Hermes Sport’s New Ritual GG 1270g Road Wheelset

Out of college, jobs weren’t forthcoming, so Alex Webster just started building up some really light wheels for friends and local racers. Now, he’s selling a fair number of hoops each month under his Hermes Sport brand and building a sales rep base.

His latest “stock” wheelset is the Ritual GG (he says “GG” is an acronym in German for lightweight). They use Tune Superspoke, which is made by Sapim exclusively for Tune. They’re butted 1.8/1.4/1.8 that, he says, end up being 20% lighter than a CX Ray but having a 20% longer fatigue life by concentrating the stresses more at the ends of the spokes.

They use Tune’s Mig 45 front and Mag 170 rear hubs. Rim is 23mm wide, he said they’ll work with Hutchinson’s tubeless conversion kits. Retail will be $1500. Wheelset weight is about 1270g, and they should be available now. In a nice move, these are the wheels that’ll be spec’d on the new Calfee high end build kits for bikes like the dragon fly. More pics after the break…

Nice, wide 23mm rim!

Hermes Sport Ritual GG lightweight road wheelset with Tune hubs at 1270g per set Hermes Sport Ritual GG lightweight road wheelset with Tune hubs at 1270g per set

The front wheel weighed in at 576g, there wasn’t a rear available to weigh.

Comments

murray - 05/12/11 - 11:38am

Somehow you ignored or failed to say who makes the rim!

jonah - 05/12/11 - 12:49pm

with no rim strip or QR’s its not that light of a wheelset
sure its good for a clincher, but if you really need to go ultra light chances are you’re going to go for carbon tubulars at that price

Tyler (Editor) - 05/12/11 - 2:13pm

It’san Asian sourced rim from one of the factories that makes rims for other companies, but he’s branding it and building the wheels himself in SoCal.

Condor - 05/12/11 - 3:26pm

Jonah, that is a pretty light wheelset for an alloy clincher.

the rim looks like a Velocity A-23 to me. Fairly light and affordable rim, but not the stiffest out there.

I’m curious to as to when the Sapim Superspokes will be stateside without getting price gouged for a special order.

Brandon - 05/13/11 - 7:47am

“20% longer fatigue life by concentrating the stresses more at the ends of the spokes.”

Nearly 100% of the broken spokes I’ve seen are at the ends of the spokes, are we sure concentrating MORE stress there is a good idea?

Mil - 05/15/11 - 11:49am

I actually took a ride on these wheels. I got the chance to demo them for a weekend!
extremely light, and very stiff. I’d say the stiffness of front/rear is right under my ksyriums. I’m not a super heavy guy, though at 144lbs.

They roll extremely well and these rims are WIDE. They made my 23c gp4000′s very nice and round profiled. I could probably use these wheels in CX with a tubeless setup.

It definitely hurt to put my carbon hub’d kysriums back on and have my bike noticeably heavier after the weekend. The ride quality is good. I took a nice long sunday out with them and really enjoyed it.