B1 Chain Holder Makes Bicycle Cleaning, Traveling Smooth as Butter

B! chain catcher holds bicycle chains in place for cleaning and travelingHandmade in Boulder, CO, Butter’s B1 chain holder classes up the dirty act of chain maintenance.

Made of machined billet alloy, the chain slides across a lathed Delrin spool. The whole thing is held in place with a strong spring and steel axle.

Butter says they’re also great for travel, keeping the chain in place inside a bike case (assuming you don’t remove the rear derailleur, anyway).

They retail for $40 each, including shipping. Add $5 for international orders. More pics below…

B! chain catcher holds bicycle chains in place for cleaning and traveling

Comments

Gillis - 10/19/12 - 11:27am

save yourself $40+ and use an old seatpost QR and derailleur pulley.

Minh Nguyen - 10/19/12 - 11:36am

Pedro has been selling something similar for years now… and for much cheaper

Meta - 10/19/12 - 11:39am

Get the Morgan Blue version for 1/4 the price http://www.wiggle.com/morgan-blue-chain-keeper/

Whateve - 10/19/12 - 11:50am

Actually you can’t use an old skewer, unless you rework it with a 130 or 135 spacer. Try it if you think it will work well without one.

That said, I do have issue with this as anything more than a work stand aid. I would never travel with a bike without protecting a sans wheel rear triangle. So it’s useless for that since it only grabs the drive side dropout.

Phil - 10/19/12 - 11:56am

for $40 you can buy this… http://www.wiggle.co.uk/morgan-blue-complete-maintenance-kit-with-bucket/ which is the best cleaning product ever and it comes with essentially the same thing.

Ryan - 10/19/12 - 12:07pm

I use pedros chain keeper, it’s my favorite tool in my toolbox. Best $12 I’ve ever spent.

SteezyD - 10/19/12 - 12:10pm

I was about to mention the Pedro’s one as well.. Not as fancy looking, but way cheaper and does the job just as well.

College_kid - 10/19/12 - 12:26pm

Or…grab a trashed rear hub and qr.

Steve - 10/19/12 - 12:29pm

“Lathed” is not a word. Something that was made on a lathe was “turned”.

TJ - 10/19/12 - 12:31pm

I normally use the Pedros chain keeper but honestly under shop use I have gone through 3 so far this season. I ordered one up about 2 weeks ago, havent used it yet but it looks like it will holdup a lot better.

RUSTYDOGG - 10/19/12 - 5:08pm

Its purdy. If you travel with bike boxed a bit you know their handling usually sucks. I am pretty sure a guy with no arms repacks them after inspection. This will be one less thing to get broken. Yay.

Hank - 10/19/12 - 5:17pm

I have a Bi and love it. Yes the Pedro’s one is cheaper, but nowhere near the product that the B1 is and it is made in the USA by cyclists.

Gene - 10/19/12 - 9:24pm

Or you can buy the Bike Medicine Chainholder $19.50 at half the price.

dimples - 10/19/12 - 11:30pm

Or one could purchase this product if they like it more than the Pedro’s because they think it’s cool. New bike stuf! Who’s for it?!

Devian - 10/20/12 - 8:25am