Found: Derringer Cycles Bespoke Motorized Bicycles

Derringer Cycle bespoke gasoline engine powered bicycle moped

Using a 49cc engine and pedals, the Derringer Cycle’s bikes may just qualify as a moped for your locale, but they definitely qualify as beautiful.

Built custom for the buyer, each Derringer can be as unique as you want, including custom Brooks leather accessories and bags. Motorized bikes start at about $3,500. We’d tell you more, but they’re apparently all on holiday already. Click through for more pics, check out a non-motorized singlespeed here and try to win one here.

Derringer Cycle bespoke gasoline engine powered bicycle moped

Derringer Cycle bespoke gasoline engine powered bicycle moped

Derringer Cycle bespoke gasoline engine powered bicycle moped

Derringer Cycle bespoke gasoline engine powered bicycle moped

Comments

Matt - 12/20/11 - 2:27pm

If it belches smoke, then it doesn’t belong here.

Andy - 12/20/11 - 2:33pm

Would ride one of these to work in a heart beat. Very hot.

Alan M. - 12/20/11 - 5:28pm

Alright, you smokers heard it from Matt. You aren’t allowed on this site anymore.

Shmendrick - 12/20/11 - 5:57pm

I wonder what sort of feller you’d see riding one of these?
It looks like a steampunk moped for a hipster douchebag that can’t quite pedal a fixie.

Max Radcliffe - 12/20/11 - 6:10pm

Even though I’m not much interested in motorized bicycles, these are darned good lookin’, and I’m happy to see them here. As for the “no internal combustion engines” crowd, cave in on this one and next thing you know, they won’t let you review roof racks because someone night put one on a car.

Besides, the very name DERRINGER CYCLES is so cool I can hardly stand it.

A name like that should come into town riding a fire-breathing velociraptor and equipped with a chainsaw made of lightsabers or something. We mortals must averteth our eyes as we stand transfixed in awe of its awesome awesomeness.

fatboybiker78 - 12/20/11 - 7:25pm

To all you motor hating junkies.. get a life it’s got pedals too. As for Max, man lay of the caffine and get out in the sun a little more. I think the fanatsy wolrd has taken up a little too much space in your brain. Seriously a chainsaw made of lightsabers…. these are gorgeous cafe racer designs and i’d gladly spend the 3k or so to own one of these bad boys before purchasing a carbon frame for that amount.

Gillis - 12/20/11 - 9:28pm

for that much I’d rather get a real motorcycle.

these might look kinda cool, but I know if I saw one being ridden I’d probably laugh.

CruzSS - 12/21/11 - 12:41am

Stinky, noisy and ridden by DB’s for sure here in Santa Cruz

Cam - 12/21/11 - 1:24am

49cc motor?? I’d at least swap in a 1,000cc. That should get ‘er going.

nplus1bikes - 12/21/11 - 7:45am

An elegant design that begs for an electric version.

Shredder - 12/21/11 - 8:32am

While these look kinda cool, I’d love to see one in person to judge the quality of them. They obviously spent about $1.50 on the crank and pedals, and the frame and forks look like cheap Walmart quality cruisers from these pics. Slap on a Chinese knockoff motor, a Roland Sands replica tank, lay the bars down, give it the Brooks saddle and colored spokes, and voila, you’ve got a $3500 hipster board track replica special. It says custom made for the buyer, and their website shows a guy “building” one there (I’m sure they mean assembling), but I think the custom part is the color and the add ons. Aside from the Brooks stuff, it looks like low end junk all prettied up. Just my opinion though, yours is free to vary. :-)

jaas - 12/21/11 - 11:06am

there are some rock-a-billy guys in my neighborhood that have mated old beach cruisers with various types of small motors….pretty bad ass. i dont know about buying an expensive one though

MikeMac - 12/21/11 - 11:56am

Stunning (and I’m not just talking about the sanctimony in some of the posts…although that’s stunning in a different way.)

Way to go, Derringer Cycles. Something new, unique and flat out gorgeous brought into the world.

Breck MF Epic

Robin - 12/21/11 - 2:25pm

No thanks. It’s a lot cheaper to just buy gas, mix it with 2 stroke oil, and then spray it on the ground.

Jimmy - 12/21/11 - 2:40pm

Shredder got it. Cheap $100 china kit engine, a rag joint fabric sprocket adapter that bolts to the SPOKES fer cryin’ out loud. They don’t even swap out the flimsy kit chain tensioner that’ll suck a chain right into a wheel seizure. $3500? Sure for those with more money than brains and don’t plan on really riding it, lol

Andy - 12/21/11 - 9:08pm

No mudguards?

Topmounter - 12/21/11 - 11:30pm

Nothing “new” here, it’s a throwback to the days of Whizzer motors mounted on Schwinn cruisers. Looks neat sitting still, but that’s about it.

Will - 12/22/11 - 12:07pm

I must be missing something…where are the brakes? I see some cable running down to the front wheel but no disc. Nothing at the back wheel either. Somebody clue me in…

Furious George - 12/22/11 - 2:24pm

Looks flexy.

sean - 03/19/12 - 5:06pm

hiya what make of engine is that????

jon - 05/11/13 - 2:17pm

They run a 4 stroke engine on those. Bet it gets 130 mpg.