Christmas is right around the corner and if you are stuck scrambling for unique gift ideas we’ve got a few good ones for ya. Hit the break for the goods: a killer “Après” jacket to keep you warm and lookin’ good post ride; a truly vintage, hand-crafted merino wool jersey direct from England; and yes, Victoria’s Secret’s first ever heart-rate bra…
Posts in the category Women’s
The holidays are here so it’s time for me to dust off my wish list as well, one so my wife will see it, but also so it may give you some ideas. Just to give you an idea where I am coming from, I’m a rider of any kind of bike that involves getting the tires dirty. That means that even on a road bike with 23s I end up hitting the dirt roads, and prefer to keep the bike rides in the forests. I’m based in Prague, so my list has a more European tinge to it.
I’m in the middle of masters cyclocross racing, so while predominantly a mountain biker, now is the time of wet, muddy, snowy, and slippery rides on skinnier tires. I am spending a lot of time trail riding on cross tubulars, a little bit of dirt and gravel road training, and a lot of rides where I come home cold and wet. But I am dreaming a bit of cross country rides in crisp snow, of hitting some steep root and rock strewn technical descents, and getting in some all day exploring rides when warm weather returns. Most of my picks then are to get me through the dark days of winter, with the hope of warm, dry rides to come.
24 hours of mountain bike racing without lights above the arctic circle in Finnish Lapland. How can that not sound like an amazing idea? On the weekend of the summer solstice each year, the Levi ski resort 170km north of the arctic circle runs the Levi24, a unique 24hr race with sunlight through the night. I’ve done plenty of 24hr races over the last 15 years and always loved the sunrise lap, but have experienced nothing like this. Its next running is 12-13 June 2015, and could be a great chance to throw the family into a camper and go explore some fjords and gravel roads.
- The Red Bull Signature Series continues this Sunday on NBC at 12:30 PM EST with the Red Bull District Ride. 80,000 people witnessed a unique urban slopestyle course designed by freeride legend and previous District Ride winner Aaron Chase. The course starts with a drop from Nuremberg’s castle walls and then makes its way through the city center and five different districts that offer varying obstacles for the world’s top freeride bike athletes to master and trick off.
- One Day Only Sale on Small Business Saturday – 30% off of Complete Handsome Bicycles – Join them for a one day pop-up shop at Martin Patrick 3 in Minneapolis for an event that’s not-to-be-missed!
- Decorate your bike with festive crap contest – It’s another great year for Magnolia BMX’s Holiday Bike Check Contest, minus the bike check! They’ve got really great sponsors and unlike last year, it’s open internationally!
- Stages Power meters will be available in South Korea starting January 2015 through Welltuned. The Stages Power meter, which was launched in North America in 2012, is sold factory installed — by Stages Cycling, in Boulder, CO USA — to aluminum crank arms throughout the Cannondale, FSA, Shimano, and SRAM ranges.
- Hermes Sport handbuilt competition wheels are now available worldwide through The Aftermarket. Founded in July 2009 by Alex Webster, Hermes Sport was born of a general, lifelong obsession with high-end bike parts and a particular fixation on wheels.
- Scott Sports USA and Deer Valley Resort Announce Multi-Year Partnership. Starting this 2014/2015 season Scott Sports USA will be the official goggle, pole, helmet and bike sponsor of Deer Valley Resort.
- Bianchi and Thomson Bikes Tours have joined forces to offer exclusive new cycling trips in 2015. The first destination is Lombardia, a cycling paradise in northern Italy, and is open for booking on either company’s website.
Juliana Bicycles, the sister brand of Santa Cruz, is the first manufacturer to focus exclusively on the women’s specific mountain bike market. Their product line spans everything from entry level aluminum hard tails to full carbon wonder machines, and has a unique ethos.
The company is run by and represented by some of the fastest (and bad ass) chicks we’ve had the pleasure of riding with, and they’re looking to expand that family of riders. Whether you’re a high school athlete, established ripper, or industry hack, if you identify with the brand, they invite you to sign up to be part of their Ambassador Program.
Check out all the details after the break..
- In case you weren’t one of the 3500 people who were lucky enough to score a ticket to the Red Bull Dreamline last month then you’re in luck. NBC will be airing the event this Saturday at 5 PM EST. The Red Bull Dreamline, which is part of the Red Bull Signature Series, was held at the Oskar Blues REEB Ranch in Hendersonville, North Carolina. The event featured a field of 32 of the world’s best BMX dirt jump riders.
- Here’s one more reminder that if you’re in the Philadelphia area this weekend then be sure to check out the Philadelphia Bike Expo at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. It will be held November 8th and 9th. Purchase your tickets in advance and save $$$!
- After the incredible turnout last year, the Chiltern Cycling Festival has grown into two events. First off will be The Chiltern Cycling Festival on July 12th. The next date for your calendar is the Chenies Velo Classique on August 31st. Entries open on November 6th via www.britishcycling.org.uk.
- Get ready for next season’s riding by training indoors over the winter with the ultimate cycling video experience. The Sufferfest - creators of the world’s best cycling, running and triathlon training videos – have launched a licensing program which is set to transform the indoor cycling experience for facilities, instructors and participants.
- Put that training to good use by taking a cycling tour through beautiful Tuscany. Imagine spending several days cycling through the Italian countryside, riding past vineyards and Roman castles, then stopping overnight in hilltop towns to enjoy delicious Italian cuisine and wine at the end of the day. Lifecycle Adventures, a cycling vacation company known for its customized bike tours in California, Hawaii, Washington’s San Juan Islands and Oregon, is now operating cycling tours in Tuscany, Italy.
- Do you live in New York City? Want to know the ins and outs of bike commuting in the city? Bike New York offers free Bike Commuting 101 and Winter Riding 101 classes to empower cyclists to become year-round bike commuters.
- Mario Cipollini, Tour de France multi-stage winner will be visiting California from November 12 to 15 for several meet and greet events at Cipollini dealers. Visit www.cipolliniusa.com for dates and times.
- Funkier Bike Apparel is now available in the USA! Torcano Industries has become the exclusive U.S. distributor for Funkier Bike Apparel. Check out the story HERE.
- Swiftwick’s Sock of the Month for November are these really cool Turkey Trot socks. I can’t think of anything better to wear on my piggies on Thanksgiving Day. Look for mine propped up on the end of the couch while I take my tryptophan nap. Click HERE to get yours today.
Lots more Friday Roundup after the break!
- Smith Optics celebrates women in actions sports throughout the month of October. In addition SMITH will donate $1 for ever pair of glass sold on Smithoptics.com to First Descents, a non-profit offering young adult cancer fighters and survivors an outdoor adventure experience.
- Girls ride for FREE for the whole month of October at the Daniel Dhers Action Sports Complex.
- We’ve heard local upstart brewery Gibbs Hundred could have some cycling-oriented items in the future, so we’re doing our part to help them get off the ground (it doesn’t hurt that they’re only a few blocks from Bikerumor HQ!). Check out their Kickstarter campaign here to help fund the set up of a cask and barrel conditioning room and score some sweet stainless and glass containers from which to drink your favorite beverage. And if you’re local to Greensboro, NC, swing by their new location tonight for a little launch party.
- Registration has been extended for the Hincapie Gran Fondo. Join George Hincapie and cycling stars of the past, present and future on a challenging ride through upstate South Carolina.
- WITHDRAWAL WARNING! Only 10 Days Left for Whistler Mountain Bike Park. Get your runs in while you can.
- USA Getting Closer! COMMENCAL is opening its subsidiary in Carlsbad, California.
- A Father-Daughter Cycling Duo is currently riding Cross-Country to Benefit Hope for the Warriors®. Their bike ride will span thousands of miles to raise funds and awareness for service members and their families.
- Cogs 4 Cancer to celebrate 850km cycle with Royal Hotel Party. After cycling 850km from Ancona Italy, the sixteen riders and their support team will be celebrating their accomplishments at the Royal Hotel Antibes on Saturday 11th October.
- What goes best with your post-ride latte? Why it’s a Seasonal CLIF Bar of course. Check out the great new flavors: Iced Gingerbread, Spiced Pumpkin Pie and one that I’m sure to love, Pecan Pie.
IB14: Jamis Renegade Adventure Road Bike Breaks Outta Production, Plus New Women’s 650B Mountain Bikes!
Jamis’ Renegade adventure road bike goes beyond a single classification. It’s a fondo bike, endurance bike, gravel bike and commuter road bike all at once. It’s also looking like quite a high performance bike when called upon to hustle, too. Like when Tyler Wren took 3rd place in this year’s Crusher in the Tushars.
They introduced it this summer just before that event along with a healthy dose of info, but at Interbike we put it on the scale and got a few more details about production spec and builds. We’ve got plenty of pics and notes to share, and their new product video really puts it all into motion…
Zoic’s fall ’14/spring ’15 line was headlined by their new camouflage prints, with the pattern taking over a few of the shorts and simply highlighting a few panels for the tops. To complement them, other color tops, such as the orange worn here, pair with them nicely while working just as well on their own.
As they were packing up, the kind folks handed over a couple of sales samples for us to try out, so here’s a quick review along with the details on the new products. My ride was on a pleasant day, neither too sunny and hot or too gray and cool. Honestly, it was a perfect day for riding, and the clothing felt wonderful. I paired the new camo Ether shorts with an older Zoic padded base short I’ve had for a while, and they were both very comfortable for a 2.5 hour ride. The short’s material has a soft, lightly textured inner face that disappeared while riding. The length and fit was just right for XC/Trail riding, never snagging on the saddle or flapping in the breeze at speed.
The new DNA jersey is a more simplified version of the original, losing the side zip pockets. It keeps the raglan sleeves and v-neck for comfort and ease of movement, and the tech polyester wicks moisture away and stayed dry everywhere but under my Camelbak.
Check the details and lots more new riding kit for men, women and kids, below…
- Shannon Galpin of Mountain2Mountain, sponsored by Liv Cycling, has organized a Global Solidarity Ride on Saturday, August 30th, to show support for women’s cycling in Afghanistan. Check her website for an organized ride near you – or dedicate your ride tomorrow to these brave women and girls, use hashtags #pedalarevolution and #solidarityride2014.
- Greenville, SC, is hosting the 2014 UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships that is taking place now through Sept. 1st. Free live streaming of the events is being hosted here.
- The 11th Lake Wolfgang Challenge triathlons will be September 6-7th in Strobl, Austria. This weekend will include an Olympic Distance Challenge, an X-Challenge Sprint (with mountain biking as the bike portion), a combo of the X and Olympic, and a Kid’s Challenge. More info in German here.
- The first mountain bike race on, what is probably the most remote place to hold one, Saint Helena Island, will be held Saturday, September 20th. You must email their tourist office to register before September 5th, looks like the race is free, but you must arrange your own transportation to this island in the South Atlantic Ocean. Flyer after the break.
- The 2014 Hell Hole Gravel Grind Stage Race will be held the weekend of September 19th-21st on the gravel roads in and around Hellhole Swamp in the Francis Marion National Forest just outside of Charleston, South Carolina.
- Bike MS: Cox Atlanta Ride 2014 at Calloway Gardens is September 20th and 21st. Registration and info here.
- IMBA’s Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day is Saturday, October 4th.
- Only 3 days left to enter to win a Loaded Carbon Cockpit.
- This week, IPWatchdog focuses it’s Evolution of a Technology series on bicycle patents.
- IMBA held a panel discussion at their World Summit in Steamboat Springs, CO, last week on the use of e-bikes on mountain bike trails that led to a suggested strategy for IMBA and the industry to consider.
- Road Hollad Cycling Apparel is having a Labor Day promotion this weekend, 20% off everything with code LABOR at checkout. Have a Labor Day sale going on? Leave the information in the comments.