Based out of Portland, OR, wooden bike builder Renovo was recently tasked with a slightly different project; building a bike from barrel staves. But not just any barrels mind you, but barrels that once contained Glenmorangie Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Last year Glenmorangie started an initiative called Beyond the Cask where they use decommissioned whisky barrels as the raw material for collaborative projects. The Renovo Glenmorangie Original is the second collaboration in the series, after the renown craftsmen at Finlay and Co. built eyeglasses from the same American White Oak barrel staves the bike is also made from.
Not wanting to sacrifice the natural curvature the staves had from their previous life, Renovo integrated curving seatstays and a curving downtube into the Original. The bikes will be built using Renovo’s proprietary hollow frame technology, with each frame using about 15 individual barrel staves.
Available in two guises, the Launch Edition seen here, or the higher-end Prestige Edition. The Launch Edition bikes will feature Shimano 6800 Ultegra drivetrains, while Prestige Editions will receive Dura Ace 9170 Di2 kits. All bikes will use FSA cockpits (alloy on the Launch and Carbon on the Prestige) which will steer aptly-spec’d *Whisky* forks. The whole ensemble rolls on custom built 28h Velocity Aileron wheels. Stock builds will come with 28mm Vittoria or Schwalbe rubber, but tire clearance is quoted at 700x40c, transforming the Glenmorangie cruiser into a gravel-ready adventure mobile.
Each Renovo Glenmorangie Original is an original, with every bike being made-to-order. The Launch Edition Ultegra bike will set you back $6,950 (€5,800) and the Prestige will command a daunting $11,450 (€9,600). A $1000 down payment will let you choose from small(52cm), medium(55cm), or large(58cm) sizes and Ultegra or Dura Aces parts kits. Each frame will feature flat mounts, thru axles, a tapered headtube and a PF30 bottom bracket, and will be compatible with a rear rack and fenders. For those wanting to combine a passion for spirits and a love of bicycles, Renovo finally has the answer.
The Glenmorangie Original bicycles by Renovo – Facts and Figures
- Trapezoidal curved downtube and toptube recall the shape of Oak staves from Glenmorangie casks
- Flat+Wide “Longbow” seat stays engineered to optimize vibration damping and stiffness
- Lightweight, hollow chain stays
- 27.2mm seatpost for maximal compliance
- Long wheelbase enhances stability and vertical compliance
- Tapered headtube, PF30 bottom bracket, front and rear thru-axles all increase stiffness under power
- Disc brakes offer superior stopping power on long descents
- Full carbon, tapered steerer tube fork with fender mounts
- Frame is Fender and rack compatible (management use requires adapter)
- 28-40mm tire compatibility
- Delivered fully tuned and 98% assembled in custom presentation packaging, ready to ride in 15 minutes or less.
- Includes assembly tools and mini-pump
- Available in Small, Medium and Large sizes
Launch Edition Specifications:
- The Glenmorangie Original Frame by Renovo, White Oak and Sapele Woods
- Shimano Ultegra 6800 Shifting and Braking Systems
- Custom 28 spoke Velocity Aileron Comp Wheels
- FSA Energy Handlebar, Stem and Seatpost
- Vittoria Rubino Pro 700x28mm tires
- Selle Italia XR Gel Flow Saddle
- Lizard Skins DSP Bar Tape
- MSRP: $6950