Need Supply Co. x Carytown Bicycle Company Fashionable Fixie Collaboration

20111206-143713.jpg

Design boutique Need Supply Co. partnered with Virginia neighbor Carytown Bicycle Company to create a limited edition fixed gear city bike fashionable enough to get a shout out from GQ.

Need’s designer Gabe Ricioppo partnered with frame builder Tim Mullen of CBC to create this urban machine. Built on an All City Big Block track frame, which is designed to work equally well on the boards or your backstreets, CBC added bits from Velo Orange, Cane Creek, Continental, Regal and others as much for their looks as their performance.

Price is $2,450, available at needsupply.com.

20111206-143440.jpg

20111206-143520.jpg

Comments

nick - 12/06/11 - 2:45pm

so why is this bike $2,450

Steve - 12/06/11 - 2:58pm

Is that guy the anti hipster?

AndYourMother - 12/06/11 - 3:11pm

@Steve
Worse, he’s a fakerjack

Diablo - 12/06/11 - 3:23pm

Haters gonna hate, show RVA some love!

anon - 12/06/11 - 3:24pm

Didn’t this whole hipster scene die like 3yrs ago?

Brandon - 12/06/11 - 3:29pm

So you can go to your LBS and buy this exact bike in a stock scheme for about $1200, OR, go to these guys and pay twice that? Um, yeah….

Superstantial - 12/06/11 - 3:38pm

This is the new fake-lumberjack thing. Like those Best Made Co. axes that cost twice as much as the exact same thing from Garret Wade. Still unclear why fake lumberjacks need to ride fixed gears . . .

I guess someone needs to keep the economy moving, might as well be well-endowed (with a trust fund) hipsters.

bro montana - 12/06/11 - 3:40pm

ahhh need supply co. selling overpriced sh** to hipsters for years!

Gillis - 12/06/11 - 4:04pm

Its a bike. Like it or don’t. Leave the hate at home.

(I’m only amused that he changed shoes to ride the bike.)

Danno - 12/06/11 - 4:07pm

“…equally as well on the boards” I’ll keep an eye out for these in the velodromes of the world. And I think that guy just spritzed cologne on me when I was Christmas shopping at Macy’s

Huffman - 12/06/11 - 4:25pm

For that kind of coinage it should come with a belt drive to keep hipster jeans lube free.

notapro - 12/06/11 - 4:53pm

did i read “leave the hate @ home”? jeesh..if you roll up you gotta ride out, hipster.

Erich - 12/06/11 - 5:32pm

These are the sort of fluff articles that I do wish the bikerumor folks would exercise a little editorial control over. I understand that all blogs and sites get or find these sorts of press releases on a regular basis, but I would love it if you, the staff, would take a written stance on these somewhat comedic sales pitches, or simply not pass them along. Not even offering a peep one way or the other on a bike that is about $1000 more expensive than it should be seems, to me, to be tacit approval for this sort of product and practice.

I know it’s your site and you’re welcome to do with it as you please, but I think it’d be nicer for the readers if you could give some context as to why you chose to run an item. I like your reviews and I love your spy work and forthcoming product info, but stuff like this just really irks me.

Taylor - 12/06/11 - 6:09pm

Please please please stick to the content that we come to this site for. Not for crap like this. Running “articles” like this does nothing for the industry.

Philip - 12/06/11 - 6:49pm

“At the beginning of the project, Ricioppo didn’t know jack about bikes, and Mullins and his team weren’t exactly fashionably-inclined.”

From the GQ article. All you need to know.

Speedy - 12/06/11 - 7:12pm

OMG! I REALLY wish dude was riding in socks and sandals. It would complete the look.

Martin - 12/06/11 - 8:13pm

You all get this completely wrong. First of all, this is not just a pedestrian (p.i.) paint job, but a colorway. colorways cost much more to produce than paint schemes. Same is for the parts – on the surface, they look like cheap & standard bike stuff, but you have to factor in that they are totally hand-curated. Curation is a very high intensity mental and physical process that consumes a lot of energy and time – time of a designer-dude, and gosh these folk don’t work for cheap! All in all, I can totally see that this is quite a bargain, all things considered.

Jim - 12/06/11 - 9:21pm

Martin,
Are you channeling Bikesnob?

Topmounter - 12/06/11 - 9:44pm

In the third picture, you can see his panty-line.

call420 - 12/06/11 - 9:46pm

i’m with erich on this. the only redeeming quality of these things is the comments, and that sauce is weak

Ben - 12/07/11 - 8:50am

I know I’ll get sh*t on for saying this but…Bike exposure in an unforeseen place? I guess that works…who really cares if it is some materialistic fashion mag. The people that read this mag have money too which could help drive the bicycling industry. Maybe they will be influenced to use a bicycle, or actially be more aware of cyclists, maybe even vote for certain bills/laws that involve cycling after seeing these photos. I haven’t heard of any one busting popular mechanics for publishing some whacked out looking future bicycle photos.

Brandon - 12/07/11 - 10:04am

@Martin: LOL! Do you do marketing consulting? I have some leftover snake oil I need to move F-A-S-T!

phlat albert - 12/07/11 - 10:56am

i believe the quote goes like this.. ” if you’re in advertising or marketing go kill yourself right now”

Mr. P - 12/07/11 - 11:03am

I wade through the sea of hate and say I like the color moves; the black frame/fork tips look good, and the semi gloss grey with the polished bits looks very nice.

Re: fashion haters; have you seen what you wear when your on a bike? Odd that we would judge others. Go ahead, dust off that Rock Racing jersey for your next ride. Or maybe your feeling more Primal…

P

mrorange - 12/07/11 - 12:21pm

might you be floating on a GQ trendy fashion raft on this judgemental sea of hate then, mr.p? anything creative is judged instantly by whoever, whenever, for whatever.

Chunky - 12/07/11 - 1:43pm

wow, really pushing the envelope… great too see new original ideas….

bikethief - 12/07/11 - 2:15pm

It looks like an excellent hunting bike.

the truth - 12/07/11 - 4:37pm

come on guys it has J&B house brand Origin 8 pedals they are like $9.99 wholesale

AnonFG - 12/07/11 - 6:51pm

You guys better be nice. That guy grows up to be Santa.

uglyyeti - 12/08/11 - 2:41pm

@ the truth – that’s “Jacques and Ben” brand. Sounds much more eloquent when you use the whole name.

Louis - 12/09/11 - 10:58am

Is the faux lumberjack stupid? Yes. Is this $2000+ steel fixie stupid? Yes. Is this article stupid? No.

Unlike most other commenters, I am all for the explosion of bike culture whether it is commuters on hybrids, hipsters on fixies, or the lycra clad weekend warriors.

So, I say bring it on bikerumor. I love these stories. As for my comment on this article, I think the bike looks good. It definitely fits in need supply’s aesthetic. However, the only decent part of the hipster fixie culture is that it originally had a lot of people that customized their bikes. This is for someone with a trust fund that can’t be bothered to actually create an interesting fixie, they just want to look the part.

Sevo - 12/12/11 - 11:41am

This is why such “designers” shouldn’t be allowed to touch bikes. Ever notice it always turns out pretty awful? Also shows a lot of these “designers” are not really designers, products of hype in their given industry…yet when they leave it how good they really are shows.