Video: Hard Time Storing Your Commmuter? Enter The Flipphandle Stem

Does your bike make you drop groceries? Then you need the Flipphandle, which allows you to turn the bars 90 degrees for storage, at the push of a button.

Comments

beck - 07/24/11 - 4:36pm

super dorky but i suppose not a bad idea for small hipster apartments.

busybus - 07/24/11 - 5:17pm

Looks like a must have for montague paratrooper or swissbike.

uglyyeti - 07/24/11 - 6:58pm

That’s clever. Not just for small hipster apartments – my family has a tangled mess of city bikes just inside our basement door. Seems like I endure a few kidney jabs every time I pull one of my bikes out. If this thing is sturdy and secure on the streets, I could see this on a few of our bikes. Not the road and mountain bikes, but the urban beaters that get pulled in and out a lot.

halfwheeled - 07/24/11 - 7:54pm

That’s a great looking bag of groceries!

h2ofuel - 07/24/11 - 10:36pm

I agree, this is not just for hipsters. It would be extremely useful, but whether it would be practical depends on the price.

topmounter - 07/24/11 - 11:39pm

That is a great idea for the townies.

Omar Shariff - 07/25/11 - 10:06am

Given that the MSRP on this is currently looking to be over $100 (based on a LinkedIn conversation about this), I doubt this is a viable option.

Cool, yes, convenient, seems like it…but I think the cost is prohibitive.

King County - 07/25/11 - 10:41am

Mongoose’s Subrosa commuter bike came stock with something like this for a while.

Joshua Murdock - 07/25/11 - 10:27pm

As long as it’s sturdy and safe… I think it’s an excellent idea.

Larry - 07/26/11 - 12:25pm

I have a $2 allen key that makes my bike do exactly the same thing.

Also, as a small hipster, I resent the idea that you think I live in an apartment.

Paul Rivers - 07/26/11 - 1:10pm

Other than the slightly cheesy video and high price, the concept at least looks really useful to me – it would be way easier to lean my mountain and winter bikes up against the garage wall (where I store them) if I could turn the handlebars to the side. There’s the “catching the handlebars on clothing as you go by” thing. But there’s also the thing where you have to lean the bike against the wall “just right” with handlebars or the front wheel starts rolling and the entire bike falls over (not a problem with roads bikes with their less-wide bars). With this thing I could lean the bike against the wall in a way, waaaaaaaaay more stable position.

susan - 08/27/11 - 6:07am

What a fabulous idea! I want one and it might seem a little pricey but how much does it cost to repaint because those F’ing handlebars constantly scrape and ding the walls?