Is Something Afoot at Santa Cruz? Another Carbon Fiber 29er.

Is this real? Or maybe it’s a  Santa Cruz joke? Are they teasing us, or could it be a cynical marketing ploy? Either way I am hooked and desperate to find out more! This is just taken from the Santa Cruz site, a carbon fiber 29er hardtail mountain bike which appears to weigh in at a bit over 20lbs.

More pictures and words from Santa Cruz after the break.

“Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition…

Yes, carbon fiber. Yes, hardtail. Yes, 29? wheels. Regular ol’ bottom bracket shell, regular weight ol’ tubes in regular ol’ tires, rise bars, nice parts, twenty pounds, nine ounces. No, not a joke. No, we’re not gonna say anything more right now. Available sometime after the cherry blossoms fall from the tree. Stay tuned. Merry Happy etcetera. We’re shutting the doors here in a few hours and nobody will be around to answer any questions until AFTER THE NEW YEAR.”

Comments

balayeur - 12/23/10 - 6:57pm

wow hotness

Kovas - 12/24/10 - 11:14am

Part of me agrees with with balayer – straight up hotness.

But part of me says, “Yaaaaaawn… Whatever… Another all-carbon 29er hard-tail.” Am I alone here?
… No offense to Santa Cruz, they make some great rigs, but they’re not exactly pushing the envelope with this one… more like jumping on the ‘ol bandwagon. Niner, Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, Scott, Orbea – You name it, every big player in the biz seems to be carving some curvy molds and squeezing out a few carbon 29ers hoping to take a bite of the current market share. And they all brag about their weight… It’s carbon folks! It’s SUPPOSED to be light!

Seems like more 29er hard-tail innovation is coming from the small shops (i.e. NAHBS exhibitors), then the big boys with full R&D departments. C’mon Santa Cruz… how about carbon soft-tail, VPP “lite” or something that would make me open my eyes…. and my wallet.

Conor - 12/24/10 - 11:33am

^^^^ Agree…

It also helps to put on $2,000 hoops – this is a great bike, I’m sure, but how many people are buying $8,000 rigs??? The $3,000 market is where I’d like to see more options.

Dscarbs - 12/24/10 - 1:04pm

Schweet! 20 lbs! Sign me up! Wonder what the durability will be like.

Adam - 12/24/10 - 3:09pm

Beautiful and plain sexy frame. But definitely way too expensive. And I still enjoy my 26″ wheels. I haven’t been converted yet.

mr.banana - 12/24/10 - 7:12pm

put some stans ztr races on there and it would be lighter and about a 1k cheaper.
you don’t have to spend 8k to have a sweet and light 29er….just do some homework.
i have a 29er hardtail that weighs 21.5 lbs and cost me under 3k to build. not that hard.

b3 - 12/24/10 - 10:39pm

Santa Cruz…a day late and a dollar short…again!
How the once mighty have fallen.

monkeysex - 12/25/10 - 5:20am

not as light as the specialized at 18.5 lbs stock

Professore - 12/25/10 - 1:39pm

I agree with Kovas. I’m disappointed with Santa Cruz going this direction. A Chameleon style 29er is what I was hoping for or a soft-tail like the Spearfish / Dos Niner… not another carbon hardtail.

Zen Turtle - 12/26/10 - 12:34pm

Full Sus XC is dead and SC knows this.
Probably not pushing the envelope on this one but a necessary step to stay competitive in this segment and cover the gap in their portfolio.

Having said that the lines look sweet, simple and clean, I just want one.

Carlito - 12/28/10 - 10:34am

Full suspension xc is dead?!? I need some of what u r smoking.

Steve - 12/28/10 - 2:16pm

Full Sus XC is dead? That is a crock.

Chris - 12/28/10 - 6:22pm

Either my friends are way behind the curve or way ahead of it, most people I know are dumping their 29er’s in favor of AM/Trail hard tails with 26″ wheels (69º head angles). Building up bikes that have the same characteristics of their DJ bikes but for trail riding (Chameleon already fits this category). Even Lee McCormick is trying to go in this direction… http://www.leelikesbikes.com/experiment-stumpjumper-ht-evo-r.html

Jason Lombard - 12/31/10 - 2:01pm

I read some of these comments and it appears to me that some folks are saying “If you ride something different than I ride, or on terrain that isn’t like what I ride, you’re wrong.”

I ride a dually XC rig. I’m a recent convert to 29′ers. Most of the guys that I ride with are still riding high-end hardtails (some 26, some 29) and would be the exact target market for this bike. Side note: almost all if not all of them have second and third rigs in the garage—full sus XC bikes or trail bikes.

Not all of us live near Whistler or Tahoe. Not all of us live in Colorado. As such, there are different strokes for different folks. A bike like this is not only viable, but will be highly sought after in some circles. Not yours? Move along then.

[...] some were quick to criticize Santa Cruz for being “late to the carbon 29′r HT party,” it seems that they may not be the [...]

Mike Hall - 01/25/11 - 2:54pm

Well said Jason, well said.

[...] know that little pre-holiday sneak peed at the forthcoming Santa Cruz carbon fiber hardtail 29er?  Well, apparently that’s not the only new trick up their [...]

[...] idea what we’re talking about? Check this post and this post and act like ya [...]

[...] everyone has known for awhile that the boys at Santa Cruz have been working on a new 29′er, specifically a [...]