Bikerumor Monday Mystery Pic

bikerumor monday mystery pic

Photo from the collection of Jeff Archer of First Flight Bicycles. If you think you know what this is, post your answer in the ‘comments’ section– the correct answer will be posted there on Tuesday!

To send in your own Mystery Pic to be considered for the Monday feature, click here and attach your photo with all pertinent information.

Comments

Jason - 07/30/12 - 7:05am

CampagnolO pedal, circa 86?

Dennis - 07/30/12 - 7:48am

Hey,

I think this could be a Campagnolo Record SGR-Pedal!
It is nice and smooth but heavy like a stone :)

Stephen Connor - 07/30/12 - 7:51am

Campagnolo SGR 1987

benny - 07/30/12 - 7:57am

Early Campagnolo pedal circa 1987

jeff - 07/30/12 - 8:05am

Campy’s first attempt at a clip less pedal, the SGR.
Nice stack height, eh?

erik - 07/30/12 - 8:05am

Campagnolo SGR

Nelson - 07/30/12 - 8:22am

Old Campy clipless pedal. I had a pair of these and they were terrible!!!

Jon - 07/30/12 - 9:22am

Yep – Campy’s horrendous first clipless pedals. I believe the cleats used a Look drilling pattern, at least.

atgani - 07/30/12 - 12:02pm

didn’t the SGR have a mechanism which held the pedal at the same angle that it was unclipped from?

Sorry for the poor English – I can’t think of a neater way of putting that!

MarkV - 07/30/12 - 12:09pm

A really nice, Campy paperweight (ie. SGR clippless pedal).

bill - 07/30/12 - 12:23pm

Those are Campagnolo SGR pedals. I used to have a pair of them. They’re beautiful to look at, work great but OMG they’re heavy by today’s standards.

steel-is-real - 07/30/12 - 2:32pm

Here is the run down on these 640 gram beasts:-

The Campagnolo SGR is more than just a simple component and in keeping with the latest technology from Campagnolo.

The SGR is a true machine in itself. Concealed within the pedal body are three separate mechanisms: the adjustable release tension, the adjustment of lateral freeplay and Campagnolo’s patented “Easy Fitting System”.

Thanks to the technically innovative “Easy Fitting System” the pedal will maintain a horizontal position after the shoe has been disengaged. This feature eliminates the need to “kick” the pedal up when engaging the shoe guaranteeing fast, easy entry whether in a tightly bunched peloton or on a crowded city street. As soon as the shoe is engaged the pedal is free to rotate.

The second mechanism allows one to adjust the amount of lateral freeplay the shoe has on the pedal. This lateral movement can be adjusted from 0 degrees (shoe completely locked) up to a maximum of 5 degrees of float.

A third mechanism uses a 4mm allen screw to easily adjust the tension of the release spring.

The Campagnolo SGR pedals feature Campagnolo’s new “Triple Bearing System” supporting a hardened chromemoly axle. The body is made of Avional aluminium and all internal parts are sealed from the elements. The pedal can be easily lubricated via two lube ports on the underside of the pedal.

Cruickster - 07/30/12 - 5:30pm

As above, campagnolo SGR. I still have a couple of pairs in my collection. A bit like the delta brakes, heavy as, not very functional but glorious to look at.

dan t. - 07/30/12 - 6:22pm

And yet, somehow, I managed to bark my shin against the top of those pedals once when testing them for a bike shop. Yes, I am magic.

oldsacracer - 07/31/12 - 12:02am

Campy SGR, my best bud and my best man at my wedding in 1990 used these. He poo-pooed my first generation Look pedals in 1986 and snubbed my first generation Time pedals (I don’t need no stinkin’ French pedals nor do my knees need “float”).
Heavy as a tank, but hey, who worries about rotating weight!
Crankset, rear derailluer and brakes are still as beautiful a component as we have seen to date.

Kristibee - 07/31/12 - 8:33am

Answer from Jeff at First Flight Bicycles: “Campagnolo road clipless pedal.”