Photo from the collection of Rustybicycle. If you think you know what this is, post your answer in ‘comments’ section– the answer will be posted there on Tuesday!

To send in your own Mystery Pic to be considered for the Monday feature, click here and attach your photo with all pertinent information.



  1. I’ve got one of those, although I don’t remember what it’s called. Bought it from framebuilder Angel Rodriguez, who invented it. It hails from the era of touring, and is used as a portable freewheel removing lever. The long prongs go over the stem, while a freewheel remover tool fits in the section that’s machined away. A skewer is threaded into the hole to keep everything in place. The stem, then, and indeed the whole bike, acts as a lever arm while you twist the freewheel off the wheel.

  2. I don’t think that is the tool you are thinking of. This is cast. It wouldn’t handle that pressure. And the end is not shaped quite right to fit in a freewheel or cassette. I believe it’s for a rack on a bike. I will look when I get in the shop as it looks familiar.

  3. It still requires a freewheel remover; this only substitutes for the vice or big wrench you’d need to turn it. It’s plenty strong enough, but in practice marred the stem. Spokes weren’t as good in the 70s as they are now and American tourists overloaded their rear racks and so broken spokes weren’t uncommon, and this was pretty handy for remote repairs.

  4. Hi guys – great answers! The answer from Rustybicycle: “This tool attached to the old school freewheel remover (Suntour I think) and allows someone to remove the freewheel in the field without a big wrench or a bench vice. The threaded section accepts the QR skewer to hold it in place.”

  5. EASY!
    Portable freewheel removal vice. Holds the appropriate FW removal tool (in the top), is held on with the QR skewer, and the bottom fits over a handy(?) fence rail.

    A common tool for the touring cyclist so they could replace a broken rear driveside spoke

What do you think?