Rawland Cycles Unleashes the “rSogn”: A Fat-Tired Road Bike

Austin, TX – The company that brought fat-tired, production road bikes to the cycling world with its popular Sogn models is now accepting orders for the rSogn.

Following the success of the Rawland Sogn, which finally made a true fat-tired, production road bike available to the cycling world, the re-issued Sogn, or rSogn, shares the core design principle of all Sogn models: a frameset that has true road geometry including a steep head angle, low-to-mid trail fork, and moderate chain stay length – paired with the ability to fit tires up to 2.5” wide. This design has become a favorite for both daily commuters and long distance cyclists who appreciate quick handling bikes that climb well and encourage exploration of all paths less-traveled.

The rest of Rawland’s press release and more photos after the break…

The design phase of the rSogn included an interactive online dialog between Rawland designer Sean Virnig and a passionate and knowledgeable group of experienced cyclists. “Every detail of the rSogn design was discussed,” said Virnig. “Wheel size, tubing type and profile, load carrying optimization, color, sizing, brake type, braze-on types and locations, tire clearance, and more. I’m excited about this new frameset.” While the design of the rSogn was a public and iterative process, the final product represents Virnig?s vision of what a perfect fat-tired road bike should be. An archive of the dialog is available at http://rawlandcycles.blogspot.com.

Maxway-built framesets are currently $625 and can be pre-ordered online at www.rawlandcycles.com and through Rawland retailers.

Shipment is expected by springtime. Further details on the rSogn will be available on the web site.

Comments

Uri - 02/02/11 - 11:19pm

Just delightful.

Tom Boonen - 02/02/11 - 11:26pm

skeet, skeet, skeet, skeet, skeet, skeet,

Tony C - 02/02/11 - 11:54pm

Tell me that’s not rolling on 26 in wheels. A 29r would be most fitting for a road based platform.

ZachOverholt - 02/03/11 - 12:20am

I would guess based on the Pacenti Neo Moto Tires, it is actually a 650b wheel.

Slonie - 02/03/11 - 2:39am

Zach is right – Rawland is all 650B, all the time.

Slonie - 02/03/11 - 2:46am

Also – Expanded front triangle (to borrow GP’s term) to match the massive headtube lengths makes this look a lot better than the Drakkar, with its headtube extension. I suppose standover height may be compromised a bit, but it’s not an issue for me…

Clint - 02/03/11 - 10:48am

Rawland is not always 650B. The Drakkar can take 29er also.

Ed - 02/03/11 - 2:18pm

This looks very nice; but where are the disc brakes?

topmounter - 02/03/11 - 4:46pm

Maybe I’m missing something, but I think I’d rather just stick drops on my Air9 (or MCR9) w/ Niner Carbon Fork.

Joe Reinemann - 02/06/11 - 11:27pm

Rawland is NOT always 650b. I am currently running massive 29ers on my cSogn. It handles them with room to spare.

John Speare - 02/24/11 - 6:46pm

topmounter: Nothing wrong with putting drops/rigid forks on your Air9, but it’s still a mountain bike, with slacker head tube and moderate/low rake. The rSogn is more road (traditional racing) bike in those details. Think “livlier” front-end/handling… steering inputs feel more like a road bike than a mountain bike.