Santa Cruz Introduces Updated Chameleon for 2013

Santa Cruz bikes just released a freshly updated version of their perennial do-it-all ripper the Chameleon. Gone (thank you, thank you, and thank you) is the eccentric bottom bracket and in is a new replaceable dropout system. No word on if you’ll still be able to open adult beverages with the hanger, but at least you won’t be adjusting your droopy chain after every few rides.

The frame has also been updated for this, the year of our lord two thousand and twelve, with a tapered headtube, ISCG 05 mounts, a slightly longer top tube, and a one degree slacker headtube angle.

Jokes aside, the Santa Cruz Chameleon is an amazing bike. In fact, my first serious non-xc mountain bike was one of the last made in America models. On that bike I learned to blast the same wooden transitions, berms, and sandy corners that Steve Peat and Ratboy destroy in the clip. That video made me home sick and now that the bike has been updated with a more modern geometry and specs, I’m suddenly longing for another one….

Pricing, pictures, and geometry after the break

Frame price $751

FORKS   DXC   DAM   RXC   RAM   SPXXC   SPXXC2X10   SPXAM2X10
   Recon Silver TK sa 120   1862   N/A   N/A   N/A   N/A   N/A   N/A
   32 Float CTD oc 120   N/A   2277   2549   2583   3760   3760   3811
   32 Float CTD oc 130   N/A   2277   2549   2099   3760   3760   3811
   32 Float CTD Adjust FIT 120   N/A   2433   2705   2739   3916   3916   3967
   32 Float CTD Adjust FIT 130   N/A   2433   2705   2739   3916   3916   3967

More at Santa Cruz Bikes

Comments

Sancho - 11/02/12 - 5:50pm

2013 :)

MarkB - 11/02/12 - 5:54pm

Okay, that takes care of the hardtail clans — when’s the Bullitt & Butcher coming back?

Saris - 11/02/12 - 6:01pm

They got you covered in other ways unless you’re a strictly single pivot kinda guy..

Not Greg Herbold - 11/02/12 - 6:05pm

Did you adjust the eccentric right and still got a droopy chain?

Seraph - 11/02/12 - 7:08pm

Word is that there will be an aluminum version of the TRc to replace the Nickel becoming available later in 2013. As for the Butcher, the Blur LT is the spiritual successor.

fuzzbuzz - 11/02/12 - 7:33pm

I must say Saris, I prefer your writing style over regurgitated press releases ripe with marketing fluff. Good show…….brief, to-the-point and light-hearted. Good show to SCB, too. These guys just keep cranking out cool, versatile, no nonsense rigs.

Topmounter - 11/03/12 - 12:29am

No Carbomeleon?

Regardless, nice to see them keeping the Chameleon going w/ some sweet U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D action.

That Guy - 11/03/12 - 12:38am

They released that bike at Ineterbike. It’s not new.

Matt Holland - 11/03/12 - 4:43am

What was wrong with the EBB? Had my chameleon since 2008 and its still rock solid. My only criticism is the beefy seat stays means it has such a stiff end vertically you can feel every little jolt through the saddle.

Jon - 11/03/12 - 11:53am

I too have an American made model, it aged like fine wine.

Is is a tapered or 1.5 head tube? What size is pictured.

professore - 11/03/12 - 2:52pm

Long live the hardtail. After all the full suspension bikes I’ve owned, my hardtail still puts the biggest smile on my face. I guess I’m just holding on to those BMX glory days.

Should be a great candidate for 650b with those replaceable drops. I do miss the anodized colors though.

Micah - 11/05/12 - 12:34pm

So what about APP suspension? What type of a blip was that?? (I’m a bit off topic, sorry.) Were the Nickle and Butcher a flop?