accessories. The bags themselves are incredibly durable and stretchy enough to accommodate anything you can reasonably jam in.

Some bags still bear patches from their former careers.

Via Green Guro

Zixtro

Zixtro has a full line up of scrumptious non-edible seat bags.

They also had a full line up of “normal” bags. This see through display unit was housing the owners spare taillight. Every time it flashed the whole back end of the bike lit up.  We’d love to see them actually incorporate a taillight into a see through unit like this.

Via Zixtro

Recyclist Chain Lube

Re:cyclist was showing off their non-toxic “everyday” and “race day” chain lube. Their products are derived from plant and algae oils grown in the United States. We picked up a bottle of each and will report back.

Via Skip to Renew

Nutcase

The Nutcase helmet displays drew bystanders in with all their pretty colors but that’s about all I was able to learn. The rep’s couldn’t answer even the simplest of questions (e.g. sizing) and were extremely rude.

What I gathered is  the company is charging roughly $60 for a catalog helmet, with cheaply glued in pads, because of the bright patterns and nice chinstrap. The Nutcase website doesn’t offer any safety information and a recent article on Consumer Reports gave them a “poor” safety rating after performing a series of impact absorption tests. You can read the full article on BikePortland here.

The one unique thing we noticed about the helmets was their clever latching system. The company utilizes a magnet rather than a typical latch for one handed clipping.

Whiskey Drome Bikes

The Whiskey Drome was still being put together when we did our initial walk through on Friday. We didn’t snap any pictures of the track in action but we did spot these frankenpixie/cruisers lurking in it’s shadow.

Comments

Topmounter - 11/12/12 - 6:27pm

fogy: someone whose style is out of fashion

Saris - 11/12/12 - 6:28pm

Fixed. Thanks for the vocab lesson.

Adam - 11/12/12 - 8:07pm

It was a fun event. Got some good deals and some free crap I didn’t need but wanted. It was good talking to the vendors.

Stoker - 11/12/12 - 8:23pm

Thanks for keeping it real and making some negative comments about vendor(s). I will not consider purchasing a helmet from Nutcase. It should be “were extremely rude”. Just trying to help.

tae - 11/12/12 - 11:22pm

Weird, the Nutcase magnetic buckles look like an exact replica of the ones used on Lazer’s higher end helmets: http://www.lazersport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1214%3Amagic-buckle&catid=3%3Atechnologie&Itemid=99&lang=en

Ripnshread - 11/12/12 - 11:24pm

As to your quote, “The Nutcase website doesn’t offer any safety information”, did you see

or

http://www.nutcasehelmets.com/safety/certifications ??? Don’t know if they just added that or…

Saris - 11/13/12 - 12:49am

Thanks @Stoker. I really struggled to put together those few short sentences. You never want to say anything bad about a company’s products but after doing a little research on the company, I decided to post.

Most companies @RipnShread are proud of the technology they’ve invested in their helmets. Companies like Giro, Kali, etc….all use injection molding techniques to make their helmets safer. Check out Kali’s in depth description of the technology they employ in their helmets: http://www.kaliprotectives.com/bike/fusion-tech/

Or check out the tech section on Giro’s webpage for their Section half lid: http://www.giro.com/us_en/section.html

Nutcase doesn’t offer any of that type of information on their website. Furthermore, Consumer Reports gave the helmet a poor safety rating this year and the Danish Consumer Council gave the helmets a failing grade.

After visiting the website did you get the impression that the company was spending it’s profits on R&D or flashy new designs and marketing?

Saris

Chipollini - 11/13/12 - 1:02am

Lol – nutcase – cool helmets, fail company : ( I attended the SF Bike Expo Saturday, and Sunday and had a great time, all be it tiering having to work it. I love walking around talking to other folks in the bike world, and I had the opportunity to stop by the the Nutcase booth with the weird tree stump hat stand display, fortunately I was not treated rudely, but only because there was no one there (Saturday) – for like an hour or two… I didn’t stand there to count, but I was in the vicinity and was hoping to talk to one of the reps about a warrantee retention system fail on a helmet from my shop… no luck. I wasn’t perturbed, I had a good time – I had a few good conversations with John from Optrix the makers of the iPhone case with a high quality lens, I must say that their product is way cooler than one might gather from looking at it online. Jillian at the Green Guro was very kind, and knowledgeable. Slightly under impressed by the revolights in person, bulky – interesting product though. Found my self very desirous of a set of custom knickers from Nan B. Spoke Taylor. The Whiskey Drome was ridiculously amazing, if it makes it to your town, at least go see it – ride it if you dare. Thank you Ride SFO!

Ripnshread - 11/13/12 - 11:20am

I wasn’t making any comments concerning the product safety, production processes or the business practices of Nutcase helmets. Just the validity of your quote. Maybe you should have said “insufficient” instead of “any”. Just my opinion. I don’t know the company, the reps for the company or seen their product. I did go to their website and noticed that they did have some safety info on their site.

Locke - 11/20/12 - 1:18am

Recyclist, as cool as it may seem, does not do its “intended” purpose of properly lubricating the chain. Though it may make you feel good and it can be your next smug conversation starter because everyone knows about the polar ice caps and no one cares that you are a vegan, it certainly is no better than even the lowly Triflow.