- Boombotix & Cyclehawk announce the limited edition Cyclehawk Boombot REX, pictured at right, featuring artwork from famous bike messenger Kevin “Squid” Bolger. Only 300 will be released now with another 300 released in two months.
- The power2max Classic power meter will be soon discontinued and is now on sale from $729.
- The Rapha Women’s 100 generated over 11,000 posts on Twitter and Instagram. Find them through the #womens100 hashtag.
- Highway Two has announced that it will give 1% of qualified program sales to NICA and urges the industry to match. H2 dealers will receive program information this month.
- Guru Cycles is offering a 10% mail-in rebate on all frames and complete bikes through their dealers, good for purchases through August 31st.
- Aaron Gwin will debut his new Troy Lee Designs Signature Sprint Gear at Round 5 of the UCI Mountain Bike Downhill World Cup at Mont Sainte Anne in Canada this weekend. He is giving you a chance to win a kit of your own and a Gwin Replica D3 Helmet. Enter now through Monday, August 4th at 12pm. Winners will randomly be chosen, emailed directly, and announced on the giveaway page right after entries close!
- Montague Bikes is giving away a Montague Crosstown Folding Bike. Contest ends September 2nd.
- Article by the NYTimes explaining the state of this years’ Tour de France: As Technology Makes Bicycles Lighter and Faster, It’s the Cyclists Falling Harder.
- The Finger Lakes Tour de Cure is only two weeks away – August 16th with five distance options.
- Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation is promoting the 2014 Alex’s Million Mile – Run.Walk.Ride as a way to raise awareness for childhood cancer during the month of September.
- The inaugural Tahoe Bike Classic will be held September 27 – 28th.
- The Carolina Cycling Challenge supports pediatric cancer with donations going to the Levine Children’s Hospital of Charlotte. Held in Hickory, NC, this years’ event will be on October 5th with three ride distances: 10, 32 and 55 miles.
- The Road Titans 300, is a three-day road bike romp through the beautiful mountains, trees and waterfalls of South Carolina’s Oconee County – the 30,000ft of climbing is no joke, so start training now. November 7-9th, 2014.
- The Philly Bike Expo is returning for its 5th year and excitement is growing for the “two-day festival of bicycle culture.” Returning to the Pennsylvania Convention Center, November 8-9th, tickets for general admission go on sale in August.
Posts in the category Contest
The Bike Design Project by Origen Manifest challenges five teams based in cycling-centric cities in the United States to redefine the utility bike. Each team is required to build a fully functional prototype and at the end of the development period, cyclists are invited to vote on the winning project.
That bike will be then be produced in a limited run through the a partnership with Fuji and will eventually be available in retail shops. Drop past the break for an overview of the entries and then vote! READ MORE ->
- DISSING + WEITLING architecture are proud to announce the completion of their “bike snake” bridge in Copenhagen. Shown above, the 235m bridge opened July 28th and after 2 weeks has about 10,000 daily users. It is only for bikes, freeing up the lower level for pedestrians.
- Early registration pricing for the 2014 Enduro-X Race Series held in Steamboat Springs, CO, ends midnight Saturday July 12.
- This year’s BC Bike Race has barely wrapped up and already registration is open for the 2015 edition.
- The Mad Dog Challenge is billed as the “Ultimate Long Distance Cycling Challenge” organizing crazy long distance rides in Asia – each day has 150-210km of riding. Seven packages are available with 4 to 8 days of fully supported riding.
- ESPN Films’ 30 for 30 series will take a look back at one of the sports’ most epic rivalries between Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault with “Slaying the Badger” on Tuesday, July 22, at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN.
- fi’zi:k is looking for 10 Ironman product testers to help develop triathlon specific products. Selection ends July 27th.
- Interbike 2014 has added floor space to their exhibition area due to increased demand. More than 200 new exhibitors that have never showcased at Interbike will have space near registration in an area called “The Lab.”
- VP Components and BTI are giving one lucky bike shop employee a chance to win 2 free entries into the sold out Downieville Classic All-Mountain event in Downieville, CA, July 31 – August 3, 2014. The entries, valued at over $400, automatically get the winner and a friend into this event in the All-Mountain category (does not include your transportation, lodging and meals.) This contest is only open to bike shop employees. To enter the contest, a bike shop employee must post a photo of themselves on Facebook with a new in-box VP-VX Series pedal, VP-Harrier pedal or VP-VEX pedal. All photos must be hashtagged #vpallmountain and list the name of their bike shop. The photo that gets the most shares will be the winner. The contest began July 9 and ends July 14 at 5:00PM PST.
For a limited time this summer, Brooks England and Levi’s have teamed up to produce a Denim version of the Cambium saddle.In lieu of the traditional leather and spring design, the Cambium model uses a soft rubber base covered in organic cotton, to replicate that famous Brooke ride at a lower price point.
This Denim edition will only be available this summer at Levi’s Commuter Workspace stores in Brooklyn, Los Angeles and London, and at the Brooks online store in October.
If you bring clean used denim to one of the three Levi’s Commuter stores, the company will re-use the material to manufacturer saddle, and give you a coupon good for 20% off any Levi’s Commuter or Brook’s Products, plus you’ll be entered in a contest to win one of the saddles.
Full press release and teaser video after the break
- Beautiful footage of this years’ Yak Attack above. Find out more about the “Worlds highest mountain bike race” here. High altitude training anyone?
- Today Save $5 off the Sufferfest training video bundle: The Wretched and There Is No Try, featuring officially licensed video footage of Le Tour.
- Culprit Bicycles are offering 10% off all carbon road bikes this week.
- Scott Sports has a new website for your enjoyment as well as a special feature with daily updates from the 2014 Tour de France: Moments of Le Tour.
- Join George Hincapie on July 9th as he celebrates his favorite stage of the Tour de France with a bike ride and viewing party at his Hotel Domestique in Travelers Rest, SC.
- Cam Zink is hosting two mountain bike clinics at Mammoth Mountain Bike Park on July 26th, with a free ride with Cam day on the 27th.
- GirlBikeLove’s Sarai Snyder is raising money for Women Race Bikes: a new media site dedicated to reporting women’s professional cycling.
- Trek Bicycle will be matching all donations dollar-for-dollar to World Bicycle Relief for the month of July.
- Amtrak is making it easier to transport your bicycle along it’s long distance routes.
- The Catskills Outdoor Guide is now available electronically or in print with a short guide to riding around the Catskills by John Ferguson, John S., and Anton of the blog Riding the Catskills.
- Snapguide has announced the winners of their Bike Hack contest.
- Happy 4th of July to our readers in the USA!
March Madness meet July Madness – RoadID is giving away 1 Million dollars for the perfect Tour de France bracket. Just picking the winner won’t net you a cool million however, you’ll have to predict the top ten GC finishers, in exact order. Even if you don’t win the grand prize with the perfect bracket, RoadID is giving away $1,000 and a $250 RoadID gift card to the top three best brackets, along with the next 7 best receiving a $250 RoadID gift card. Unfortunately for our international readers, you must be a US resident to enter. Head over here to enter and check out more details after the break!
Absolute Black has been pretty busy, releasing single speed cogs and direct-mount Cannondale Hollowgram narrow/wide chainrings in the past few weeks. Now, joining his 104BCD offerings is an ovalized chainring option.
The part shown here is prototype #3 and not nearly the finished version. AB’s founder Marcin told us it’s proving difficult to get perfect ovalization, so he’s taking his time on this one. Fortunately, he’s able to tell us where it’s headed. The ovalization will be about 1.10, which is similar to what Rotor does. That equates to a 32-tooth chainring with the equivalent of 30-tooth and 34-tooth sections at the extremes.
Marcin says that gives people the common 32-tooth size with the additional speed available from a 34. The other trick is clocking the highest point into the optimum position, so that you’re in the peak of your power band when you’re pushing the 34 equivalent. That lines up the 30 equivalent in your dead band, so there’s less effort required where you’re typically weakest. READ MORE ->
- The Munga bills itself as the “toughest race on earth” which shouldn’t be taken lightly as its creator has raced in the Freedom Challenge (2300km across South Africa) and the Tour Divide (4418km along the Rockies from Canada to Mexico). He thought that races like these deserve more than a handshake at the end, that prize money should be given to the toughest athletes, the kind that complete these kinds of races not just 4 and 5 hour races. Enter the idea for the Munga: a 1000+km mountain bike race in Bloemfontein, South Africa. Teams of two compete for grand prize money of $750,000! All teams that make the 5 day cutoff are entered to win a random drawing of $100,000. Too good to be true? A bit, it costs $10,000 per team to enter.
- The League of American Bicyclists has announced the winners of it’s Women Bike Mini Grant Program for 2014. The grants were created to support new and growing programs that engage young women in bicycling, encourage more moms to ride and advance female leadership in the bike movement.
- Tell Orbea what you ride to overcome and be entered to win their second giveaway of a Team Novo Nordisk replica M50 complete bike.
- There are less than three days left on the Indiegogo campaign for you to purchase your Wheely’s Bicycle Cafe franchise. Your Semi-Early Bird price includes a three-wheeled bicycle cafe, signage, branded cups and napkins, Wheely’s manual, and a life-time right to use your Wheely’s Bicycle Cafe in a designated geographical area with no franchise fees.
- The Air Force Association Cycling Classic will be held this weekend, June 7-8, in Clarendon and Crystal City, VA. Online registration is closed, but spots will be available for purchase at packet pick-up. Kids’ races will be held both days, check the website for more info.
- Nat Cobb, a board member of WildEarth Guardians, is riding the 2014 Tour Divide on June 13th. He is using his ride to raise money to protect and restore the wild wolf population of the Western US.
- Ellsworth & Cog Wild’s 2014 Owner’s Retreat will be in Bend, Oregon, the weekend of July 25-27th.
- Tern bicycles and Car2Go have partnered to offer special promotions to their customers in Rome, Milan and Florence.
- Revolights‘ blog has posted a list of What To Do After A Cycling Collision.
- If you haven’t seen this data yet, it’s exciting – the first major academic study of protected bike lane use in the US has been published. People For Bikes‘ website has a link to the whole study and has written a Cliff’s Notes version of the results worth reading.
- Snapguide, an online how-to community, is launching a bike-hack contest next week in honor of Bike To Work Month. Upload your how-to guide on anything bike related to win up to $900 in hand made bike accessories.
- Enter to win a knog Blinder Arc 1.7 & Bouncer U-Lock by liking their FB page and telling them how many lumens the Blinder 1.7 outputs.
- Rickshaw Bagworks is offering 15% off their products to get ready for Bike Month with coupon code BIKEMONTH at checkout. Offer ends May 9th.
- Tonight, May 2nd, Mission Workshop is hosting a talk by Aaron Stinner of Stinner Frameworks from 7-10pm.
- Culprit Bicycles will be expoing at the Wildflower Triathlon in Bradley, CA, this weekend. All models will be on display and available for test rides. Test riders will get 5% off any bike order.
- The Sugar Showdown is heading to Burlington, WA, May 9-11th. This women-led, women-focused bike event will include one day of Mountain bike coaching and one day of competition at the new indoor Burlington Bike Park.
- There’s been a lot of talk about cycling is the new golf for entrepreneurs.
- These new socks from DeFeet would make great hand-ups!
- Pedalers Pub & Grille wants you to know they are not a restaurant – they are a bicycle and multi-sport tour operator servicing Southeast Asia, the Himalayas, Alaska, Hawaii and the Yukon. They are highlighting their Bali Paradise Ride which they offer March through October.
- The Cycling House has added a Glacier National Park tour for their 2014 season, in addition to their bicycle camps in the Western U.S., and Europe.
- Velo Tours has partnered with Après Vélo to produce annual Après Vélo cycling tours to South Africa, the Tour de France and the Tour Down Under. Get in touch here for more info.