Falkenjagd Titanium Shows New Teleon 650B Hardtail

Falkenjagd-Titanium-Teleon-650B-mountain-bike

Falkenjagd Titanium out of Germany just sent over pics and words on their all-new Teleon 650B titanium hardtail.

They claim it’s the first (or at least one of the first) ti mountain bikes with specific 650B Geometry. Beyond that, they’ve given it an impressive list of modern standards. The frame is 6/4 3/2.5 titanium with hydroformed tubes all around – Toptube and seattube are cone-shaped, the downtube is tapered from square to ovalized at the bottombracket. The main triangle is triple butted and the rear end is double butted with 6/4 dropouts. All this adds up to a claim of being the stiffest ti hardtail on the market.

It’s built around the Syntace X-12 dropouts, post mount 160mm rear-brake, CNC-machined inset 44 headtube, a PF92 bottom bracket

They’ve brought along a mostly German party, too. Only the chocolate cake is missing: Shimano XTR drivetrain, BrakeForceOne hydraulic disc brakes, Tune Prince & Princess wheelset, Schwalbe 650B Racing Ralph tires, Reset headset and new Magura 650B Durin fork with 15mm axle and 1.5 tapered steerer.

Complete bike will be around €5,500 EUR and weighs just 9.5kg (21lbs) as shown.

Falkenjagd-Titanium-Teleon-650B-mountain-bike

Falkenjagd-Titanium-Teleon-650B-mountain-bike

Falkenjagd-Titanium-Teleon-650B-mountain-bike

Comments

Kristina - 05/18/12 - 2:44am

It is not the first. I have built 650b titanium bike already in February. Frame is custom Van Nicholas Zion. Fork C-Dale Lefty Speed PBR 2012 100mm, wheels Notubes ZTR Crest rims/Tune hubs/DT Swiss spokes (1.310g). Pics here. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=400220170008526&set=a.354360804594463.85276.104874536209759&type=3&theater

MattGvt - 05/18/12 - 5:53am

Wow, nice! Entirely 6/4 tubing too, that’s is something you don’t see that often anymore. I remember reading about a few 6/4 ti road frames from 10+ years ago, but not seen any in mtb form. That stem/bar combo looks pretty great too.

Olibabe - 05/18/12 - 6:50am

Hydroformed 6/4… seems impossible to me. The 6/4 tubes are always made from 6/4 sheets of titanium, welded all along to have a “tube” form. I believe it’s a 3/2.5 with some 6/4 parts, like BB, headtube, etc.

Mike - 05/18/12 - 7:40am

Awesome! And very cool parts. I love this bike. Is there a meaning behind the brand name Falkenjagd or is it just a surname?

gatouille - 05/18/12 - 8:04am

Titanium 6/4, hydroforming, triple butted -> all this technology for a 1770g frame. It’s not interesting !!!

Tommy - 05/18/12 - 8:47am

Stiffness counts more, believe me. I think, nowadays nobody rides titanium bikes because of its weight. Cheers from the island!

Brattercakes - 05/18/12 - 9:54am

@Kristina.

I didn’t look at your bike.

incognitus - 05/18/12 - 11:11am

@ Mike – “Falkenjagd” means falconing

Matt M. - 05/18/12 - 3:09pm

“All this adds up to a claim of being the stiffest ti hardtail on the market.”

I guess I’m confused, but this seems like an oxymoron to me. Isn’t the purpose of titanium to have a steel-like ride at a carbon-like weight? I ride a Ti 29er and that is the exact reason. If I wanted a stiff / rigid bike I would go with an Air 9 Carbon or Alma Carbon. I chose Ti in order to be afforded the weight of riding a hardtail with added compliance for comfort.

Tyler (Editor) - 05/18/12 - 3:31pm

Olibabe – thanks for the link. The info we were sent was confusingly written and implied the frame was stiffer because it was 6/4. Upon closer inspection and a better look at this site (a distributor, I think), it looks like you’re right, the frame is 3/2.5 and the dropouts are 6/4. Just updated the post.

steelman - 05/19/12 - 5:52pm

One characteristic doesn`t necessarily exclude the other: you can engineer the mainframe very stiff whilst the rear triangle provides damping. For that purpose titanium can be the favoured material.

Drew - 05/19/12 - 9:30pm

@Matt M

I think in this case they mean stiffness as in lateral stiffness. Frame is still likely designed to maintain vertical compliance like most Ti bikes. Lateral stiffness is always a good thing in my book, unless you only ride in straight lines and don’t pedal very hard.

tombraider - 05/22/12 - 10:27am

very tasty… but unfortunately not available here.

thommy - 02/05/14 - 8:05am

very nice bike! Great specs.