Found: Giant Anyroad – The Best Bike They Make That You Can’t Buy in America

prototype Giant Anyroad dirt road bike with disc brakes being tested in Asian markets

While touring Taiwan’s various bicycle industry partners, we spotted the Giant Anyroad, a gorgeous dirt road bike that’s being tested in Asian markets.

At first glance, it looks carbon fiber but is actually a wickedly smooth hydroformed alloy frame with only a few visible welds. The bike is a 2013 model and might (hopefully!) make it into broader worldwide distribution if there’s demand. Check the pics and details after the break, then leave a comment if you want it…they’re listening!

The hydroformed seat tube and mast flows upward from the top tube with absolutely no visible welds. The top and downtube are curved and shaped, boxing off much like their performance road and mountain bikes, suggesting it’s plenty stiff where it needs to be for solid handling but likely offers a bit of comfort on rough roads.

Note the hidden seatpost bolt and lack of collar…very clean!

Lots of rear tire clearance between both sets of stays.

Frame is Giant’s ALUXX and has a carbon fiber fork. Claimed weight for this model is 10.2kg (22.48lbs) built up with Tiagra drivetrain, Tektro mechanical brake calipers, alloy Giant stem and handlebar, carbon seatpost and Velo saddle. No doubt this thing could get built up a good bit lighter.

Plenty of clearance at the fork crown, too. If we had to guess, this also foreshadows a disc brake cyclocross bike. Giant’s reps have told us before they’re not getting asked for it, but it’ll have to come eventually.

Want one? Leave a comment!

Comments

Eugene - 10/11/12 - 9:18pm

Yes i want!

David - 10/11/12 - 9:20pm

Why Lyras instead of Avid anything… those Lyras are a pain to keep in tune, the discs themselves cause a lot of shudder. I rode these on a Focus and didn’t have much love for them!

Otherwise, please bring more stuff like this to market!

Resty Refuerzo - 10/11/12 - 9:24pm

Make the frame workable with road or mountain cranksets so future owners can have that choice. The seat tube should be able to accomodate whatever front derailleur the owner wants to install.

jtg - 10/11/12 - 9:26pm

A bike like this would be ideal for the crushed limestone paths and light trails that are so common in the midwest. Consider me interested.

Steven - 10/11/12 - 9:28pm

Meh.

Ck - 10/11/12 - 9:31pm

I love the look. I wish it could translate to a disc cx model for here in the states, but I don’t think such a sloping top tube would work for cross. And I don’t see Giant willing to bring this over and eventually a disc TCX in the same lineup.

Avi - 10/11/12 - 9:41pm

DO WANT

Discodave - 10/11/12 - 9:44pm

Come on Giant this should be a no brainier. This seems like a segment of
the market that is heating up right now with gravel grinder races poping up all over.
Bring it to the US!

Mark W. - 10/11/12 - 10:02pm

@Resty
The frame is workable with it as far as the BB goes, it is a 68mm wide shell and all you need to do is use the spacers that come with a threaded mtb bottom bracket. The only problem with using a crank like that would be that the chain line may move so the shifting is not as good as it could be.
No real need to run a mountain bike crank set when you could just use a cyclo-cross crank, you cant fit 29er tires in that small of a frame.

In my opinion it looks a lot like a Volagi from that top picture. Any word on what size that frame shown is ?

fayar - 10/11/12 - 10:25pm

Can the Chinese make me a carbon fiber copy of this?

Rob - 10/11/12 - 10:26pm

Would totally be interested in this.

Willis24 - 10/11/12 - 10:32pm

GRAVEL, bring it!

Alan Stevens - 10/11/12 - 10:38pm

Ugh, I’ve been waiting for the TCX Disc for sooo long, and this thing looks soo awesome. Bring it to us Giant!!!

Superstantial - 10/11/12 - 10:49pm

Yes, want.

JimmyZ - 10/11/12 - 11:05pm

maybe I’m a mutant, but I want to see lower standover, and no toe overlap to the front wheel. If they want to make a bike that isn’t cx specific, accommodating an 80mm fork would be helpful as well. I like to ride a drop bar bike once in a while, so I am looking for the perfect compromise.

Pete - 10/11/12 - 11:13pm

You can go ahead and submit my order for this with a Shimano 105 drivetrain and Avid BB7 mechanical discs and I’m there. My TCR Advanced could use some company.

JoeM - 10/11/12 - 11:16pm

@ fayar, Where do you think this one is made?

Gillis - 10/11/12 - 11:31pm

not really cx’able with that top tube – just try and shoulder that thing! But otherwise looks like a solid contender as an all-road bike.

Capitalist - 10/11/12 - 11:55pm

I guess Specialized couldn’t sue Volagi out of business…

so they’ll just try the old fashoned way by stealing their concept & selling a COPY.

I guess what they say about Sinyard ..is true or maybe it has been “in development” for 5 years..yeah

Just Saying... - 10/11/12 - 11:58pm

Too bad they didn’t bring that bike to the USA. Specialized has been doing well selling their redesigned Tricross model with and without discs for 2 years running (now entering it’s third model year). “Anyroad” sure sounds similar to the “Freeroad” moniker Specialized gave it’s Tricross quite a number of years ago. I would even say Trek was a little too far ahead of it’s time with the Portland (or whatever it’s name was).

US-based Giant dealers would do well with this addition in shops. Makes for a great commuter/ride almost anywhere bike.

Guy - 10/11/12 - 11:59pm

I’m a bit confused by this market segment in my “region”. My region is the mountain states of Merica where the single track is abundant and diverse ; the road riding is also quite good in most areas with big mountain passes and beautiful scenery. Therefore I’m confused why you’d spend your Saturdays banging around on gravel roads in the mountain west! Sure, if i still lived in Ohio maube I’d do this but this gravel buz really lends itself to areas that have crappy MTB or road riding. I guess it’s really just a lame branch of the 29er crowd that would rather see how long they can suffer on an epic gravel road than go ride perfect single track. I understand the “adventure” aspects but I know 3 people that have ever done an overnighter off there Gravel Bike. BTW, this is what the 650b bikes were developed for a long long time ago.. I’m glad I will never need to own a lame gravel road bike.

Sevo - 10/12/12 - 12:23am

Proof that Monstercross is not dead. That’s what this is. Sweet.

BTW “Guy” the gravel in Iowa would kill you and sure the stuff in mountain west would too. I know. I’ve lived in both. Don’t knock it ’til you try it. If you are a real cyclist, a bike is a bike is a bike…doesn’t matter what it is. Just go pedal dammit. To knock a culture of cycling is a newbie thing to do.

Spencer - 10/12/12 - 12:41am

To each his own. If you are in the mtns, you will ride mtns and not half-ass roads. If all you have are half-ass roads, then yeah- a bike is a bike is a bike. A horse is a horse, of course of course.

Ajax - 10/12/12 - 12:45am

Bring it to the USA!

Put thru-axles on this frame please!

Ajax - 10/12/12 - 12:47am

Oh yeah. While I do support this bike, please DO NOT call it the “Anyroad”. That is just stupid and Americans will never buy a bike called the Anyroad.

Ozbikebuddy - 10/12/12 - 1:04am

All I can is…

HELL YES!

Where can i get one, For where I live in Australia this would be a wonderful, commuter, trainer, gravel grinder, crossbike.

I want!

Ozbikebuddy - 10/12/12 - 1:08am

And i agree not “Anyroad”, how about “Graveller” if we are going to use something corney.

But all humour aside how about: Explorer, Alltrack, Land Cruiser (hehe)

Ozbikebuddy - 10/12/12 - 1:09am

ALL-Surface,

Any-Surface

Ozbikebuddy - 10/12/12 - 1:14am

Enought being Funny.

i do actually think this is a brilliant idea a great all purpose bike. the general versatility this displays anf the overall layout, really makes me thing this would be really popular and would attract people who want something that would work like a Defy but give more options, a true competitor for Specialized Allroad models like the Tricross series and being giant, so much better on the bottom line/hip pocket

professore - 10/12/12 - 2:06am

It looks like we have a new category of bike. I would call this a drop bar hybrid.

gringo - 10/12/12 - 2:43am

@ Joe M: Taiwan.

Mark W. - 10/12/12 - 3:44am

@Ajax
Americans bought bikes from the same company named ‘Boulder’ and ‘Iguana,’ just sayin’.

BBB - 10/12/12 - 5:11am

Nice bike but one could simply build a road bike based on a (one or two sizes smaller) lightweight mtb (29er?) frame with a rigid fork for ultimate versatility.
Fast, XC 2.00 tyres (optionally trimmed) are certainly a better option for gravel than a UCI “imposed/influenced” 35mm variety especially that there isn’t much choice of anything fast in a 35mm-2.00″ range.

I’ve been riding a 26″ (optionally 700c) MTB/road bike like that for a while on gravel tracks and on the road and it’s perfect. GP4000, Kojaks, Furious Freds, Racing Ralphs… depending on a day and mood.

MTB, road, CX, dirt whatever… categories mean nothing and are influenced more by marketing, pro scene and UCI regulations than by intended use.
Many mountain bikes don’t need straight bars, suspension and overbuilt components and many CX bikes don’t need to have tyre clearance restricted to 35-ish mm but rather than making existing bikes more sensible and versatile it’s better for the manufacturers to come up with a new bike type;-)

theendinfrench - 10/12/12 - 5:22am

The first Giant in a while to whet my appetite… Never mind the US, we need this in the UK

tomek - 10/12/12 - 7:10am

Where to buy this.?

Frederick - 10/12/12 - 7:14am

This thing would fit some massive fenders and tires. Great year round commuter for the Northeast. Please bring it to the states.

Chad - 10/12/12 - 7:40am

Bring it on.
We will see(and yes, we want) a lot of this category in the years to come.

MaLóL - 10/12/12 - 7:51am

nice 29er mtb frame with road bar

Art Vandelay - 10/12/12 - 8:07am

As an importer/exporter i would love to see these in the USA.

td - 10/12/12 - 9:26am

this one’s cooler

Cycling Five-0 - 10/12/12 - 9:48am

Love it. I want one for a Police Patrol Bike. I’m willing to test one out catching bad guys. Hope it makes it to USA soon.

Mark - 10/12/12 - 10:05am

with panache.

though if the gravel is only an occasional thing or mostly to link sections of tarmac then going tubeless with 25s (or 28s now available) with low pressure is a very capable solution and doesn’t require a whole new bike.

Mat - 10/12/12 - 10:27am

Giant,

I would like to buy one.
Please, bring it to Europe!!!

matt - 10/12/12 - 10:49am

Get them here now!

Alex - 10/12/12 - 11:00am

I like the execution of the frame, but the concept is not new and it’s a pretty narrow niche to sell into. People having been riding their CX bikes in the middle of the summer on dirt roads for years. “In my region”, Southern Ontario, paved roads don’t have steep climbs unfortunately and long climbs don’t exist, period. But what the region does have is twisty dirt roads that go up and down the Niagara Escarpment (a several hundred mile-long rim, a world biosphere reserve) that Toronto sits in. Within an hour of Toronto (8MM people in the Greater Toronto Area, I think), you’ve got all these roads with no cars, wonderful scenery and challenging riding. Admittedly, if there were miles of alpine singletrack to explore, this might not be particularly interesting, but that’s how it is… this looks like a great bike for mixing it up on pavement and dirt roads. But, Giant would do just as well to bring a disc-TCX and sell it to ‘cross racers and dirt-road riders alike.

Scottyroyal - 10/12/12 - 11:58am

Its just a cross bike, why all the fuss?
Plenty of other brands offering Disc CX bikes,

ascar larkinyar - 10/12/12 - 1:34pm

i have a dropbar 29er that i can put road or cx tires on and has a compact double chainring on.

vectorbug - 10/12/12 - 1:47pm

Not really a cross racing bike, but yes its technically cycling a”cross” different terrains. The frame wouldn’t be very good for shouldering. Which is why you see CX frames with larger main triangles and level top tubes more often (or closer to level than say, an Allez or Tarmac).

Mike - 10/12/12 - 2:28pm

If this bike had been available when I last purchased my alloy Defy, I definitely would have gone for it instead. The streamlined seat tube and seatpost junction looks clean, but I would still prefer using a traditional clamp. A disc TCX would make sense too, but I’d personnaly prefer having a slopping top tube. One thing for sure: I’d want more tire clearance than what you normally get on a CX bike.

jose - 10/12/12 - 6:27pm

simple: SWEET! I want to test on a fireroad ! looks great ! no fancy shit but just great!
Hope to ride one of this on a gravel road for hours!

dee - 10/13/12 - 8:31pm

Just bring the bike over ASAP…i’ll buy two !!!!

guy - 10/14/12 - 2:49am

Kudos to Giant for giving this a shot overseas for now. They make solid bikes, but also tend to be a little cut and dry with their general lineup. It’s a nice departure from what I typically see. I do also like some of the tweaks on the graphics. This is something that have been working on (and needed to) the last few years and this has some nice touches. One nitpick might be the drilling for fenders/rack at the dropouts but nowhere on the seatstays. Clean touch on the hidden post binder bolt, but a collar with rack mounts would help a little on the utilitarian side to match the dropout prep. Seems like it’s a bike pulled in a lot of directions but looks fairly ready to take on some fun riding. Bring it.

L Train - 10/14/12 - 11:48am

this bike looks like a higher tech Salsa Fargo. That’s great, it’s about time a big name got into that niche. But before they do this I think they should just do a disc TCX cross bike.

Taiwaner - 10/14/12 - 1:58pm

I live in Taiwan and have seen these around. They are so popular that they have sold out of the less expensive model. The less expensive model comes with a new Sora Triple setup, and the frame is white.

It feels really nice. The handlebar’s drops are a bit flared out. Very comfortable setup. However …

Big, big design flaw though. For those of you who think this might be a good tourer or commuter, think again. There is no place to put a rear rack on it. You theoretically could put a seatpost rack on it, but not on the Tiagra model, as it sports a carbon seatpost. If they keep this model, id wait until the fix that glaring oversight.

Also, the wheelbase and chainstay are a bit on the short side.

Jason - 10/15/12 - 8:29pm

This bike is gorgeous. It seriously needs eyelets for pannier racks, eh?! Anyroad with gear requires them.

The Donk Don't Lie - 10/18/12 - 6:09pm

Being a Giant bike owner I already called my LBS and told them to get on it. I want one.

Paul - 10/18/12 - 10:28pm

Yes please!!!

Would love a 105 version of this with wide slicks and mudguard mounts, to use as a commuter. Please send some to Australia!.

Mark Ernst - 10/19/12 - 12:11pm

As a Midwest dealer with thousands of mile of gravel trails about this could be huge. Add BB7′s, 20 degree stem and saddle off the Inspire and NO Giant BLUE. Nice bike. Now a carbon version with Single ring front crank, S900/Rival shifters and an 11-32 back-end. Call it the Perfect 10!

PedagogBob - 10/19/12 - 2:58pm

As a Giant dealer- Yes, we can and will sell them.
As an avid cyclist who loves to ride his road bike off road or on extremely crappy roads- Yes, I will buy one for myself.
FWIW- A carbon version and BB7′s would be nice.

A.Fernando Oliveira - 10/19/12 - 3:14pm

Yes I want!!! where I buy ?

Hex - 10/23/12 - 7:07am

Agree about name How about ‘ROADRUNNER’ that’s the first impression I got.

anders - 11/19/12 - 6:11am

Saw it in Beijing a month ago.
It’s extremly nice you can’t resist it when you enter the shop.
It would be a perfect commuter and a mtb ligth for CX or cyclocross.
I really looks like a composite bike.

Marco - 11/25/12 - 8:08am

I wanna have one in europe!!!

Mike - 11/25/12 - 10:12pm

I am in Taipei and looking to get my first “real” bike. Does this compare to the Merida Speeder or Specializes Sirrus?

Tyler (Editor) - 11/27/12 - 7:22am

Mike – Looks wise, the Giant here seems more performance oriented, but we haven’t had a chance to ride it. I used to have a Sirrus and it’s a pretty good bike for whipping around town.

Edward - 11/27/12 - 8:23am

I’ve got an Anyroad 1 from Taiwan similar to the picture above. It has good handling and comfort. The dual brake lever allows you to brake in any position. Great bike:)

Philip Richardson - 12/09/12 - 3:24am

It’s true. The Giant Anyroad is an amazing bike.
Fit’s my needs perfectly. I was in Taiwan last week and purchased it on the spot. I live in mainland China and on dry days I commute to work by bicycle otherwise I drive my truck. The bike is responsive and designed for “anyroad”. I love it.

Ciao for now,

Philip

Jazz - 02/01/13 - 11:27pm

I am a bike mechanic in australia. I just worked on one of these. Why can’t we get them here?? Its awesome! Great hybrid racer. Could be better with rack mounts tho. Hit up the commuter-recreational tourer market. I reckon they would sell well. Maybe not by the millions here but definatley a market for them.

Philip Richardson - 02/07/13 - 5:56pm

Now that I’ve had the bike a couple of months and put on about 350km it;s really a dream bike. I ride a Lynskey custom road with Campy Record as my main ride during our group training sessions but when I brought out the ANYROAD to ride in the group I noticed the climbing aspect of this bike is superior than the Lynskey because of the mulitple cycling positions and overall responsiveness of bike. Although the Lynskey is a wonderful ride, this Anyroad is my go-to bike. I’m training on it in preparation for the big Tour De Muju in Korea in June 2013. 130 kilometers with 4000 meters of climbing calls for a bike with comfort, ease of shifting, and a host of bailout gears.

Ciao for now,

Philip

ricky p victoria - 02/12/13 - 2:07am

send it to manila, i wanna get one right away!

A gaultier - 05/09/13 - 2:55pm

Bring it to the U.S.

Tyler Benedict - 05/09/13 - 3:30pm

A Gaultier – check back next week…good news will be posted!

stucke - 05/11/13 - 6:38pm

Well very nice shaped frame (fluid and curvy – its a statement). What i would like is: real gearing diversity(50/34 front or 46/36/30and 11/32 rear), hydraulic discs – or pivot brakes and flat bar. Road oriented, or with of road tendencies but accent on one of it. Fast hard core extremly durable commuting, fun bike that looks better than bikes which are design to look nice. Could it be used for a longer tour???
At first glance i just love it. Bring few to Croatia.

Will - 05/15/13 - 6:41pm

Looks amazing, id definately be interested in one of these for commuting and more casual riding for days off, without having to stick to the beaten track!

John Teasdale - 05/21/13 - 2:56am

Hi,
For me it is a need and not a want (Ha Ha) – lovely and very practical. Would sell just about any of my existing bikes to have one.
Do the Giant “boys” not want to let me use one here in South Africa to test the waters. I am willing.
John

Mike H - 06/07/13 - 10:14pm

I’m going to buy a cyclocross bike or one of these,and I want a ANYROADS ! I’ll contact my LBS to him on it ! I”m looking for a gravel specific bike and this might be it. What is the biggest tire it will take ?

Steve Achey - 06/16/13 - 6:19pm

This is the trend. These bikes can and will go anywhere. I would buy this over a cross bike for sure. Do not think Giant, DO IT!!!!

Peter - 10/22/13 - 8:50am

Just bought one, really nice and smoothly !

now i need to learn to ride without sidewheels :P

Dfrezne - 01/01/14 - 3:36am

I was pretty excited about this bike when I first heard about it.I almost ordered one but the lack or proper rack eyelets was the deal breaker.I need to be able to transfer my racks without a hassle.What the hell was Giant thinking?

Mike - 03/12/14 - 4:01pm

I just checked this bike out at my local dealer here in Michigan. All I can say is wow. Perfect for my recreational needs and a real stunner to look at. Plan on purchasing within 30 days. You would swear the frame is carbon unless you looked closely.

Christopher - 03/29/14 - 10:32am

Dfrezne is correct. How can you make a bike like this without rack mounts?!