Velocomputer just announced a new mobile app in conjunction with the SmartSensor 4 bluetooth device for tracking cycling performance. Measuring time, distance, speed, acceleration, cadence and slope grade, Velocomputer makes the claim it’s 360 times more accurate than other cycling sensors.
The waterproof Smartsensor 4 body sits on the chain stay and is wired to a magnetic field sensor beside the rear hub. As a magnet on the wheel spins, data is collected and streams to a bar mounted smartphone (either Android or iPhone 4s) via bluetooth. They claim it’s great for all disciplines of cycling. Measurements are roughly 1.5 inches high and long, 0.5 inches deep.
Right now, they’re offering an early bird pricing of $100 the first 100 sensors sold. Retail is $200 after. Get the full details at VeloComputer or SoundofMotion. Click ‘more’ for a screenshot and specs…
- Detects 1cm ( ~ 3/8″ ) of distance on a standard 700C wheel.
- At least 360 times more accurate than traditional cycling sensors
- 1 second latency, up to 7 times faster than a traditional cycling computer
- Built-in 3-axis accelerometer
- Measures data with precision:
– time in 0.001 of a second
– distance in 0.01 of a meter
– speed in 0.01 of a kilometer (KMH) or a mile (MPH) per hour
– acceleration in 0.01 of a KMH or a MPH per second
– cadence as low as 1 rotation per minute (RPM)
– slope grade in 1% increments
– 3-axis X, Y and Z G-forces
- Bluetooth 4.0 SMART (low energy)
- Replaceable 3 volt CR2032 coin cell battery
- Rigid plastic enclosure