Cannondale ONBike Commuter To Move From Concept To Production

cannondale-onbike

Cannondale made waves in the cycling world several years ago when it began working on the Jackknife concept  bike, a sleek looking urban commuter that incorporated Cannondale’s single sided fork technology into the rear of the bicycle, eliminating the rear triangle. It was just a concept back then, but Cannondale recently announced that due to overwhelming support and interest in the concept, the company would move the concept forward to production, calling the innovating new design the Cannondale ONBike.

Cannondale said on its blog that it had “committed to bringing the ONBike concept into production in the near future,” although there is no concrete time table set. Cannondale’s website says that only 250 of the ONBikes will be made, and each will be individually numbered because of the small run.

Perhaps the most exciting part of the fully folding bikes will be the all new drivetrain system; a single sided, fully enclosed casing that is actually a structural component to the bike, replacing the entire rear triangle with a single beam connecting the bottom bracket and rear wheel on one side. The ONBike uses a traditional chain and cog to power the rear SRAM 9-speed internal hub, and the chain and gearing are completely protected by the case so there is no danger of getting grease on you while storing or parking the bike, while also providing a clean, maintenance free drivetrain. To make the bike truly one-sided, it also uses a HeadShok Solo 50mm front suspension fork, although the drivetrain and front fork are on opposite sides of the bike.

All cables are internally routed and the 6061 alloy frame keeps Cannondale’s signature aesthetics using sharp, aggressive tubing. The bike is spec’d with Cannondale SI BB30 cranks and bottom bracket, and front and rear Avid disc brakes, along with house-branded wheels, bars, and pedals.

The bike will come only in the matte black color scheme above, and has to be ordered through your local Cannondale dealer. No word yet on a price. At Interbike last year, Cannondale estimated a steep $3900 price point, but we are unsure if that still stands. (UPDATE: According to one dealer, MSRP could be as high as $7,000 USD. - Editor) Our local Cannondale dealer was expecting more information on pricing and availability “very soon.”

Full pictures after the jump…

cannondale-onbike-front-view

A front view of the ONBike. Notice the Lefty front suspension fork.

Cannondales ON Bike on display at Interbike 2009.

Cannondale's ONBike on display at Interbike 2009.

cannondale-onbike-drivetrain

The fully enclosed ONBike drivetrain.

cannondale-onbike-rear-hub

The ONBike uses a SRAM iMotion rear 9-speed internally geared hub.

The Cannondale Jackknife Concept bike was the predecessor to the ON Bike.

The Cannondale Jackknife Concept bike was the predecessor to the ON Bike.

Comments

Jordan - 03/20/10 - 10:25pm

$6500

Yannig - 03/20/10 - 10:51pm

Things are moving in bicycle design… gorgeous model by Cannondale (where are the European innovators???)

BradSohner - 03/21/10 - 12:04am

Interesting you mentioned that, Yannig. The Jackknife concept bicycle, which the ONBike is based on, came out of a design competition sponsored by Cannondale Europe. Philippe Holthuizen and Rodrigo Clavel, pair of masters students at Elisava Design School in Barcelona, Spain, originally submitted the design with a single sided rear drive train. Cannondale adopted the idea and their own R&D department began developing from there.

Gillis - 03/21/10 - 2:24pm

I liked this when I originally saw it. I’m not even a particular C-dale fan, but I would be interested in one. But they need to offer some solutions for full-wrap fenders, a (Yak) trailer mount, and maybe a nice looking rear rack (I think the current crop of seatpost mounted ones that I’ve seen are kinda ugly).

Bisyckle - 03/21/10 - 10:41pm

Well I love the expression of design, but don’t like the price. $3,300 clams or more is insulting. There are so many other attractive options, I just don’t fee like peeling my hard-earned frog skins from my pocket to own a bike that is “edgy.”

Does this design make the bike lighter? Can I carry a heavier load to/from work (each day I haul about 18 lbs of clothes and “stuff”)? Is it faster than my steel frame bike that I average 17+ mph with a ton of weight? Will I need to spend less than the 30 minutes/month servicing my existing bike in winter commuting conditions with snow/salt/slush/ice/dirt?

I adore Clydesdales. I own 3 of their frames, and feel each one is best in class. But a $3,000+ commuting bike without electric drive support? C’mon — fashion is for fools in Paris.

Adrian - 03/10/11 - 2:04pm

I’ve ridden one, nice concept but it weighs around 40 pounds.