Spy Shots! Limited Edition Eddy Merckx UMX Mexico Hour Record Track Bike

2012 Eddy Merckx UMX Mexico limited edition hour record anniversary track bike

The 2012 Eddy Merckx UMX Mexico is designed to celebrate Eddy’s 1972 hour record, which he set in Mexico City. It has the original Eddy Merckx colour scheme with World Championships, ‘Giro’ Pink and ‘Tour’ yellow banding on the seatstays and a 525 number plate to commemorate Eddy’s 525 professional victories.

The frame is not a replica, but a fully modern hand-built lugged frame and fork with Columbus Cromor tubes and fully customized spec, including a flip-flop rear fixed/freewheel hub. Only 20 will be available in the UK with an anticipated retail price around £1100. Available Spring 2012.

More pics after the break…

2012 Eddy Merckx UMX Mexico limited edition hour record anniversary track bike 2012 Eddy Merckx UMX Mexico limited edition hour record anniversary track bike

2012 Eddy Merckx UMX Mexico limited edition hour record anniversary track bike

Comments

Chris Jensen - 06/29/11 - 4:23pm

this is a g*d abomination and it needs to be killed

gp - 06/29/11 - 4:41pm

WTF? I was thinking it would be like… you know… the hour record bike, not some hipster s**t

Tommy Nickels - 06/29/11 - 4:54pm

I like how they used the exact same flat pedals, threadless headset, white rear triangle, powdercoated chain, deep-v clincher rims, white saddle, and bullhorn handlebars, and white 42-tooth crankset that Eddy Merckx used.

Joel - 06/29/11 - 5:17pm

You’re on notice, J&B!

jc - 06/29/11 - 6:21pm

Does it come with matching skinny jeans?

TONGA - 06/29/11 - 6:26pm

Wow, I am surprised Merckx has built such a piece of crap. That bike is lame!! Merckx has followed a fad that I had hoped they wouldn’t. I am sure we will see some trying to be sold on Ebay for $3000 very soon.

CBC - 06/29/11 - 8:35pm

gross

GMB - 06/29/11 - 9:08pm

brakes? got to slow down after pedaling your brains out for an hour non stop? FAIL.

Hayes - 06/29/11 - 10:33pm

Vertical dropouts and an eccentric BB? Am I seeing that right?

Also, that “Classic” brand crankset is a POS. I had it on my $380 Gavin Solo fg/ss.

Hayes - 06/29/11 - 10:34pm

the frame does looks pretty sharp though.

Mexican - 06/29/11 - 10:51pm

wow, what a way to dishonor such a legend. Complete with garbage Lasco cranks

Gillis - 06/30/11 - 12:14am

fail.

udder - 06/30/11 - 6:44am

This is a weak, overpriced product lacking in authenticity and weak, uncritical story. Come on BikeRumor chaps, you can do better than this.

Bomboora - 06/30/11 - 9:03am

It looks cool, I want one!!!

Kovas - 06/30/11 - 9:18am

@udder … … You know what they say, don’t mock the messenger.
Bikerumor does their job well, covering the full gamut – from the freshest Di2-adrenaline-laced-8oz-carbon-road-rocket hitting your pro shop … to the latest hipster crap hitting your coffee shop.

Atgani - 06/30/11 - 9:43am

Post delayed from 1st April?

What a p.o.s.

side - 06/30/11 - 9:47am

OK … it is indeed not the real stuff. Just a fake hipster fixie for fancy people who are not able to hand build their own bike …

BUT, it is a very nice bike and the frame looks awesome!!!
Won’t they bring out a frameset?

Erich - 06/30/11 - 10:53am

@Joel – You’re spot on. This should probably be called The 2012 Eddy Merckx UMX Mexico: Presented by Origin8.

Given the hilarious spec and eccentric BB, I wanted to write this off as an elaborate joke. However, seeing as it really exists, I’m just going to congratulate it for being uglier than that blinding Lungavita single speed Pinarello has been trying out this year. Well done, product managers at Merckx, you’ve truly outdone yourselves this time.

Also, isn’t Eddy Merckx still very much not dead? Does he not care that his record is being celebrated by releasing total garbage badged with his name? Perhaps it’s time for him to get in touch with his inner LeMond and get all wacked out on people using his name to sell product.

Blanket - 06/30/11 - 10:48pm

Blasphemy and ugliness aside, 1100 pounds!?! Seriously!?! That’s over $1,700 for anyone doing the math. For $1,700 you’d be better off spending it on so much PCP that you thought you were Eddie Merckx and then you wouldn’t need this terrible bike to begin with. I would, however, like to thank Bike Rumor for posting this up and being such good sports, not like they made the thing.

Mannuel - 07/01/11 - 11:29pm

I think we’re getting trolled here…

Skronglite - 07/02/11 - 2:20am

I spoke with Edward the other day while he was on the toilet. He said someone had been stealing his poop to make this exact bike.

J@EMC - 07/07/11 - 3:19am

All of you critics need to read this carefully.
First of all, this has been a wrong post from the beginning.
Because it is not called as mentioned, it is just called UMX-S and there is nothing Limited about it and there is nothing Mexico City hour breaking track about it.
This is just an urban bike that is unique, like all the other bikes from the range.
Regarding Eddy, you people think you know it all based on gossup and grapevine stuff, dead wrong. Eddy Is still very much active in the company, he bloody owns 50% of the R&D.
My advice, get your facts straight and to the fanatics on urban bikes, this is indeed not your best pick, but your are not the ones targetted.

Maxiton - 08/29/11 - 1:55am

@J@EMC So who are the ones targeted? These commenters are right, this is complete garbage. You can actually sleep at night, pushing worthless crap like this? What a joke.

Hamish - 08/09/12 - 11:26pm

My 2 year old does less moaning than you lot. Did I mention she’s 2?

Paul - 12/29/12 - 10:43pm

I like the way it looks and hear some are going to have the Rohloff hub on some. Can’t find any of them for sell in the united states. Price is high, but then again it’s a Merckx.

Joseph Tomasello - 03/07/13 - 7:35pm

Take two of these stick them up your ssa and call me in the morning

Eddy must be felling my pain

Paul - 08/02/13 - 3:02am

I purchased one of these UMX bikes and it rides great. Very smooth nice handling bike. Don’t knock the bike til you try it. I was pleasantly surprised.

Paul - 08/02/13 - 3:04am

I have been a cyclist for over 20 years and I own a few nice high end road bikes.