Bianchi Unveils Oltre XR – Lighter, Stiffer Racing Road Bike
Bianchi has just announced their next level racing road bike, the 2013 Oltre XR.
We have the “standard” Oltre in on review, and it’s no slouch in terms of stiffness and weight, but the XR claims to be stiffer and lighter, coming in just under 900g for a 55.
Visually, it’s very similar to the Oltre, which includes the aerodynamically shaped tubes, ultra thin seatstays and angles on the head- and down tubes. The key difference is the combination of UMS40and CN60 Ultra High Modulus carbon fibers, which dropped 30g from the frame while increasing frame rigidity by 20%. Bianchi says this gives it the best stiffness to weight ratio of any bike they’ve ever made.
UPDATED: Video rundown added after the break!
Frame price will be $4,999.99. Complete bikes will have Ultegra Di2, Campagnolo EPS and similar high-end builds. Availability is TBD, as are complete bike prices. More pics and details below…
Specs & Features, per Bianchi:
- Tapered headtube 1 1/8” – 1.5”, for improved rigidity on the front part, providing enhanced handling and power transmission
- BB30 improves stiffness and rigidity
- Aero shape and design
- Dedicated seatpost system with integrated look
- Internal cable routing
- UTSS Ultra Thin Seat Stay
- Carbon Monocoque technology
- UMS40+CN60 Ultra High Modulus carbon fibers
- Nano Tubes evolution of Nano technology applied to the carbon
- X-TeX Technology
- WMP Optimized molding process to reduce weight
- Unidirectional carbon woven
- 7 sizes: 47-50-53-55-57-59-61
- Weight: 895gr (size 55, +/- 5%)