Preview: Kona 2012 Roundabout Commuter

As mixte frames seem to be regaining popularity among female cyclists, those looking for a simple, and clean commuter should rejoice in the 2012 Kona Roundabout. Boasting a classic steel mixte frame, fenders, and an easy to use 1 x 9 drivetrain the Roundabout checks all the right boxes for a no nonsense, fun commuting bike.

Due to the classic mixte frame design, standover is obviously decreased but more importantly, the Roundabout should be easier to fit to a bike rack than many of the current drop bar frame designs on the market.

Check out a few more angles after the break!

The classic lines of the mixte frame.

The ample clearance for fenders and long reach brake calipers should allow for riders to fit larger tired if wanted, and the Roundabout features the braze-ons necessary for installing a rack.

Comments

dustin - 06/07/11 - 5:22pm

*WANT*
Just picked up an old Gitane mixte for my girlfriend and was thinking of either fixing that up the max or buying a new bike and not fix anything up. This could be my ticket…

burt - 06/07/11 - 7:09pm

Any idea on the price?

Gillis - 06/08/11 - 12:22am

I appreciate that Kona can produce cool bikes like this and kick-as race bikes at the same time. Kudos Kona, kudos

sly - 06/08/11 - 2:45am

I don’t know but it doesn’t seem to have much fender clearance, and that tire is skinny, not the best for commuting. Not bad looking otherwise.

King County - 06/08/11 - 9:31am

The bike looks like a homerun..(unless its insanely expensive). I’d include a chainwatcher device stock, and leave off the fenders to bring it to a lower price point.

brett pedal_pusher - 06/08/11 - 9:37pm

I am a huge Kona fan, I think they have made some really cool concept bikes over the years, but for the life of me, I do not understand the renewed popularity of mixties. It makes about as much sense to me as the resurgence of cassette tapes.

Steve J - 07/09/11 - 10:10am

brett..I still use cassette tapes ( no resurgence needed! ) and they have more dynamic range and tonal depth than most of the flat sounding CD’s available today. I suspect this Kona ‘mixte’ will also give a lovely ride compared to a lot of the inferior and cheap alu. MTB’s on the market at around the same price.In fact, I’d bet money on it. Kona have done their homework on this one.