Keywin Unveils Carbon Fiber Road Pedals – 223g With Multiple Spindle Lengths

Keywin Carbon Pedal is a new lightweight carbon fiber road bike pedal with internal float

Keywin, out of Auckland, New Zealand (where everything is designed, made and assembled), have added a lightweight full carbon fiber pedal to their lineup.

The new Keywin Carbon Pedal comes in at a claimed 223g for the pair, 299g with cleats and hardware. For comparison, the Speedplay Zero Titanium pedals with three-bolt cleats come in at 282g. They have a relatively low 14mm stack height and a whopping 35° of toe in/out adjustment and 2cm of fore/aft placement.

A couple of unique features: Keywin’s six degrees of “float” is contained within the pedal rather than the cleat, so your cleat is locked firmly into the pedal body. The pedal body then floats on the axle with tunable resistance – turn a screw to make the float feel lighter or firmer. Or, you can insert the “0″ end cap on the pedals to get zero degrees of float.

To really dial the ride in, they offer six spindle lengths (49,52,55,58,61, and 65 mm), which are available individually for left and right. Bike fitters can order what they need to fine tune the ride for any client.

Retail is just $199, pretty good for something so light and apparently durable. They were on the bike that Alan Bate used to set a world circumnavigation record by bicycle. Keywin’s US rep said he rode the same pedals and cleats for the entire 18,310.47 miles of riding.

Need something lighter? They have a Carbon Ti model coming with a titanium spindle that’ll drop 54g from the system for a pedal/cleat/hardware total of just 255g (claimed). Retail will be $299.

Comments

J.R. - 06/13/12 - 2:15pm

You know, I’m sure it’s a decent pedal. A lot of the features look really cool. But they might have spent a bit more time on industrial design. It looks like a Lego experiment gone wrong—just not sexy. And those cleats look downright dangerous to stand/walk in. Here’s hoping that this is v1 and there will be many more to come….

Craig - 06/13/12 - 5:43pm

Actually the shape is a function of the surface area contact between cleat and pedal which is 4 times that of the surface area contact of any other brand. The base of this design has been in production since 1983 and has been incredibly successful, being appreciated by those that understand the benefits of better power transfer, and a huge range of bio-mechanically beneficial adjustments. I agree they are not the best looking, but seriously do you ride along holding your little video cam under peoples shoes checking out their pedals? Has anyone done this to you? No I don’t work for Keywin, but have fitted many people on bikes and recommended their pedals because they have important features that other brands just don’t have. Have you seen SMP saddles? Really ugly, but for some people it is the ONLY brand that works for them. Form just sometimes has to follow function, especially if that function is providing something that is not achievable with “mainstream industrial design”.

Mortimer - 06/13/12 - 7:51pm

I’ve got titanium Keywins on both my bikes. I’ve used the same pedals on one of the bikes since 1995 and the other since 2002.They don’t suit everyone but for me they are perfect (have tried Shmano, Time and Look at times but always ended back on the Keywins).

Jones - 06/14/12 - 1:50am

My first set of Keywins lasted 16 years. I started with the first generation square ones which were still nailed/screwed to the shoe and then when Look finally came out with theirs I upgraded the bodies to the three bolt 2nd generation. I have been riding the Ti model on my training and racing bikes for 6 years. Every part is available seperately and at a decent price. Extremely tough, adjustable and very light. Try them, the contact area is huge and you simply wont get hot spots or anything like that.

Darwin - 06/15/12 - 11:09am

Im pretty intrigued by these pedals. They hit all my high points. Wide platform for my size 48 wide feet, long spindles, free float. They aren’t widely used or available in the US though.

Ragged - 06/15/12 - 12:07pm

If you go to the site http://www.keywinpedals.com you can see all their U.S dealers. I have been using the previous model for a couple years. I switched off carbon Dura-Ace and I’ll never go back, the contact feel is like nothing else.