The Porteur is a Kickstarter project by Faraday Bikes. A $100,000 goal is set and they’re well on their way to meeting it. Harnessing a handmade classic aesthetic, Faraday also weaved in some modern features into the Porteur. The Porteur gets an E-assist system. A 250W front hub motor constantly pumps power while pedaling and this power can be boosted at times by mashing a bar-mounted throttle. Lithium batteries that run the E-assist are hidden in the double top tube.
A TIG welded 4130 cro-mo steel frame is the backbone of the build. It’s handmade in the USA by Faraday. Transmission is Shimano’s Alfine 8 speed hub rigged with Avid mechanical disc brakes for stopping power. Range is 10-15 miles with power full blast and a full recharge takes 45 minutes. Weight comes in at 39lbs without the front rack equipped.
Faraday’s offering the Porteur for $3500 in three sizes – 51cm 54.5 cm, and 59cm. Click ‘more’ for a video, some other features of the Porteur and specs…
Linked to the top tubes batteries is the on/off switch and charge port. The blue button turns the power on while the port below accepts the charger.
LED lights are integral and a light sensor switches them on automatically after dark. Also, a quick release mechanism on the front rack allows for easy removal if you’re shaving grams on a commute.
Specs from Faraday’s Kickstarter page:
- Shifting:- Production Version: 8 speed Shimano Alfine internally geared hub
- Brakes: Avid mechanical disc brakes.
- Headset:- Production Version: Velo Orange GrandCru
- Motor: 250W brushless DC electric hub motor.
- Electric range: Approximately 10-15 miles of full pedal-assist riding.
- Actual range: Unlimited…the Faraday will take you as far as you can pedal.
- Weight: 39 pounds (without the front rack).
- Tires: Standard 26 inch, 35mm tires.
- Frame: Production Version: TIG welded 4130 chromoly steel, handmade in the USA.
- Saddle: Production Version: Brooks B17 leather saddle.
- Fenders: Production Version: Durable, waterproof bamboo fenders.
- Handlebar: Choose between a Velo Orange Belleville (flat) or Left Bank (riser) handlebar.
- Cargo Rack: Choose a large or small removable rack to personalize your Faraday.