Campagnolo Intros 52/36 Wide Range Cranks, Cassettes & Performance Triple Cranksets

2013 Campagnolo 52-36 wide range chainring gearing option on super record athena and chorus

Campagnolo has just made it a bit easier on cyclists losing sleep over whether to go with a compact or standard crankset.

Their new 52/36 EVO chainring options will be available only for their 11-speed ¬†groups: Super Record, Record Chorus and the carbon Athena in all four lengths (165, 170, 172.5 and 175). ¬†It’s an option for their 2013 groups, and they’re EPS compatible. Claimed weights for the cranksets with the new rings are 663g for Athena Carbon, 690g for Chorus, 650g less for Record, and 607g for Super Record.

They use Campy’s proprietary compact 110BCD, and the rings are called mid-compact and are retrofittable to any of these four Campy compact cranksets. Since 2011, Campy has stiffened up their chainrings in anticipation of their EPS group. Jerry Ott, Campy’s US Customer Service Manager, says the EPS front derailleur puts out 70% more force than their mechanical ones, so everything had to be made stiffer. Despite the gap, they says they’re designed to shift just as smoothly as the rest.

Still need more gearing? Shift through the break…

2013 Campagnolo new triple crankset for 10speed and 11speed Athena Centaur and Veloce groups

There used to be triple cranksets in all of the groups until the early 2000′s, then doubles took over by offering the same gear-inch range with wider range cassettes and standard and double cranksets.

Ott says there’s still a huge demand for triples, so they’re introducing a new cassette and new line of triple cranksets. A 12-30 cassette is now on offer and requires a long-cage rear derailleur. What’s impressive is that these new triples, which are available in Athena, Centaur and Veloce in 52/39/30 combos, have some 11-speed compatibility. Yes, this means you can now run a 1:1 gear ratio using the 30 chainring shifted to the 30T cog.

Campy also says these new triples have “the best U and Q factors” in their class, but no technical specs have been released yet. Shifting speed and precision is said to be on par with their doubles. They’ll require a new front derailleur, but will work with existing 10- or 11-speed chains and rear derailleurs.

Another new tidbit buried in their PR is this: They’re introducing their first ultralight hollow alloy crank arms with these new triples. Until now, Campy has offered hollow carbon (Record, Super Record) and solid carbon (Athena, Chorus) and solid alloy (others). Ott says going from their solid alloy cranks to their carbon ones, you could drop half to one full pound. Now, that weight difference is being minimized while offering consumers a more affordable option.

2013 Campagnolo Wide Range cassettes sprockets offer easier gearing

Two new Centaur cassettes have been given a complete redesign. The cogs get new machined tooth profiles and the cog synchronization (relative tooth position between cogs) now mirrors their top end groups. Campy says combined with the Teflon coated Centaur chain and special surface hardening treatment on the cassette, the new sprockets are quieter and more durable.

Options are:
12-27: 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-27 (268g)
12-30: 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27-30 (300g)

Comments

Mo - 05/15/12 - 12:07pm

Anyone know whether the new triples will be square taper or Ultra Torque?

Champs - 05/15/12 - 1:08pm

The world would not shed a tear if there was never another consumer 130/135 crank. Nine out of ten amateur TT riders wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between BCDs even with a 54t chainring, much less the 52/36 consumer.

Condor - 05/15/12 - 1:35pm

when will the chainrings be available? I have both standard and compact cranks and have been looking for campy compatible 52-36 rings recently. Best of both worlds.

Robert - 05/15/12 - 2:41pm

@Mo – According to the triple specifications table above, the new triples will be the same Power Torque type as current Veloce/Centaur/Athena cranks, i.e. neither square taper nor Ultra Torque.

It would have been great to see a picture of the new triple cranks.

Mo - 05/15/12 - 2:58pm

@Robert. . . wow, I COMPLETELY overlooked that. . . thanks!

Tyler (Editor) - 05/15/12 - 3:30pm

All – pictures aren’t up on their press site yet, and full tech specs other than what’s shown here haven’t been released to us. Yet. More as we get it…we’re pretty pumped to see the new triples, too, as well as the weight comparisons.

Scott - 05/15/12 - 6:31pm

The phrase “performance triple” makes me want to barf. This isn’t mountain bike stuff.

Jonathan Stanley - 05/16/12 - 2:25am

Performance 3×11 triples for road tandems, when grinding up those >15% gradients! Pity won’t see an EPS front mech which will work with a triple for a very long time… :(

WV Cycling - 05/16/12 - 8:36am

I totally embrace our 52/36 overlords!

Pancakes - 05/16/12 - 10:04am

Big ups 52×36. For more, it seems like compact double still makes more sense than triple. High end road tandems seem like a niche market (no offense intended), but the market wants what it wants.

razmaspaz - 05/16/12 - 10:27am

This is cool, but who are these people who want 11sp campy on their bike, and can’t live without a triple (3×11)? I would like to meet them.

MuMu - 05/16/12 - 2:35pm

Campy 11 speed loaded touring bike?!? Yes, please…

Robert - 05/16/12 - 4:17pm

@razmaspaz – I would love to get 3X11 Campy on my brevet bike (currently 3X9). I have always preferred a close ratio triple to a compact double. At medium road pace with a compact double, most of the gears you want are either at the top end of the cassette in the little ring, or at the bottom end in the big ring. With a triple, you can stay in the middle ring most of the time. The granny is a necessity for steep climbs late in a multi-hundred mile ride, and the big ring is handy for those occasional Midwest tailwinds.

Ed - 05/17/12 - 5:36pm

This is really interesting, I have a Chorus 11 compact crankset, the Version1 of the 11speed group, from 2009 or 2010, since then they’ve updated to a Version2, I wonder if these rings would work fine with my crankset… also I have a big investment in 12-25 cassettes on my wheelsets, this makes me wonder is that a good match for a 52/36 crankset?

Zack - 05/18/12 - 12:34pm

Ed, These rings should work fine with your crank, they did not change the crank spider at all rather they changed the rings and the mounting bolts them selves. The outer ring got smaller bolt holes and the bolts got a more chamfered head to fit better in the outer ring and now thread directly in to the inner ring this means they got rid of the nut behind the inner ring that the crank bolts thread in to , the inner ring got threaded bolt holes but other than that stayed the same for the most part. Basically if you want to use these rings all you need is the 2011 or newer chaining bolts from Campagnolo. Also that 12-25 and these rings are a great combo.

Ed - 05/22/12 - 9:43pm

Thanks Zach!

Mark - 05/23/12 - 12:10am

Any indication on what the bcd for the triple cranksets will be? Should we assume it’s the 135/74 of previous Campagnolo triples?

@ razmaspaz – I’m interested in an 11 speed triple purely because it’s now only 11 speed ergo levers that have ultrashift capability and sometimes I’d wonder if I could use a lower gear than a compact&12-29 allows.

Tad Craig - 07/25/12 - 4:37am

Aloha form Maui Hawaii:

So I have a Orbea Orca from 2008. Old Skool bike & I want to switch from Campy Record 10 sp to Campy 11sp EPS..

Currently I have a Campy 10sp 50/30 crank w Phill Wood Bottom Bracket…….. I would REALLY like to NOT replace the crank & have to spend the extra money for an 2013 Campy Record 50/34.

Please help me. Do I really have to buy a new crank OR can I use the one I own????

If the rings are NOT compatible, can I just replace the chainrings? Will New Skool rings work on my 2008 Campy crank?????

Many Mahalos for helping me spend ALL my money on my Campy addiction.

Aloha

Ted Burke - 11/26/12 - 10:38pm

The tooth count you have listed for the cogs on the new 10 speed Centaur cassette is incorrect. The correct count is: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 24, 27. This is verified on the Campagnolo website. Perfect spread for moderate climbing with a 53 / 39 crankset.

Ted Burke - 11/23/13 - 9:25pm

I need to correct myself. I bought the Centaur 12 to 27 cassette and the tooth count is: 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27. The two largest cogs are mounted on an alloy carrier, all the others are single cogs separated by plastic spacers. They advertise the steel cogs as being nickel-chrome plated, but the plating is flat silver rather than shiny chrome in appearance.