Garmin Vector Pedal-Based Power Meter Delayed Until Summer

garmin vector pedal power meter system delayed

Garmin’s Vector pedal-based power measurement system is still coming, but it’s now delayed until summer. They’re being light on details other than to say they want to system to be as robust as possible when it hits shelves. Originally slated for a March release, the set up will retail for $1,499 (pedals + transmitter). Their official statement is:

“As with any Garmin product it is always our attempt to ensure that it meets the highest standard of quality—such is the case with Vector. In doing so, it has taken longer than expected. We are 100% committed to bringing this highly anticipated power meter to cycling shops around the world and will be doing so this summer.”

Full details on the Vector here.

Comments

Brandon - 02/16/12 - 5:33pm

Shocking. This is the first delay, right? No?

WV Cycling - 02/16/12 - 5:45pm

I’m still perplexed by the price, but I still know it’s cheaper than other power meters… :(

Can I just get one of the pedals and cut the price in half? :P

Steve M - 02/16/12 - 6:33pm

That hangy down thangy sure looks vulnerable- based on my personal ride.

WV Cycling - 02/16/12 - 7:08pm

@Steve M:

Pedal Strikes?

Robin - 02/16/12 - 8:19pm

Yeah, you’ll get pedal strikes……..if you can achieve an lean angle on the order of 45-47°………..which you can’t.

Better to delay and release the product when it’s right than to release a flawed product.

Knuckler - 02/16/12 - 10:50pm

Man, I’ve been waiting for these forever. Now it’s delayed till summer. How am I ever going to be able to ride if they keep me waiting like this?

Robin - 02/17/12 - 1:14am

Elsewhere it was mentioned that there is some sort of “recall” happening with Look/Polar pedals? Any word on that?

spokejunky - 02/17/12 - 8:15am

@Robin According to DCRainmaker Polar is recalling the pedal systems to upgrade the firmware. There is no direct method to flash the firmware on the units so they have to recall them to the factory. “…that the only folks that in theory should have the pedals are some distributors/retail shops for test/demo, various sales folks for product training, internal & external test/beta teams, a few Pro Team riders, and some media folks. There may be an odd consumer that somehow had a unit slip into their hands – but no orders have been officially fulfilled.”

Brattercakes - 02/17/12 - 9:33am

I don’t think you’ll get pedal strikes. The transmitters will be parallel with the road at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

Jose - 02/17/12 - 10:20am

Buy the time this thing hits the market, Planetbike will be putting Power Meters in blinky lights for $25.00

RUSTYDOGG - 02/17/12 - 2:25pm

Summer is right around the corner. I won’t hold my breath for it. I’ll buy one, price is fair.
Kills me how the Polar system is not ANT compatible. Why would they do that?

Louis - 02/17/12 - 3:57pm

Late and overpriced.

WV Cycling - 02/17/12 - 5:15pm

With both look and garmin putting these out, you think a third competitor will reverse engineer these, and make then for under $1000.