Shimano Adding New Di2 TT/Triathlon Brake Lever Shifter Pods, Updating Heirarchy

2013 TM01 Dura-Ace Di2 triathlon TT bike

At Interbike, a couple of our eagle-eyed writers noticed BMC’s 2013 TM01 TT/triathlon bike was equipped with Dura-Ace Di2 9070 11-speed group and an as-yet-unseen full suite of button pods up front. Thing is, the brake lever shifter pods aren’t easily found on Shimano’s website yet, nor are they available anywhere online.

Here’s what’s going on: Shimano’s Di2 parts that don’t need to be spec-level specific will come without Dura-Ace, Ultegra or other branding, just a model number. That includes the TT/triathlon shifter pods moving forward, and likely the junction boxes and all wiring and batteries, too. So what you’re seeing on the this BMC is a mock build using existing Di2 TT shifters mated to the new drivetrain just for the show. Delivery isn’t expected until late this year, which is why BMC’s TM01 and any other tri bike planning on spec’ing Di2 will be held until then.

UPDATE: The BMC photos here, including the ones we took of just the levers, are mockups so they could get their catalog together. Actual new Di2 TT shifters/brake pods may look a bit different…we’re hoping a little sleeker.

These were on BMC’s display bike, but the new versions won’t get Dura-Ace branding and will work with any Di2 system, 10- or 11-speed.

What’s coming:

• SW9071 – Single-button aero bar end shifters for TT bikes with a single front ring
  • SWR671 – Dual-button aero bar end shifters for TT/triathlon bikes with double chainrings
  • ST9071 – Brake levers with button shifters

Some of the aerobar button pods are available now, and you can also incorporate the climber and sprinter remote button pods into your setup if you want.

Above, the Dura-Ace Di2 TM01, and the Ultegra Di2 version below…which shows some unmarked Di2 brake levers with the buttons, probably more in line with what we should see on showroom floors this winter.

Comments

Justin - 10/02/12 - 11:35am

“The difference is Shimano’s move to the single-wire E-Tube format for the new Dura-Ace. Introduced with Ultegra Di2, it simplifies installation and reduces the number of wires needed. The new shifters will work only with E-Tube.”

So the only difference with this new TT shift lever is that it’s E-Tube compatible?

Tyler (Editor) - 10/02/12 - 11:57am

Essentially, yes, the E-Tube wiring format is the functional difference…aesthetically, they’ll supposedly do away with “Dura-Ace” or “Ultegra” branding and just use a series/number model name. The point is, at present, not all options have been formally announced, we just did a little digging and wanted to let everyone know what’s coming.

ajbosch - 10/02/12 - 1:58pm

Am I missing something here? I have these exact same shifters (10 speed) on my bike (Argon 18 E118) purchased in mid July of this year and it was no fuss, or are you just showing the close-ups of these to indicate that nothing has changed?

ajbosch - 10/02/12 - 2:01pm

OOPS Sorry Tyler has already answered my question. I opened th page some time ago an only commented now. :)

TriSliceRS - 10/02/12 - 4:35pm

OK… so my brand new (soon-to-be-released, but not-shipped-yet-probably-coz-the-delay-due-to-Di2-shifters) Ultegra Di2 tri/tt bike is supposed to come with aero bar end shifters… but it doesn’t look like the spec includes Di2 shifters on the bull horns (it shows TRP). So. Given what you are saying, later in the year I should be able to switch out the TRP’s and replace with Shimano’s Brake Lever/Di2 shifter… Right?

Tyler (Editor) - 10/03/12 - 8:30am

TriSlice – Yes, you should. All of the E-Tube parts should be mix-and-match as long as the number of speeds are the same (10sp or 11sp) or, when available, you’ve programmed them to the correct number of cogs.

zombieweekly - 10/03/12 - 8:47am

>So. Given what you are saying, later in the year I should be able to switch out the TRP’s and replace with Shimano’s Brake Lever/Di2 shifter… Right?

I think that would depend on your frame. From what I heard from the Shimano guys, those new aero brake shifters, BR9010, will work only on frames with Direct Mount Brake holders such as Madone 6&7 series. I’m guessing you want to switch out the TRP mini-V brakes but unless your frame is Madone 6 or 7 series, they won’t fit on your bike.

ajbosch - 10/03/12 - 9:06am

@Zombieweekly
Trek doesn’t do Madone tri-bikes though do they?

zombieweekly - 10/03/12 - 9:29am

@ajbosch
>Trek doesn’t do Madone tri-bikes though do they?

Just went and checked the the Trek site, and since neither of the Speed Concept bikes use direct mount brakes, no, they won’t fit (maybe if you remove the aero covers, but I don’t own neither so don’t count on it.)

Since those direct mount brake mount was developed with Trek and Shimano, I’m guessing there will be patent fee in order to use them. Seems like a lotta money for something that might be used extensively…but hey, Shimano make millions, must be chump change.

zombieweekly - 10/03/12 - 9:51am

oops, I meant to say NOT used extensively, blargh

ajbosch - 10/03/12 - 11:39am

On my Argon18 E118 I switched out the standard TRP brakes levers for the Dura-Ace Di2 set as shown in the pics above (ST7971) ( http://www.bikebling.com/Shimano-Dura-Ace-ST-7971-Digital-Dual-Control-TT-L-p/shimano-duraace-st-7971-trilev.htm )without changing out the TRP aerointegrated brakes and they work fine without any modifications. BUT that is on the previous system (or current, depending on which way you look at it )

Glenn Gundermann - 10/21/12 - 6:19pm

Does the SWR671 come with wires and if not, what is the part number to order?

oterpoter - 11/13/12 - 1:45pm

Will I be able to buy a complete set of Ultegra Di2 TT aerobar and brakeshifters, and replace my DuraAce mech set on my FELT DA 2009 TT bike? I really hope so, since I am a triathlete, doing Ironman triathlons (Norseman),, we in norway have alot of undulating hills to VERY hilly routes. Thus demanding alot of time on the breake/standing position, and to be able to change gears from that position will awesome!

cheers