Waltworks Offering 36′er Lightweight Mountain Bike Tire

Waltworks 36er lightweight mountain bike tire

So far, 36″ wheeled bikes have been largely a tradeshow gimmick or unicycle option. But for the select few that take them to the trail, Waltworks has a higher performance tire headed this way.

Made for them by Vee Rubber, the 36×2.25 tire has a tread pattern that’s “Kenda Nevegal and Schwalbe Racing Ralph” with tapered, ramped center knobs and tie-bars connecting the triangular side knobs for smooth cornering transitions. In other words, it’s a well thought out tire, and it comes in almost a full pound lighter than anything they’d used before.

It’s a wire bead, but can be set up tubeless at pressures as low as 18psi (65psi max). Claimed weight is 1540g (+/-40g) and they’ll retail for $125. Available for pre-order now, they should ship in November.

Thank to Matt for the tip!

Comments

mikelikebike - 10/16/12 - 9:17am

sweet….expensive rubber that handles horribly…im sold….

bbb - 10/16/12 - 10:04am

cool. Id love to try one of these

Jason - 10/16/12 - 11:20am

whatevs, not until they make one in a fat bike version will I even think about it

Topmounter - 10/16/12 - 11:41am

I’d definitely like to add a 36′er to my stable.

MZUNGU - 10/16/12 - 1:14pm

Why bother, I am going to wait for my 46′er. They said it’ll roll over them rocks even better.

Speedy - 10/16/12 - 2:19pm

Next up – Fat Bike 36″ tires.

Dan - 10/16/12 - 5:13pm

LOL braking power GONE! seriously that inerta that these tire/wheels are going to have is going to me mind blowing! poor poor disc rotors……

satisFACTORYrider - 10/16/12 - 5:17pm

do 36ers come with lil red noses like 29ers first did?

Josh - 10/16/12 - 6:45pm

some people ride bikes because its fun… these are fun bike why all the hate?

MB - 10/16/12 - 7:11pm

@Josh – BINGO!! Puts a smile on my face every time I ride my 36er.

@Dan – I’m 235lbs, and ride mine with 185 rotors front and back with BB7s and surprisingly they stop great. Someone did a dual rotor set of hubs for his and it was WAY overkill.

Ben W - 10/16/12 - 11:37pm

Yeah, haters always going to hate. Why are people so against trying something different? These things have been around awhile too. @MB, I saw a guy at the 24 Hours of Old Pueblo in February with the dual front rotor setup. It seemed like overkill.

Mindless - 10/18/12 - 11:52am

Dan, learn physics a bit. Most work is done to stop your fat ass, not the wheel inertia. Now the leverage is some 20% higher, so you would better use a size up rotor. Some 203mm with an aluminum carrier will work just fine in the front.

steve - 01/06/13 - 10:25am

I rode a Coker 36er years ago – one of the crappiest bikes I’ve ridden, but I’ve rarely ridden anything that was so much fun. I’d love to see better tires and a bit of modest 36er production. Braking, even on the Coker, wasn’t terribly bad. As people point out the mass in the wheelset is only a small fraction of the total moving mass. Inertia mass of the wheelset is an issue for acceleration and that is true in steering. Lighter wheelsets would make these handle much better.