Road to NAHBS 2012 – Reynold Yip of Yipsan Cycles

Reynold Yip Yipsan Cycles NAHBS 2012 custom bicycle teaser preview

Reynold Yip’s won the People’s Choice award at NAHBS 2010 and his 2011 collection saw a very nice Rambler and Big Mountain bike grace the show floor. For 2012, he’s bringing a show version of the 650b randonneur bike, like what you see here, and some retro-inspired cruisers. Until then, here’s a peek at what Yipsan Cycles been working on recently…

BIKERUMOR: What have you been working in since NAHBS last year?
REYNOLD: Lots of all road bikes and some city bikes.

BIKERUMOR: Any killer custom bike builds?
REYNOLD: I am quite happy how this bike came together, a 650b randonneur with integrated fender and lighting ready for any long rides on almost any terrain. A very wide gear range to allow my customer the possible need for steep climbs after a long day.

Reynold Yip Yipsan Cycles NAHBS 2012 custom bicycle teaser preview

Reynold Yip Yipsan Cycles NAHBS 2012 custom bicycle teaser preview Reynold Yip Yipsan Cycles NAHBS 2012 custom bicycle teaser preview

BIKERUMOR: Did you see anything last year that’s inspired you?
REYNOLD: I do not recall a particularly impressive bike last year, but a bike that was built by Keith Anderson during NAHBS 2009 was very impressive and has kept me thinking about it every now and again.

BIKERUMOR: Can you give us a teaser of what your bringing to NAHBS 2012?
REYNOLD: I will be bringing a couple of bikes that are staples to my builds, a 650b randonneur / light tourer and a city bike. Plus, a bike inspired by my father and the bikes I rode when I was young.

BIKERUMOR: If you had to race all the other builders, who would you want to inch out for the win right at the line?
REYNOLD: I don’t know, I do not race. But I would like to ride along Doug White of White Industries, who used to build bikes, and is very supportive of us small shops building custom, made to measure bicycles

Reynold Yip Yipsan Cycles NAHBS 2012 custom bicycle teaser preview

Comments

Cheewai Yip - 01/23/12 - 11:21am

are the water bottle cages set upside down?

Peter Haile - 01/23/12 - 11:41am

Renold,

I am in the process of turning the beautiful cross bike you made into an barn storming country road destroyer.

I wholeheartedly have enjoyed every Yipsan I’ve had the pleasure to own. Renold is one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet and will deliver a customer with a fantastic well-thought-out bike that is made with care.

All the best,

Peter Haile

Banner Elk, NC (formerly Fort Collins, CO)

Kurt the Mechanic - 01/23/12 - 12:12pm

The water bottle cages are mounted correcty. They just look a little differnt kind of like the the Delta stainless cages.

This is a beautiful bike. The paint choice is awesome. Does anyone know what kind of handlebar bag that is?

dgaddis - 01/23/12 - 12:28pm

@Cheewai Yip: No. You can see the bit that keps the bottle from falling out on the bottom.

Renold Yip - 01/23/12 - 1:56pm

Thanks Peter, send me some pics!

Kurt, the handlebar bag is made by Watanabe with a feature at the bottom to hook together with the front rack that I made, with this feature, no decaleur is needed. This is a revived designed that Alex Singer used to do.

Yes, the bottle cages are mounted right, they are stainless steel cages made by King Cage with my brand incorporated.

Thanks all.

mellow - 01/23/12 - 11:43pm

Hehe, is that an xtr mech and ultegra crank ? :)

Renold Yip - 01/25/12 - 1:07pm

yes, it is. Super wide range for this customer. Triple road crank with mtb cassette.