A2J Shows 10.6lb Di2 Road Bike w/ 640g Frame, Including Hardware!

2013 A2J Rolo ultra lightweight custom carbon fiber road bike with 10 pound build

It’s been pretty much one year exactly since we’d heard from A2J, the Swedish company that’s building “custom stock” carbon fiber road bikes at ridiculously light weights. Thankfully they pulled me from my dazed wonder in the halls of Eurobike to point out their latest version of the Rolo and a custom build that came in at just 10lb 9oz.

The Rolo frame uses stock geometry and sizing with full custom layups, so you get it built for your weight and riding style. The sizing and geo are stock because it’s a monocoque build. Five sizes from 48 to 60 with a pretty linear stack and reach progression.

One of the more amazing things about the weight on this bike is that it’s Di2…meaning there’s a gram hogging battery in there somewhere. Where, you ask?

They’ve hidden a soft air gun battery in the seatpost.

Headtube shape is pretty aero, not hurt by the fact that they’re running a 1-1/8″ straight steerer.

The underside of the headtube transitions nicely from the aero shape to the downtube.

Only selling fully built bikes, they spec three basic kits ranging from €15,000 to €20,000. They said it typically takes about 60 hours to build a frame, more for the really light ones because they weigh each piece of carbon to ensure it’s to spec.

10lb 9oz on our scale, which equals 4.78kg.

2013 A2J Rolo ultra lightweight custom carbon fiber road bike build specs and details

Spec sheet on the left is for the Di2 bike shown above. Other one is for the painted bike below.

2013 A2J Rolo ultra lightweight custom carbon fiber road bike

Comments

Steve M - 09/06/12 - 10:25am

Make sure your Road ID bracelet has your blood type……

satisFACTORYrider - 09/06/12 - 10:35am

my 3 levels of “light” – pretty / damn / stupid.

Mark - 09/06/12 - 10:47am

No pannier racks?? pfft. next!

Mr. P - 09/06/12 - 11:04am

Not for me, but I would love to try one ride on a light bike like that.

P

Xris - 09/06/12 - 11:24am

I’m sure I could get that down to 10 flat pretty easily.

And for those wondering, the seat/post combo is done by a gentleman named Berk out of Slovenia. A wonder at working with carbon.

Andrew - 09/06/12 - 12:44pm

Pedals?

Matt - 09/06/12 - 12:51pm

Both bikes are really cool. I wouldn’t pay for one or want to ride one, but nonetheless, very cool.

FreeEthan - 09/06/12 - 2:00pm

I just ordered two of these. One will be my training bike, while the other is strictly for racing. Wait, I should probably get a third to use as a “rain bike.” DONE!

Pete - 09/06/12 - 2:18pm

Pedals, you want pedals, stick some $himano 105s on there, job done. Would be lighter with 2013 Red.

Sancho - 09/06/12 - 2:59pm

Do people actually ride bikes like these? Or do they just sit in a garage for ogling purposes and coffee shop runs?

JoeKing - 09/06/12 - 3:07pm

As a recovering weight weenie I can understand the mentality surrounding bikes like this. But reality is a bitch. I used to get smoked up hills on my 12lb. wonder-bike by 120lb. Columbians on their 22+ lb. Miele plumber’s pipe specials.

The sad truth has always been..its the motor stupid. The only thing that these bikes will lighten is your wallet. But since only hedge fund CEOs & proctologists will buy them & be too busy to ride them, they will hang as art objects, which they are best suited for anyway.

jeff - 09/06/12 - 3:08pm

i race my storck and it ranges from 11.5 lbs to 13lbs

JoeKing - 09/06/12 - 3:27pm

@Jeff

OK, but are your results better than they would be on a 15lb. bike? Really?

galen - 09/06/12 - 3:27pm

Pshaw. Someone compare that to Rob English’s personal steel race bike – 10.8lbs and way prettier. http://www.englishcycles.com/custombikes/custom-superlight-road-bike-v3/

Casey - 09/06/12 - 4:01pm

Why get this bike when you can get a specialized turbo ebike at more than half the price. You can smoke anyone with a 10lb bike. The future is motorized doping all while being a fat ass.

Frank - 09/06/12 - 5:24pm

A Cannondale Evo (raw, no decals) isn’t that much heavier.

Roger - 09/06/12 - 5:59pm

Wake me up when someone finally builds a negative weight bike. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Psi Squared - 09/06/12 - 6:47pm

If someone didn’t push the boundaries, then things like Evo Utlimates wouldn’t exist; and snobby riders wouldn’t have anything to look down their noses at.

Psi Squared - 09/06/12 - 6:48pm

I also remember the same such comments when sub 1000g frames started coming out. Hmmm.

Gillis - 09/06/12 - 8:16pm

There’s still room to drill some holes and lighten that thing up a bit.

WannaBeSTi - 09/06/12 - 9:31pm

While I wouldn’t be too excited to test ride the saddle, I would still try it.
Light bikes are fun to ride. Sure I get smoked on hills, but I don’t really care. I should ride more, but as a shop owner, I’m stoked to get 2 days/ week.

Stratosfear - 09/07/12 - 2:14am

It looks a lot like a Cannondale Evo. Until you get to the head tube where things get a little fugly.

Nathan - 09/07/12 - 3:44pm

Saying “not my thing but I’d love to ride one” is like saying “Mila Kunis really isn’t my type, but I wouldn’t say no if she came on to me”. Duh. In the words of Toby Keith “High maintenance woman don’t want no maintenance man”.