Video: Almonzo100 – A Gravel Road Race

Video by Royal Antler:

How does a man move and shape a culture? Our love of storytelling compelled us to find out, so we dug into the story of the Almanzo 100 gravel road race–the granddaddy of them all. We found that a single man’s passion for community has manifested itself in a bike race. The challenge: to race 100 miles of gravel roads without assistance or outside support. Pain and suffering exist temporarily, but the satisfaction of a battle won will empower these racers the rest of their lives. Call it a movement if you’d like but please don’t call it a fad. Gravel racing is here to stay.

Comments

Joey Brown - 08/25/12 - 2:27pm

My idea of a race! Bucket list worthy.

Hustle Rustle - 08/25/12 - 3:31pm

Great video! Gravel racing is blowing up. There are many races like this all over the Midwest.

anon - 08/25/12 - 5:29pm

Do i have to be a hipster to race this?

MNJ - 08/25/12 - 7:02pm

@Anon, daily commuters, dedicated road cyclists, mountain bikers, casual riders, local cat road racers and everyone in between ride the event, so that’s a no. Although it seems that was a sarcastic comment…

As someone who has entered and completed the Almanzo the last three years I can attest to how amazing this ride is. Self supported gravel century on back country roads. The race itself is tough with some very steep climbs. The people who enter have great sportsmanship. Some riders are there to win but for many its to have a good time.

A big thanks to Chris Skogen for organizing this event and putting in such hard work, definitely appreciate it. Can’t wait for next year, bring on the gravel.

T.C. Worley - 08/25/12 - 7:11pm

Anon, ANYONE can race this thing! Get tough and come ride!

Henry - 08/25/12 - 7:20pm

TO: anon

No but you can’t be a dumbass

Xris - 08/25/12 - 7:38pm

Probably not, you just can’t be a dick.

noko - 08/25/12 - 9:16pm

If anyone takes offense to being called a hipster, it is a hipster

cat 1 doper - 08/26/12 - 8:56pm

what about a beard? Does one have to have a beard?

bc - 08/27/12 - 8:43am

The video is interesting, but that song is unlistenably bad. I’m ready to remove my ears.

Psi Squared - 08/27/12 - 9:54am

I’m gonna put that ride on my to-do list.

KAS - 09/08/12 - 4:29am

Ridden the Almanzo 2 times after riding a Gentleman’s 100 in 2009. All 3 are in the top-5 rides of my life. Chris Skogen loves cycling and people and it shows. You will suffer, be humbled, ride alone, ride with a kind stranger. Do it, see for yourself and meet some awesome people along the way.

Dave - 01/19/13 - 3:06am

This is awesome! I currently live on Kodiak and ride a gravel road regularly, summer and winter (studded). Where can I find more info regarding race locations? I would love to see a race on the island as well, since we have lots and lots of unpaved hilly roads.