Jeff Jones Bicycles Updates H-Bar, Adds Steel Frames To Lineup

Jones-HBar-Aluminium-Loop

Jeff Jones Bicycles is now making their unconventional, and much-loved, Titanium and Aluminum H-Bars with a no-shim-required 31.8 clamp diameter. This means some larger (stiffer?) diameter tubes and fewer parts for both the Cut and Loop versions. The width and overall shape look to remain the same, and maintain their existing shifter compatibility.

Click through for weights, pricing, compatibility and new frames – plus videos of Jeff riding his creations.

Jones-HBar-Titanium-Cut

According to the Jones website:

“The cut version works with: Singlespeeds, Shimano dual controls, Thumb-shifters fit on the front extensions and can easily be removed if converting the bike to a single speed. The Loop version works with: Singlespeeds, Trigger shifters, Gripshift, Rohloff and Thumb-shifters.”

Titanium H-Bars come in at 485g for the Loop model and 400g for the Cut version and costs $380. Opting for aluminum will get you to 502g for the Loop and 430g for the Cut model, with both only costing $120.

New 29” frame offerings from Jones will be available this Fall including the SpaceFrame and Diamond (shown above) models. Both will be available with either the Jones Unicrown fork, which will have custom mounts for the Tubus Duo low-rider racks, or the Jones Truss fork. About the finish, Jones says they chose “clear powder coating, over the decals, on top of the tough powder coat paint finish for appropriately rugged good looks.”

Check out this cool short POV video from 2010 of Jeff showing off his shop and out riding one of his rigid bikes:

…and this one from 2012 with his current offerings:

Comments

farmerjohnscousin - 10/08/12 - 11:08am

Damn straight! Oregon rules!

Abe - 10/08/12 - 11:46am

Hasn’t he been offering the steel frames for some time now? Or maybe I was hallucinating when I thought rode a space frame back in 2011 and again this year.

patrik - 10/08/12 - 1:03pm

These bikes are made for attentions seekers who like to spend more time at the trailhead talking about bikes rather than riding them.

“The non-suspened bike” for trail riding.

Why?

I don’t see people ditching their finely suspended German cars for ones that have replaced springs and shocks with bricks. Why do the same with bicycles? Doesn’t make sense other than to have a conversation piece at the trailhead.

Clink - 10/08/12 - 1:07pm

All riding is good. Some people enjoy riding rigid bikes. It is fun, as is riding with bikes with suspension. Different, but both good.

dan - 10/08/12 - 1:07pm

@Patrick, it’sdifferent strokes for for different folks. And you seem to know an awful lot about hanging out at the trail head. Good for you, winner.

Sancho - 10/08/12 - 1:32pm

patrik – that’s a pretty awful analogy. try a bit harder.

Seth - 10/08/12 - 1:50pm

I ride a ‘non-suspened bike’ and it’s a ss. I don’t need fancy shocks to make up for a lack of skill.

NPW - 10/08/12 - 3:05pm

Oh, Patrick, Patrick, Patrick, better you remain unheard behind your full-face helmet.

Mindless - 10/08/12 - 3:48pm

Seth, don’t be a blowhard. There are plenty of people riding suspension who got better skills than you. In fact, if you can not use suspension for better riding, your skills are lacking.

Mindless - 10/08/12 - 3:56pm

But $120 for an Asian made aluminum bar? No, thanks.

Caliente - 10/08/12 - 4:07pm

I like the bike and the concept, but seriously. Listening to the audio killed the video. It just came off as pretentious.

Briefly introduce the concept, put on some rad music, and show the guy ripping.
The bike will sell itself.

RG - 10/08/12 - 5:15pm

it’s an amazing bike – we all love bikes – don’t be a hater.

diehipsterdie - 10/08/12 - 5:32pm

i just dont see the appeal of the jones product line. weird frame that mind you only comes in one size. its a lot like a pugsley, really cool to look at but not practical.

Kitty sprinkles - 10/08/12 - 7:43pm

I met Jeff a couple years ago. He’s kind of a pretentious tool, but his bikes are pretty cool to look at. Not much fun to ride, unfortunately.

Jdog - 10/08/12 - 10:23pm

He said trailhead!

Mathew - 10/08/12 - 10:51pm

If you really want to ride a bike that you can “feel” the trail with ride a cyclocross bike.

Suspend_Me - 10/08/12 - 11:21pm

No suspension ? Oh well, it must be nice to be young. I can assure you that by the time “most” of you reach 50 you won’t be riding a rigid bike over rocks.

That doesn’t mean that I’m putting down Jeff or anything that he stands for as I do think it’s nice that people have a choice to ride this type of bike if they want to.

Icarus - 10/09/12 - 12:44am

All hype, no substance. Vanilla jones etc etc

James - 10/09/12 - 5:28am

From someone who’s spent a lot of time on Jones bikes in the last few years – as well as having my pick of FS, HT etc ‘standard’ MTBs to ride as/when I want, and the opportunity to design, test and spec bikes in my line of work.. I ride a Jones out of choice for 90% of ‘my riding’ time. All hype / just a conversation piece huh … : ) Nah, it’s simply the most fun rides out there if you don’t need shocks to go fast and have fun. It’s a brilliant piece of design, the handling really is nothing like normal rigids and puts many suspended bikes to shame. For rocky rides? You’d be suprised.. no bike is a perfect all-rounder, but this design is closer than you’d expect Shame it’s not better understood.

Justin - 10/09/12 - 1:02pm

Looks like a fun bike for flowing trails without too many rocks.

NPW - 10/09/12 - 1:43pm

The Jones trolling is just weird to me. At first I thought it all spawned from rigid hatred, but Jones catches a lot more crap than any other rigid bike. Next, I thought it must be cost, but the last couple of years Jones has come out with a diamond frame/fork that is competitive with any other small batch bike company. And it rides great. So what am I left with? Must be people just don’t like the looks. That’s fine. Not every bike should appeal to every rider.

On the so-called “pretentious” video: I believe that was shot specifically for a musuem display. It’s not a sales pitch.
And I met Jeff once too–just like an earlier hater–and Jones couldn’t have been more friendly and willing to talk about bikes.

RG - 10/09/12 - 3:48pm

Right on NPW. I ride a Steel Spaceframe and it’s a FANTASTIC bike. I am amazed at all the narrow minds in this thread. Really, just go ride. – ride anything – ANYTHING.

Tim Tidball - 01/05/13 - 7:47pm

It’s funny that people crawl out of the woodwork and jump on the suspension bandwagon without ever throwing a leg over a rigid 29er! I got my jones this past June, it’s a steel diamond with a unicrown fork and sincerely do not miss the suspension. It has a different ride, and it takes a few rides to acclamate to the feel of a rigid Jones, but let me tell you it does not disappoint! Yes, you feel more if the trail, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Go ride one before becoming a cynic from the confines of your couch on your iPhone!

Happy trails!