Gallery: 2012 Pinarello Road, Commuter and Time Trial Bikes

2012 Pinarello Dogma carbon fiber road bike

For 2012, Pinarello revamped a number of their high end bikes to be Di2 compatible with internal wiring and, in some cases, hidden battery compartments. They’ve got a full range of road, commuter and time trial bikes on hand.

Above is the top-tier Dogma with its asymmetric frame and internal brake routing, too. This is likely the bike that Mark Cavendish is gonna have to get used too pretty soon…

UPDATE: Their Graal TT bike added at bottom of post.

2012 Pinarello Dogma carbon fiber road bike

2012 Pinarello Dogma carbon fiber road bike

2012 Pinarello Dogma carbon fiber road bike

2012 Pinarello Rokh long distance century ride road bike

The ROKH is one of their only carbon frames without the ONDA shaped stays that have become trademark Pinarello. Instead, it has inward curved stays that offer a bit more comfort, making it their century/long-distance bike. Pinarello isn’t known for lightweight, and this ones frame comes in at about 1250g…about what my 2007 F4:13 weighs.

2012 Pinarello Rokh long distance century ride road bike

2012 Pinarello Paris carbon fiber road bike

The Prince Paris remains near the top of their heap.

2012 Pinarello Opera road bike

Opera is a separate company from Pinarello that they’ve used to build with alternate materials from companies other than their regular tube suppliers. This one’s the Super Leonardo and is made of 50HM1K Torayca carbon fiber. Fork is from the same material with a 1-1/8″ to 1-1/4″ tapered steerer. Frame weight is 1050g.

2012 Pinarello giro d italia pink edition road bike

They also had a special Giro d’Italia Pink edition Dogma.

2012 Pinarello FP Due carbon road bike

The FP Due is their entry level carbon fiber frame that still has the ONDA shaped stays and fork.

2012 Pinarello FP Uno alloy road bike

The FP Uno is an alloy framed bike below the Due. It comes as a complete bike with Shimano Tiagra and, even at this level, gets an asymmetric frame and fork.

2012 Pinarello Only the Brave commuter bicycle

The Only The Brave commuter bike is a collaboration with Diesel.

2012 Pinarello catena steel commuter bicycle

The Catena (Steel Chain) single speed bike comes in flat bar and drop bar variants.

2012 Pinarello lungavita alloy single speed track bike commuter bicycle

The LungaVita is an alloy track bike-style fixed gear street bike.

2012 Pinarello Graal time trial triathlon road bike

The Graal (Italian for Grail) is their time trial race bike. They used CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) to create a bike that minimized drag by comparing its effect on individual tubes and sections as well as the whole bike.

2012 Pinarello Graal time trial triathlon road bike

The most striking feature is the 3D reliefs on the downtube, but it also has an integrated stem/handlebar with full internal cable and wire routing through the bull horns and tops. The frame is made in a standard and Di2 specific version, the latter with a hidden battery compartment, and it comes in five sizes…a pretty good range for TT bikes.

2012 Pinarello Graal time trial triathlon road bike

Comments

Uri - 10/25/11 - 9:08am

I thought Opera was dead, at least in the US market. Is it available (here) again?

Mick - 10/25/11 - 11:26am

No Prince in the 2012 lineup, that’s a pic of the Paris…

Maple Leafs - 10/25/11 - 11:43am

So, can someone please explain to me what the advantages are with those curvy frames?
Sorry, but I’m a late comer.

Juan C - 10/25/11 - 2:22pm

@Maple Leafs- those curves go better with your white kit

Whatever - 10/25/11 - 2:28pm

Overpriced, heavy, crap. Unless you are a fat lawyer, you can do so much better. Although the old Prince of Spain paint was quite lustful.

Steve M - 10/25/11 - 6:24pm

The straightest distance between two points is a curved line……

Brandon - 10/25/11 - 7:44pm

The sensible side of me reads how heavy Pina’s are and how much they cost and scoffs. But when I look at them I still want one. Luckily my sensible side holds my wallet.

Tyler (Editor) - 10/25/11 - 9:02pm

ML – The curves smooth out the ride, or at least that’s been my experience. I’ve owned a Pinarello for over four years now and really like the ride. My frame’s 1200g+ and it’s still built down to 15lbs15oz with SRAM Red and Stan’s road tubeless wheels but otherwise not incredibly light parts. Well, Feather Brakes, but it’s still running the stock MOST seat post.

Uri – not sure, I’ll see what we can dig up. Pinarello’s all run through Gita for the U.S.

Robin - 10/25/11 - 9:20pm

“The curves smooth out the ride….” Ah, yes. The old human sensor, known for being wildly inaccurate and heavily biased by any number of things, including the bright, glossy ads that are in the magazines.

Until Pina provides data that’s repeatable by anyone else, I’ll put their claims in the “marketing BS” can.

Maple Leafs - 10/25/11 - 9:20pm

Tyler,
Q about Stan’s tubeless road wheelset.
I’m going to have my lbs build up a set. What set of tires do you recommend to put on?
Also, what’s the pressure limit with Stan’s road wheelset?

Gillis - 10/25/11 - 9:55pm

I always thought the Pina’s with the curvy shapes were kinda cool. It harkens back to the days when names and logos weren’t allowed on frames, so builders would make the frame distinguishable by its shape (see: Hetchins).

Tyler (Editor) - 10/25/11 - 9:58pm

Robin, I’ve ridden a lot of bikes. I happen to like the way my Pinarello feels and, though it’s getting a bit old, it’s quite comfortable yet plenty fast. Anyone can take or leave my opinion and the opinions of any other editor at any other magazine or website of any kind. If you want only empirical data based strictly on mechanical testing, look at the German Bike magazine. They prove which bikes and parts are the lightest and stiffest. Does that tell you anything about how it’ll ride? Absolutely not. Do you listen to your friends and peers when evaluating purchase decisions? Most people do, and that’s all any of us are offering. Take it or leave it.

ML – I’ve been running Bontragers on them and haven’t had any problems, and Nick is working up a review on a set of Hutchinson tubeless road tires, though I’m not sure what wheels he’s running. Off hand, I don’t know max pressure, but that defeats the purpose of running tubeless. I used to run 110 to 120, but only put 100psi in with tubeless (I weigh about 180 at present) and it feels *gasp – FEELS!* fantastic. Great traction, smooths out the road buzz and virtually eliminates any worry of flatting…and there’s no apparent loss of efficiency at the lower PSI. My hunch is you’ll love them.

Gillis - 10/25/11 - 10:04pm

Thank you Tyler, a much more eloquent retort than I had in mind.

Maple Leafs - 10/26/11 - 12:09pm

One more question Tyler, if you don’t mind.
I’ve been trying to look for a pair of feather brakes, but they are very, very hard to find.
I also went to their website before, and they didn’t sell them.
Are they out of business? If not, where could I find them?

Steve M - 10/26/11 - 4:36pm

Curved tubes will naturally flex as long as you dont exceed the buckling load. A straight tube will be lighter- both in distance and material to compensate for the moments induced by the variation from the neutral axis of the tube. What is more important is the real deflections of axles in relation to the saddle. Unless you placed a frame into a fixture with the axles supported and placed a load on a rigid mount at the saddle to measure the deflection- it is all feel and marketing.
I would venture the actual deflection under load of the frame is lost in the scatter of your chamois, gel saddle, bar tape, and most importantly, the psi in the tires.

Ryan - 10/26/11 - 8:03pm

Hey Tyler,
The title of this post says “time trial bikes”, unfortunately I’m not seeing any!
Is there something my browser can’t display? Please rectify this!! Would gladly love to see the Pinarello time trial bikes!
Thanks!!

Tyler (Editor) - 10/29/11 - 1:19pm

ML – Don’t know. My last few calls to them over quite a span of time have gone unanswered.

Ryan – TT bike was added, sorry ’bout that!