Tom Ritchey Interview: Cape Epic and SuperLogic Carbon Mountain Bike Wheels
BIKERUMOR.com 2009 SEA OTTER CLASSIC COVERAGE: Tom Ritchey weighs in on his new SuperLogic carbon-rimmed mountain bike wheels and how they held up during the Cape Epic, a South Africa mtb stage race that is notorious for destroying bikes, parts and riders alike. Ã‚Â With a 308g rim and only 28 spokes, a lot of people thought he was crazy for bringing such a lightweight wheelset to a grueling event.
How’d they work out? Ã‚Â Flawlessly. Ã‚Â Check the video for Tom’s story about the event and the wheels, then hit “more” for additional photos and specs on the wheels…
The 1328g cross country wheelset saves weight with the following specs:
- Unidirectional High Modulus carbon/boron rim construction
- DT Swiss butted spokes (14/17/14) with brass nipples
- Cold-forged hubs
- Centerlock brake attachment (saves a few grams on the wheel, but will require adding adapter for 6-bolt std)
- Ti QR skewers with machined cams
- 28 spokes front and rear
- Ceramic braking surface (really? Ã‚Â if you’ve got the coin for these, you’re running disc brakes)
UPDATE: MSRP is $2,250/pair
Pricing wasn’t yet available, but the road tubular equivalent runs about $1,400 – $1,500, so maybe expect a little more since these are clinchers.