First Look! Niner Unveils Extra Small EMD9 29er Hardtail
Set to unveil officially tomorrow, our friends at Niner Bikes gave us the exclusive first look at something big. Err, small, actually.
The recently released new EMD9 hardtail is their first bike to come in an XS (Extra Small) size, something one of their shorter employees has been pushing for a while. By the numbers, it’s:
- 22.5” toptube (over 1/2” shorter than the small)
- 14” seattube length (1–1/2” shorter than the small)
- 3.9” headtube (3/32” shorter than the small)
- Recommended height range 5’0” to 5’5” (minimum height varies based on standover/rider inseam)
- 27” standover, (1–1/4” lower than the small)
Like their other sizes and models, Niner kept the important bits of the geometry intact. They claim there’s no toe overlap, no seatstay bridge to hinder tire clearance and no limits on water bottle fit inside the front triangle. In fact, they even say the large 24oz Polar bottle will fit just fine!
The EMD9 is built around an 80mm to 100mm fork. They recommend running a short stem paired with a wide bar to give it the best handling. Conveniently, they also offer a wide, flat bar. (Bike shown here is not the XS, just shown as a full build example.)
If you’re looking for a 29er mountain bike for short riders, check out Niner’s website this Friday for the scoop.