Cardo BK-1 Headset: Walkie-Talkie Linkage, Bluetooth Connectivity
Specializing in walkie-talkie gadgets for motorcycles and snowmobiles, Cardo Systems recently unveiled a rig specifically for cycling – the BK-1. It’s a radio headset that’ll link three cyclists to walkie-talkie each other at a distance up to 500 meters.
Each headset picks up two radio signals from other BK-1 devices and switches between lines with the mash of a button. Also, when not talking it up with other cyclists, BK-1 doubles as a standard headset and connects to mp3 players, gps devices and phones via bluetooth .
BK-1 has two parts – the transmitter and the headset. The waterproof transmitter straps atop the helmet with velcro the same way as bicycle headlights. A rechargeable Li-poly battery lasts for about 7 hours with constant radio chatter or music. Charge time is 3 hours. The headset connected to the transmitter is composed of a microphone/earbud combo on the right ear and a standard earbud on the left ear. A cord from the headset runs through the back of the helmet to the transmitter. To avoid the dangers of earbuds while riding, the headset velcros to the interior of the helmet, leaving some cushion space between the buds and the ear.
Built into the transmitter are five buttons – channels A and B, volume controls, buttons to cycle songs, and a cellular call button.
Tech specs from Cardo Systems’ website:
- Fits virtually all bicycle helmets
- Lightweight Aerodynamic design (main module weight 50.7g)
- Waterproof and dustproof (IP67 standards)
- Up to 7 hours talk time/1 week stand by
- Universal Travel Charger 110/240V 50/60Hz
Battery type: Rechargeable Li- Polymer
- Charging time – 3 hours
- Omni-directional microphone
- Hovering speakers with flexible boom for
maximum biker comfort
- Multi – functional USB jack
- 3-way Bike-to-Bike intercom conference mode at a
range of up to 500 m /1 640 feet
- Click-to-Link Spontaneous intercom conversations with any
cardo BK-1 user nearby
- Make / Receive / Reject mobile phone calls either by voice
command or at the push of a button
- Receive in-the-ear GPS navigation voice
- Upgradeable Software to support future enhancements/features USB cable for PC included
Multiple Device Connectivity
- Mobile Phone
- Voice-control for receiving or rejecting incoming mobile or intercom calls
- Packet Loss Concealment: Real-Time compensation of audio losses in challengingenvironments
- Digital Signal Processing Technology for
- Volume-Per-Mode: Volume is set and saved at different levels for each audio function
- Echo cancellation for increased audio clarity