SABS Brake Pads Bring Anti-Lock Tech to your Bike

Have you ever grabbed too much front brake and flipped over the bars? I’m ashamed to admit I have, but it was largely because I was trying to learn how to ride a nosie. It was a painful experience and it’s one that I’ve seen many of my friends replicate on their first mountain bike rides.

A Canadian company, King Industry, has decided to put an end to the humiliation. Their new line up of brake pads set to be introduced over the course of this year uses a mechanical interface to prevent the wheel from locking up. As the wheel spins, the metal attachment vibrates, and jerks the brake pads free if the wheel locks.

Follow the link for more info and a video clip..

A standard set (two pads), will set you back $109 USD. Claimed weight is 160 grams. The pads are built by Japan Rubber Company and are said to withstand 8-16 months of regular use depending on rider loads. A replacement set will set you back $40.

Riders interested in this tech will benefit most from replacing their front brake.  Currently, only v-brake pads are available for sale, but other pads will be released next month. King Industries plans on releasing disc brake pads in the future as well.

Shimano offers a product which provides a similar feature set at a much lower price for V-brakes. Their power modulator replaces the standard V-brake noodle and contains a spring. If you start to brake too hard, the cable guide absorbs the excess lever force, and creates an incredibly mushy feel.

I’ve never used either the Shimano Power Modulator or SABS brake pads but I can understand the appeal. I’ve encountered too many recreational cyclists and daily commuters who are afraid of their front brake.

Comments

walter - 03/01/12 - 9:21am

video is useless, shows nothing about the anti-lock actuation actually working!

gtavares - 03/01/12 - 9:22am

That´s cool….It works for road or just bikes with vbreaks ?

joby - 03/01/12 - 10:51am

Answer to a question no one was really asking…

Topmounter - 03/01/12 - 11:01am

That would be impressive if the road were icy. Or if it was a road bike w/ 700×18 slicks and they randomly disabled the rear brake.

Justin - 03/01/12 - 11:44am

They don’t even use anti-lock brakes in Moto GP, so why the hell does someone think they are needed on a bicycle…

AlexK. - 03/01/12 - 11:55am

Because MotoGP has trained riders, unlike your average cyclist. That being said – I agree completely. Learning not to grab your front brake in an emergency stop is part of learning how to ride a bicycle.

gee - 03/01/12 - 12:14pm

brakes don’t win races…who wants someone with better brakes in front of them in an emergency?….

mountguitars - 03/01/12 - 12:21pm

this would be ideal for kids and bike commuters who don’t know sh!t about bikes and brakes.

Steve M - 03/01/12 - 12:30pm

Those guys are going to spend far to much time defending themselves in court. Everytime someone hits the ground with these installed they are going to blame the manufacturer. Much better to let the rider hurt themselves on their own.

Nivlac - 03/01/12 - 1:22pm

In china, the double yellow is just a suggestion.

jim - 03/01/12 - 1:33pm

Isn’t April Fools on the 1st of next month? Oh, and can i have my 3 minutes back.

Mindless - 03/01/12 - 1:40pm

That is one of the main reasons good hydraulic disk brakes are superior – MODULATION.

Doug B - 03/01/12 - 2:28pm

Can we force them on riders who ride their back brakes and screw up the trails? :O)

Robin - 03/01/12 - 3:19pm

The video gives no information other than the rider appeared to remain in upright in the video and was traveling at some non-zero speed. So?

erik - 03/01/12 - 4:48pm

and they also decided to include a shot of the brake cable qr unhooked at the caliper lol

Specialized Rider - 03/01/12 - 5:08pm

gee- Brakes DO win races… go race without brakes and see how you rank…

these are a silly idea, but people will buy them, the power modulators are on tons of late model bikes…

monstar - 03/15/12 - 9:25pm

I am a Taiwanese, I bought this and use it for almost 1 year, it really works!!!

This product was innovate by Taiwanese, all mechanical structure, no battery, oil, air force needed.

Per I know, this SABS will generate the braking frequency by itself very quickly.
I install it on my front wheel to slam the front brake while riding, I didn’t overturn. Then I try to brake front brake to let rear wheel titled, but I can’t.

It is amazing!! I can say this is the greatest innovation of bicycle part in 21 century. So, I bought another one to install on the rear wheel.

Everyone should buy one to avoid some damage due to emergency.