Surly Krampus: Holy Mackrel! It’s 29+!

Via Taeblog:

As further evidence that Surly live in a parallel universe in which suspension never evolved to its current (really quite good) state, aluminum is suitable only for containing beer, hydraulic disc brakes are something to be viewed with suspicion, and neither skis nor snowshoes were ever invented, we have the Krampus.  A steel frame built around the brand’s new 29×3.0 “29+” wheel size, the Krampus is apparently the “logical progression of the 29er.”  (Never mind that most of the industry sees 650b as the logical progression of the 29er.)  Much like a bowling ball at the top of the stairs can claim “high potential energy,” the 820g (plus 699g rim) Knard tire’s claim of “fast rolling inertia” neatly sidesteps the issue of how that inertia is achieved.  To be fair, it does look to be “like nothing [I've] ever ridden” and could be exactly what I’m looking for.  Only some saddle time will tell.  Heave yourselves over the break for Surly’s cut sheet and a closeup of what looks to be a tapered steerer in a 44mm head tube…

surlybikes.com

Comments

brd - 07/21/12 - 2:55pm

didn’t see that one coming :))))

trizzle - 07/21/12 - 3:07pm

Don’t be so hasty with your snarky comments. Fatbikes are fun (have you ridden?), so give it a chance!

Ivan - 07/21/12 - 3:12pm

Drooling :P

Cheers!
I.

Tim O - 07/21/12 - 3:29pm

Trizzle,

Freeride bikes are fun too. Like fatbikes, they’re bouncy, heavy, don’t like to climb, are a pain to get shifting right, and can make you smile on downhills. The difference is that freeriders don’t insist on taking them out of their element, smugly imply they’re the only bike you need, or that they’re somehow more “roots” than a good old-fashioned XC or trail bike. That crap is lame. Don’t get me started on flannel and trucker caps.

Devian Gilbert - 07/21/12 - 3:31pm

that so hell-a-rocks! just when I thought I had adequately satiated my Surly addiction, now theres a new kick!

trizzle - 07/21/12 - 3:55pm

Tim O – fun is in the eye of the beholder, no? It’s very anti-bike to imply that people who have fun and promote their particular slice of the bike world (regardless of their headwear or shirt fabric choice) is fairly narrow minded.

I take offense at the author’s implication that Surly is somehow weird for not offering suspension and using steel – plenty of folks ride steel, plenty ride rigid. To each his own.

martini - 07/21/12 - 4:09pm

TimO,
and what perchance is the ‘element’ of fatbikes? They’re a mountain bike just like the rest of this fragmented industry. Are we only supposed to ride them on beaches or snow? Takes all of the fun out of it if I can’t ride my mountain bike every/anywhere.

The Dude - 07/21/12 - 4:09pm

Mad respect for using the Krampus name. Bout time someone did!

Marc - 07/21/12 - 4:13pm

trizzle & tim,

Time to chill out a bit. Surly, of all companies, can take a bit of gentle ribbing. As evidenced by the Krampus’ positive reception here and on TwentyNineInches.com, they’ll have no trouble moving these by the container load. Ride whatever you want, wearing whatever you want- as long as it makes you happy (and doesn’t chafe too much)…

marc

Brendan - 07/21/12 - 4:22pm

I wish they would say if it is offset or not.

RC - 07/21/12 - 4:52pm

Dimes to Donuts it is NOT offset.

Mr. P - 07/21/12 - 4:54pm

Looks like a great budget fun bike!

P

taylor - 07/21/12 - 5:43pm

When will this be available? and what will be the price?

Jdog - 07/21/12 - 6:11pm

The thing that impresses me most is the ton of work it takes to bring a new tire to market. Surly seems to jump this hurdle w/ease. Nice work boys!

I am building one ASAP.

Matt - 07/21/12 - 6:22pm

It’s all demographics and marketing. This bike is for males who have a ‘stable’ of bikes at home and like cool, niche products.

If this bike were made of aluminum, would anyone want one over their current fat bike?

Russ - 07/21/12 - 7:14pm

When will they be available?

ZachOverholt - 07/21/12 - 7:50pm

QBP states the Krampus will be officially released at Eurobike. No word on availability.

Justin - 07/21/12 - 10:16pm

I’m kind of impressed that they managed to keep the 135mm hub spacing with room for a 3″ tire, cassette, and disc brake. Want to try one for sure.

bubbrubb - 07/21/12 - 10:19pm

its likely ill be testriding one tomorrow @ Snowbasin in Utah.
its also likely that ill hate it. imma justa sayin….

saddlelight - 07/21/12 - 11:46pm

nice kickstand, is that aftermarket?

fatguyonalittle - 07/22/12 - 8:33am

Krampus is a mythical creature recognized in Alpine countries. According to legend, Krampus accompanies Saint Nicholas during the Christmas season, warning and punishing bad children, in contrast to St. Nicholas, who gives gifts to good children. When the Krampus finds a particularly naughty child, it stuffs the child in its sack and carries the frightened child away to its lair, presumably to devour for its Christmas dinner.

I guess the trail will be the naughty child… very good to see limits being pushed in many directions.

BBB - 07/22/12 - 11:20am

I don’t quite understand why some people brand anything outside their 1.95″-2.40″ tunnel vision as weird, extreme or nothing other than just a cool niche product for people with many bikes.
It’s like roadies living in their 23-25mm matrix.

You can’t know if the existing popular tyre sizes are really “the best” if you haven’t tried anything else, can you?

I run 29″ 2.40 tyres (Ardents and Racing Ralphs for events) on 47mm wide rims (12-18PSI) which to many people is an “extreme, heavy and slow” OTT setup but they have a huge grip and traction, offer plenty of comfort and among people who I ride with there’s no faster rolling bike. I’d never go back to narrower tyres.

The fact that 3″ tyres are wider than something that you may be familiar with doesn’t mean that they are extreme, fat or weird or have to be used on snow or sand. They simply make perfect sense for allround riding at least on a fully rigid bike.

The reason why it’s a niche market is because people who THINK rather than follow are a minority.

VeloBelo - 07/22/12 - 2:21pm

Threadjack.
If something far different from the norm in every regard isn’t extreme, what is?

Bill C - 07/22/12 - 2:40pm

Fadbikers ATTACK!

It’s good to know that the house brand of the US’s biggest bike parts distributor has so many independent spirits to defend them.

For all that, I do think that the bike looks fun- will it take a front derailleur?

Bill C - 07/22/12 - 2:41pm

^not fast or efficient. Fun.

JZ - 07/22/12 - 3:21pm

I just finished riding a Krampus and I have to say I had an absolute blast. I really didn’t want to give it back. It is a totally different bike than a Puglsy. It’s fast and wants to be pushed hard, especially in the corners. Honestly, I could see crazies out there saying it could be their only bike, maybe not me but i could understand it. I would happily do a 2-3 hour ride on it. I only noticed the rotational weight on some steep sections but general trail blasting the weight wasn’t noticed.

Will I be getting one? Very likely so but I have a quiver of bikes and it would fit in well. It was just way too much fun.

Jason - 07/22/12 - 10:04pm

Of the four bikes I rode today at Snowbasin, the Krampus was by far my favorite. More nimble and capable than a fat bike, more aggresive amd forgiving than a rigid 29er. It climbed surprisingly well for sucha heavy bike and it descended really confidently through rutted berms and over the (admittedly few) rocks. Looking forward to round two tomorrow.

Tom - 07/23/12 - 3:44am

looks like an anoying toeoverlap from far away dosn’t it?? Nice and style anyway!

Jon - 07/23/12 - 7:26am

Personally I think it looks like a blast, and kudos to Surly for bringing so many interesting niche bikes to market.

bcmanucd - 07/23/12 - 11:53am

BB shell is 73mm. Highly unlikely the dropouts are offset. I would guess that it’s not front derailleur compatible, or maybe just middle+big ring compatible.

Nivlac - 07/24/12 - 12:23pm

It’s Dr Steve Brule trying to say “campus”

Darren - 07/25/12 - 6:51pm

I am thinking the 3.0 tire would be great on My Rigid 29er with White Bros Carbon Rigid fork. I have 2.4 Ardents on there now. Could this tire work on Crest rims, would rather not have to get new wheels. But could.

bubbrubb - 07/26/12 - 10:35pm

my experience was that in the intended surfaces of fat bikes, this will excell beyond current 26 varieties… but the bike is a beast. i corner really well, and can roost a corner no brakes on my xc or dh bike and this bike was hard to manage. the other fat bikes were lighter and changed direction quicker (no surprise). tire clearance at the stays were maxed out and should you break a spoke it could be a real liability.
i got really low over the stem and fought the bike at speed in tight corners but never got the correct direction as the tire would yield up front before it dug in and gave me the right line. granted, this is not a trail bike per se, but comparing the bikes this was the least friendly at speed and in tight stuff.