Bikerumor Pic Of The Day: Prototype SRAM Electronic Rear Derailleur?

Bikerumor pic of the day SRAM electronic rear derailleur

Photo submitted by Matt Witkowski, “I took this photo several months ago. The owner of the bicycle requested anonymity, however simultaneously claimed to be an industry insider. The drivetrain was quite startling–it looked completely alien, and had no similarities to anything I had ever seen before. Amazingly, it appears as if SRAM has developed cross-compatibility with Di2: the bike was equipped with 7970 shifters! Unbelievable! Looks like SRAM really stepped up their electronic drivetrain R&D.”

To see more Pics of the Day, click here, and to submit your own photo to be shown to the world, go here.

Comments

earlybird - 09/26/12 - 7:07am

Really?

That’s a Dura Ace di2 rear mech, upgraded with a K-edge Ki2 kit.

Gerald - 09/26/12 - 7:15am

And with “SRAM” written on in felt tip. If it was a secret prototype, would they write their name on it?

mark ifi - 09/26/12 - 7:18am

haha! it is a dura ace.

TJ - 09/26/12 - 7:42am

Would have believed it if it were only written in crayon…

Laurens - 09/26/12 - 7:43am

Pretty lame and disappointing – earlybird got it right, a DuraAce Di2 rear mech with a K-edge conversion kit and SRAM scribbled on it with an edding. There should be plenty of really interesting spy shots after Eurobike and Interbike, unlike this one.

Duder - 09/26/12 - 7:46am

Wow, there sure are a lot of stupid people here who don’t get the sarcasm……

scissorhands - 09/26/12 - 7:53am

best spy shot I jhave seen all week…LOL….Love it. Maybe someone can post some “secret SRAM mineral oil brakes”

Laurens - 09/26/12 - 7:53am

@Duder

On this site, I expect more than sarcasm, I expect insider news. And I might not be the only one.
So rather than “stupid” or “too stupid to get sarcasm”, this is a case of “disappointed expectation”, mkey?
It’s like a serious quality newspapers publishing a sarcastic news piece on UFOs – it’s just not the right place and format for this kind of brooohaha-sarcasm.

So please be so kind not to call anyone stupid, will ya? Because that almost always gets back to you.

Eric - 09/26/12 - 8:02am

@Duder – I’m suprised myself that there seem to be some people who missed the joke in this. While no need for calling them stupid, it should be pretty obvious this isn’t a SRAM product.

@Laurens – Bikes are meant to be fun. A little sarcasm here and there never hurt anyone. Bikerumor also isn’t claiming this to be a spy shot. It’s a photo submitted as a joke by one of the readers. Go ride your bike and have fun

Dan - 09/26/12 - 8:21am

@Eric, don’t you know bikes are serious business. Cat 5 roadies need every advantage they can get, and lets not mention CX season is upon us. Dudes in sunny SoCal pretending they are riding foul weather of Europe is the best joke cycling has.

Dillao - 09/26/12 - 8:23am

This picture is hilarious!

There are plenty of other sites where people can ‘expect’ to see the same lame press releases over and over again.

VeloBelo - 09/26/12 - 9:02am

does the k-edge cage just make it mtb cassette compatible? or is there another benefit and k-edge also makes a short cage?

WannaBeSTi - 09/26/12 - 9:06am

I also see prototype alloy Mad Fiber wheels.

WannaBeSTi - 09/26/12 - 9:11am

In case you are:
A) Stupid
B) Taking it waaay to serious
C) You had to have help getting dressed this morning
My comment was a joke…just to be clear.

Maury Ballstein - 09/26/12 - 9:14am

Brint: I’m sure Hansel’s heard of styling gel, he’s a male model.
Meekus: Uh, earth to Brint, I was making a joke.
Brint: Uh, Earth to Meekus, duh, okay I knew that!
Meekus: Uh earth to Brint, I’m not so sure you did cuz you were all ‘well I’m sure he’s heard of styling gel’ like you *didn’t* know it was a joke!
Brint: I knew it was a joke Meekus, I just didn’t get it right away!

Psi Squared - 09/26/12 - 9:14am

Sweet! I’ve been hearing rumors for quite a while now about SRAM’s new “Sharpie” gruppo!

Will - 09/26/12 - 10:00am

Great joke. Thank God Tyler and the crew at BikeRumor have a sense of humor.

mike - 09/26/12 - 10:36am

No, you guys don’t get it. it’s not actually a sram prototype. It is ONLY dura ace with a k edge cage. this entire thing is wrong. someone just wrote sram on it! I should know, I’ve seen the dura ace in my REAL life and ive seen MANY pictures of the k edge cage on the internet! I can’t believe you all fell for it. I am the BEST.

Ian Dury - 09/26/12 - 11:00am

“Insider news” on Bikerumor? That’s truly an interesting take on things.

This site definitely is top-tier for newbies seeking a Popular Mechanics approach. I don’t know many engineers, physicists, mechanics, machinists, tool makers who take PM seriously, but I know a lot of scientific and mechanical ignoramuses who think PM is the dog’s bollocks!

Horses for courses!

blantonator - 09/26/12 - 11:02am

Wow. People on the internet are stupid.

It’s a joke.

satisFACTORYrider - 09/26/12 - 11:10am

damn, is this how boring interbike was this year?

Brandon - 09/26/12 - 11:22am

Yeah, Interbike was pretty boring this year

David - 09/26/12 - 11:51am

Looks flexy and not very aerodynamic. Needs dimples.

Eric - 09/26/12 - 11:55am

@Maury Ballstein – I know what would cheer everyone up…ORANGE MOCHA FRAPPACHINOS!!!

Alan Stevens - 09/26/12 - 1:40pm

Bahahahahaha.

Sevo - 09/26/12 - 1:43pm

Suckers.

C’mon Bikerumor, Love you guys a lot. But please be a wee more diligent.

Justin - 09/26/12 - 2:04pm

LOL

Topmounter - 09/26/12 - 2:46pm

I knew it was BS as soon as I saw no mention of it being a “leak”.

Luke - 09/26/12 - 3:23pm

Chuffing funny, both the original post and the “bikes are so serious, I don’t want to read jokes when I could be reading serious things. Ignore the fact that I am a grown man riding a push bike, THIS. IS. SERIOUS.”

Scott - 09/26/12 - 4:49pm

I’ll buy SRAM’s if they call it Redi2.

Evan - 09/26/12 - 9:09pm

I also thought it was funny, almost as funny as the size of the cassette.

Duder - 09/26/12 - 11:40pm

The real stupid is that some people expected serious news from BikeTumor

Jason - 09/27/12 - 3:27am

OMG, some people are WAY too serious. This pic is really funny and when you think about how bad of a hack job it looks like, how can it not be a joke? Some people need to take a chill pill. I’m a bike rumor regular and I appreciate the industry updates and what not, but have a laugh dudes, we ride bikes all the time, what could be better?

bitchplease - 09/27/12 - 11:02am

on a serious note sram has nothing good to offer

GRG - 09/27/12 - 5:02pm