Cannondale Moves Into Helmets – Big Feature List for Little Coin
Cannondale surprised everyone at PressCamp with the introduction of their helmet line, but the best surprise is the long feature list and reasonably low weights for a small price.
Four helmets are offered, all with the following safety and comfort features:
- Internal nylon chassis to keep the EPS foam together during impact. This allows them to have larger vents for better cooling.
- SI Alloy Reinforcement Bridges are aluminum plates that span several vents under the shell in several locations to provide further exoskeleton reinforcement.
- Dual Density EPS foam, with firmer sections on the outer parts of primary impact areas of the front and occipital lobes (rear sides) that use a cone-shaped texture facing into the softer main EPS. Cannondale says this design disperses impacts throughout the shell better.
- Ponytail friendly rear micro adjust occipital lobe retention mechanism with a soft, water- and odor-proof padding that’s made from the same material as Crocs.
- Polycarbonate outer shell that’s fused with the EPS body to create a one-piece design.
More pics of each model, including a cutaway showing the internal webbing, and weights and pricing after the break…
Cannondale says the cones on the inner area of the firmer EPS sections help disperse the impact. The webbing is a bit hard to see in this photo, but it runs throughout the helmet to keep it from shattering apart. The shiny part is the alloy plates.
The pad is nice and squishy.
The Cannondale Teramo is their top end helmet. It weighs in at 245g (claimed average, medium) with 23 vents and a price of just $109.99. Color options include:
The Ryker is their XC mountain bike helmet and comes in five color options, all with color- and graphic-matched visors. Weight is 265g with visor and it retails for only $79.99.
The Radius is their urban / mountain bike helmet with a mix of gloss and matte color options, also with graphic-matched visors. Weight is 300g and price is $59.99.
The Quick is their basic all-purpose bicycle helmet that comes with a shorter visor and weighs in at 310g. Price is a mere $39.99.