New Wipperman Connex Black Edition Chain Promises Long Life, Killer Looks

2013 Wipperman Connex Black Edition hard anodized bike chain

Now, finally, that matte black stealth rig of yours doesn’t have to have some ugly silver chain messing up the ninja aesthetic.

Wipperman’s Connex Black Edition chain gets a special Ultra Black coating that gives it “extreme” corrosion and wear resistance. It’s essentially a hard anodization treatment. That, combined with special XHB-hardened pins, gives the chain long term wear and smooth shifting.

It comes with their Connex link tool-free connection plates, but you’ll still need a chain tool to size it for your bike. The 10-speed chain comes in at 275g with all 110 links, and the 9-speed tips in at 289g. Available now.

Comments

Justin! - 10/15/12 - 5:33pm

Any word on price? I’m glad it won’t break on my bike, but will it break the bank?

Mindless - 10/15/12 - 7:40pm

Does it shift as good as Shimano 10sp? Cause Shimano shifts awesome.

Gexal - 10/15/12 - 7:51pm

Does it work? Last year their chains worked awesome. This year, they shift like poop. I’d like to see them fix their consistency issue, cause a chain that can go 3500 miles before needing to be replaced is a good thing.

MB - 10/15/12 - 8:38pm

They are my favs, but only use them in SS mode, so no shifting problems.

Johnny Hall - 10/16/12 - 4:09am

Are Shimano 11sp chains the same width as 10sp? I think they are, right?

WannaBeSTi - 10/16/12 - 7:37am

Johnny, 10spd and 11spd Shimano chains are different widths. 10spd Shimano road chains were asymmetrical while the new 11spd are symmetrical because people couldn’t figure out how to install asymmetrical chains.

Seraph - 10/16/12 - 4:45pm

What do you mean “finally”? KMC has had a black 10-speed DLC chain available for some time now.

sean - 10/17/12 - 10:13am

My first though after seeing the chain was looks like a walmart bike chain. Maybe I see too many walmart bikes at our shop but it look similar to the chain they run on the early 2000s roadmasters.