Found! Blue steel Ashima rotor bolts

When my workshop was broken into this spring, the thieving theivers decided to take (among other things) a mint tin full of rotor bolts.  Why?  I can’t say- but it’s been awfully hard to put rotors on wheels without any.  Looking to replace them on a well-known auction site, I stumbled across Ashima’s blue steel rotor bolts.  Click through for more details…

Though I know that many people have successfully run aluminum rotor bolts, steel really does seem a whole lot more sensible.  At $10.35 for two wheels’ worth (shipped from Taiwan), the Ashimas are priced about the same as other steel bolts.  But they’re bluer.

www.ashima.com.tw

stores.ebay.com/superbicycle-shop

Comments

AndyD - 10/23/11 - 1:31pm

Good story, tell it again. I was hoping maybe you found your stolen rotor bolts on E-bay, that would have made for some quality entertainment.

Robin - 10/23/11 - 4:54pm

Wait. You had a hard time finding steel M5 x 10 button head bolts? Did you look all of three places, and were those places only in your house? Seriously? It appears that on a scale of 1 – 10, your effort to find such bolts was about 0.1.

Was the real problem a lack of desire to engage in movement? To have to get up from your chair? Why is this even a story?

tim o - 10/23/11 - 5:53pm

@Robin: rough day? It’s gotta suck to be your dog.

Joshua Murdock - 10/23/11 - 6:13pm

I agree with Tim O.

I’m glad you posted this. I know what I’m replacing my rotor bolts with! Gotta get those little custom touches!

Joshua Murdock - 10/23/11 - 6:15pm

That looks like a Maverick Durance… what white rims are those on that Roval hub? Just a Roval rim?

efrain - 10/23/11 - 9:06pm

Any one know where i can get a set of blue screws for Avid BB7′s?

Marc - 10/23/11 - 11:10pm

Robin,

I thought that they were cool and they made me happy. I had no idea that they’d make you so, well, angry. Might be time for a ride.

Joshua,

You’re right on both counts- that’s ‘Zelda’ and the wheels were reviewed here: http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/08/25/initial-review-roval-control-trail-el-wheelset/

efrain,

These bolts should work with any 6-bolt hub.

Joshua Murdock - 10/23/11 - 11:52pm

Nice!

Androo - 10/24/11 - 9:44am

FWIW Robin, it’s pretty hard to get M5x10 Torx at your local hardware store…

Chris Richards - 10/24/11 - 11:59am

Those are just the ticket for my mojo – but I think you bought the last ones – red, black and gold are still available, but no blue :(

Robin - 10/25/11 - 8:46am

Fortunately, you can apply the same torque to a socket button head as you can to a torx button head. One may not be as pretty as the other, but they both work just as well.

Mikey - 10/26/11 - 12:08am

@ Robin…

do you mean hex or allen Socket button head??? cause Socket button head can refer to hex/allen, torx, etc…

Socket button head is kind of a generic term now-at-days…. also, while it is true that you can apply the same torque.. you’re far less likely to slip and strip the head of a torx than an allen.

Plus.. the hardware store doesn’t carry all those cool colors!

ANyways… more of the story… CHILL OUT!

Fred Zeppelin - 10/26/11 - 12:49am

Robin, If you’re going to be a know-it-all at least try to be right.

All else being equal, you absolutely can transmit more torque through a torx interface than a standard allen/hex interface.

Allen button head will strip faster due to deformation of the screw recess or the tool.

deanopatoni - 10/31/11 - 4:10pm

Thanks for the tip. I both some from these guys after reading your post. Just turned up today.
Looks like I got the last of the Blue ones :)