Increase Your Chances Of Being An Olympian: Be A Cyclist!

chances of making it to the summer olympics infographic

According to this infographic from ecollegefinder, you narrow your chances of becoming a Summer Olympic athlete if you participate in the sport of cycling–especially if you’re a woman. Men have a 1 in 215 chance, and women have a 1 in 64 chance! Worst odds? If you play basketball – both men and women have a 1 in 45,487 chance of making it to the summer Olympics. Click to see the details.

Thanks to Jenn for the tip!

Comments

John - 08/09/12 - 10:53am

I think they need to review their data. More people play soccer than basketball worldwide… Maybe you have a 1 in 22,000+ of playing in MLS

Nathan - 08/09/12 - 11:29am

I still think I have a better chance of becoming a Chinese fighter jet pilot.

Topmounter - 08/09/12 - 2:03pm

I’d think the best way to increase your chances of becoming an “Olympic Athlete” would to be change your citizenship to a country with a less competitive pool of athletes in your particular sport.

S. Molnar - 08/09/12 - 3:31pm

It’s clearly rubbish. They claim it represents the chances of a U.S. high school-aged athlete competing in the olympics. How many U.S. high school-aged cyclists are professionals? I believe the number is zero.

yeah right - 08/09/12 - 5:48pm

S. Molnar..not sure what you’re basing that statement on. There are SEVERAL High school age cyclist that are competitive at the professional level.

IJBCape - 08/09/12 - 8:53pm

That chart is dumb.

satisFACTORYrider - 08/10/12 - 11:22am

i think paramount would be starting off by choosing your birth parents. this may determine how long you can sit in the hurt locker and come out a rockstar.

S. Molnar - 08/10/12 - 6:39pm

“yeah right” – I admit I tend to focus on men’s road and track, and know nothing of the more recently included events. I believe the youngest male rider ever to turn pro on the road was 18 (an age at which I was out of high school, but I would count that if he had been American and selected, which he wasn’t). Could you give me examples of high school-aged cyclists who had a legitimate chance of being selected for the U.S. olympic cycling team this year?

[...] Want to be an Olympian? Start cycling.  According to an infographic from ecollegefinder, you narrow your chances of becoming a Summer [...]