- Shannon Galpin of Mountain2Mountain, sponsored by Liv Cycling, has organized a Global Solidarity Ride on Saturday, August 30th, to show support for women’s cycling in Afghanistan. Check her website for an organized ride near you – or dedicate your ride tomorrow to these brave women and girls, use hashtags #pedalarevolution and #solidarityride2014.
- Greenville, SC, is hosting the 2014 UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships that is taking place now through Sept. 1st. Free live streaming of the events is being hosted here.
- The 11th Lake Wolfgang Challenge triathlons will be September 6-7th in Strobl, Austria. This weekend will include an Olympic Distance Challenge, an X-Challenge Sprint (with mountain biking as the bike portion), a combo of the X and Olympic, and a Kid’s Challenge. More info in German here.
- The first mountain bike race on, what is probably the most remote place to hold one, Saint Helena Island, will be held Saturday, September 20th. You must email their tourist office to register before September 5th, looks like the race is free, but you must arrange your own transportation to this island in the South Atlantic Ocean. Flyer after the break.
- The 2014 Hell Hole Gravel Grind Stage Race will be held the weekend of September 19th-21st on the gravel roads in and around Hellhole Swamp in the Francis Marion National Forest just outside of Charleston, South Carolina.
- Bike MS: Cox Atlanta Ride 2014 at Calloway Gardens is September 20th and 21st. Registration and info here.
- IMBA’s Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day is Saturday, October 4th.
- Only 3 days left to enter to win a Loaded Carbon Cockpit.
- This week, IPWatchdog focuses it’s Evolution of a Technology series on bicycle patents.
- IMBA held a panel discussion at their World Summit in Steamboat Springs, CO, last week on the use of e-bikes on mountain bike trails that led to a suggested strategy for IMBA and the industry to consider.
- Road Hollad Cycling Apparel is having a Labor Day promotion this weekend, 20% off everything with code LABOR at checkout. Have a Labor Day sale going on? Leave the information in the comments.
Posts in the category Contest
- Universal Sports will be covering the Vuelta a España starting this weekend.
- Don’t miss Rebecca’s Private Idaho: August 31st Rebecca Rusch will lead two, fully supported gravel rides through the beautiful mountains of Ketchum, Idaho, with an after party that will pay you back for the hurt you just took climbing 6,500ft in nearly 100 miles. (There’s also a shorter option of 56 miles.)
- Take the Campanoglo Grande Giro Challenge - join the Campagnolo Riders Club on Strava and challenge yourself to ride at least 1000km in 30 days – 1/3 of the distance of a Grande Giri: The Tour de France, Gira d’Italia, and Vuelta a España combined.
- The USA Cycling Professional Criterium National Championships will be held during the 2014 High Point Cycling Classic on September 4-6th. The three day festival includes an art exhibit featuring the bikes of 5 leading custom frame builders, swap meet, vintage bike show, and of course, the races…
- Did you know Rapha will repair your kit if you have a crash? Repairs can take up to 4 weeks, but it’s nice to know you don’t have to throw away an expensive kit with tears in it.
- CGTrader, a 3D model marketplace, is holding a 3D Printed Bicycle Accessories Challenge. Winner receives a FlyKly pedal assist smart wheel and the opportunity to sell your accessory to FlyKly customers and promotion on CGTrader. Submissions must be made by October 8th.
- Sport Chalet is celebrating their redesigned website by offering six Adventures of a Lifetime sweepstakes. One, a 10 day cycling adventure through New Zealand.
- Our friends and monthly contributors at Peaks Coaching Group are excited to announce new affiliate groups based in Brazil: coached by Cris Solak, and Japan: coached by Takashi Nakata; and their continued international expansion coaching two pro teams in India: Team Trek Foxfire and Team Specialized.
- In light of certain self(ie)ish fan behavior seen at many races this summer, First Bank, a sponsor of the USA Pro Challenge, is having a contest for the Most Respectful Superfan. Winners will receive replica Most Aggressive Rider jerseys signed by the winners, grand prize winner will also receive a $200 Amazon gift card.
- Handsome Cycles is closing their downtown Minneapolis retail location and moving to studio space in NE Mnpls. Stop by their retail store for a moving sale August 18th-23rd to receive killer deals (10%-60% OFF) on remaining apparel, bags, shoes and bikes. Check out the new space on Sept. 6th from 12-4pm for an open house, 1620 Central Ave NE, Suite 157.
- The 5th Annual WYDAHO Rendezvous will be held August 29th – September 1st at the Grand Targhee Resort in Alta, Wyoming.
- Registration is open for the 42nd Annual Carolina Cup, September 7th, in Greensboro, NC. Click here to volunteer at the race!
- Registration is also open for Trek’s 2nd Annual Backyard UCI Cyclocross Race, September 20-21st. Held in the backyard of Trek’s global HQ in Waterloo, WI.
- Blackberry Farm in TN is offering a private Tour de Smokies event featuring three days of cycling with former pro and top cycling Coach Robbie Ventura, andTour de France Veterans George Hincapie and Christian Vande Velde. Each day’s 45-75 miles of riding will be capped with incredible food and wine at the luxury farm situated in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains.
- The 2014 Handmade Bike and Beer Festival, combining the OBCA Handmade Bike Show with HUB’s BiKETOBEERFEST, will be held September 28th at Hopworks Urban Brewery in Portland, Oregon. Check out Karl Edwards’ website detailing the progression of the beautiful poster for the event.
- Don’t forget the Philly Bike Expo on Nov 8-9th!
- Pure Adventures has announced new Supported Self Directed Tours – a hybrid of guided and self-supported trips in Europe and Western US.
- Cyclists in Western North Carolina are banding together to support Jaimee Johnsen who was hit by a car while out training. They are taking donations via GoFundMe to help with medical bills, and Industry 9 has offered a bonus – anyone who donates over $20 can be entered to win your choice of any standard aluminum (road or mtn) wheel set.
- KCCI reports that Ames, Iowa, has installed bicycle radar systems at intersections that detects cyclists waiting for the traffic light.
- On Wednesday, the NYPD started a two week “Bicycle Safety Crackdown” to target violations that threaten the safety of cyclists and pedestrians. Drivers who interfere with cyclists’ progress by blocking bike lanes will also be targeted.
- And news that couldn’t be more timely, in fact, I wish it had come sooner: Smashburger, a founding sponsor of the USA Pro Challenge, will be fundraising for the Davis Phinney Foundation which supports people diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease with information and guidance on living with the disease. Coinciding with the start of the race, August 18th – September 14th, the burger chain will be selling orange bracelets with the foundation’s motto “Every Victory Counts” for $2.
Just a reminder, we’ll pick two winners this afternoon to receive a Clif Bar sample box similar to the one shown on the left! Want your name in the drawing? They’re going to two of our Bikerumor Email Newsletter subscribers, so if you’re not already signed up and getting the weekly download, click here to get your email on the list. Must be a valid email address to win since, you know, that’s how we’ll be getting in touch with you. Be sure to sign up and confirm your subscription before 12 noon EST today to get in the drawing. Big thanks to Clif Bar for providing two gift boxes!
Want to win a sampler pack like the one shown here? We have TWO to giveaway, and they’re going to two of our Bikerumor Email Newsletter subscribers! We’ll randomly pick two winners from our general subscriber list on the afternoon of Friday, August 15th, so if you’re not already signed up and getting the weekly download, click here to get your email on the list. Must be a valid email address to win since, you know, that’s how we’ll be getting in touch with you. Be sure to sign up and confirm your subscription before 12 noon EST on Friday to get in the drawing. Big thanks to Clif Bar for providing two gift boxes!
After winning the Oregon Manifest and Levi’s Bike Design Project, Denny is headed on for big things. Denny of course being the bike that was created by the collaboration between TEAGUE design and Sizemore Bicycle. During the competition, bike designs were unveiled at release parties in each of the competing cities – Chicago, New York, Portland, San Francisco, and TEAGUE x Sizemore’s Seattle. By being voted the best bike in the design competition, a “refined” version of Denny will be brought to production by Fuji Bicycle with an actual retail debut scheduled for 2015.
“We’re very impressed and proud of what the other firms achieved with their bikes, and thankful to have had the opportunity to work with Taylor Sizemore on our ‘Denny’ bike,” said Creative Director at TEAGUE, Roger Jackson. “The fact that this was a public vote means a lot to our team, so we’re super excited to reward those voters by working with Fuji to refine the ‘Denny’ and bring a great biking experience to market.”
The winning bike is what the Teague x Sizemore team considers an “all in” commuter platform for urban environments like Seattle. Built with a number of integrated features, Denny addresses the need for security, safety, and convenience through their design. How will all of these features translate to production? That remains to be seen, but for now check out the details after the break….
- Boombotix & Cyclehawk announce the limited edition Cyclehawk Boombot REX, pictured at right, featuring artwork from famous bike messenger Kevin “Squid” Bolger. Only 300 will be released now with another 300 released in two months.
- The power2max Classic power meter will be soon discontinued and is now on sale from $729.
- The Rapha Women’s 100 generated over 11,000 posts on Twitter and Instagram. Find them through the #womens100 hashtag.
- Highway Two has announced that it will give 1% of qualified program sales to NICA and urges the industry to match. H2 dealers will receive program information this month.
- Guru Cycles is offering a 10% mail-in rebate on all frames and complete bikes through their dealers, good for purchases through August 31st.
- Aaron Gwin will debut his new Troy Lee Designs Signature Sprint Gear at Round 5 of the UCI Mountain Bike Downhill World Cup at Mont Sainte Anne in Canada this weekend. He is giving you a chance to win a kit of your own and a Gwin Replica D3 Helmet. Enter now through Monday, August 4th at 12pm. Winners will randomly be chosen, emailed directly, and announced on the giveaway page right after entries close!
- Montague Bikes is giving away a Montague Crosstown Folding Bike. Contest ends September 2nd.
- Article by the NYTimes explaining the state of this years’ Tour de France: As Technology Makes Bicycles Lighter and Faster, It’s the Cyclists Falling Harder.
- The Finger Lakes Tour de Cure is only two weeks away – August 16th with five distance options.
- Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation is promoting the 2014 Alex’s Million Mile – Run.Walk.Ride as a way to raise awareness for childhood cancer during the month of September.
- The inaugural Tahoe Bike Classic will be held September 27 – 28th.
- The Carolina Cycling Challenge supports pediatric cancer with donations going to the Levine Children’s Hospital of Charlotte. Held in Hickory, NC, this years’ event will be on October 5th with three ride distances: 10, 32 and 55 miles.
- The Road Titans 300, is a three-day road bike romp through the beautiful mountains, trees and waterfalls of South Carolina’s Oconee County – the 30,000ft of climbing is no joke, so start training now. November 7-9th, 2014.
- The Philly Bike Expo is returning for its 5th year and excitement is growing for the “two-day festival of bicycle culture.” Returning to the Pennsylvania Convention Center, November 8-9th, tickets for general admission go on sale in August.
- …and a shout out to Elizabeth and Patricia, both aged 11, who were doing some research on the importance of wearing a bicycle helmet and came across this article that they thought had some good information and wanted to share.
The Bike Design Project by Origen Manifest challenges five teams based in cycling-centric cities in the United States to redefine the utility bike. Each team is required to build a fully functional prototype and at the end of the development period, cyclists are invited to vote on the winning project.
That bike will be then be produced in a limited run through the a partnership with Fuji and will eventually be available in retail shops. Drop past the break for an overview of the entries and then vote! READ MORE ->
- DISSING + WEITLING architecture are proud to announce the completion of their “bike snake” bridge in Copenhagen. Shown above, the 235m bridge opened July 28th and after 2 weeks has about 10,000 daily users. It is only for bikes, freeing up the lower level for pedestrians.
- Early registration pricing for the 2014 Enduro-X Race Series held in Steamboat Springs, CO, ends midnight Saturday July 12.
- This year’s BC Bike Race has barely wrapped up and already registration is open for the 2015 edition.
- The Mad Dog Challenge is billed as the “Ultimate Long Distance Cycling Challenge” organizing crazy long distance rides in Asia – each day has 150-210km of riding. Seven packages are available with 4 to 8 days of fully supported riding.
- ESPN Films’ 30 for 30 series will take a look back at one of the sports’ most epic rivalries between Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault with “Slaying the Badger” on Tuesday, July 22, at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN.
- fi’zi:k is looking for 10 Ironman product testers to help develop triathlon specific products. Selection ends July 27th.
- Interbike 2014 has added floor space to their exhibition area due to increased demand. More than 200 new exhibitors that have never showcased at Interbike will have space near registration in an area called “The Lab.”
- VP Components and BTI are giving one lucky bike shop employee a chance to win 2 free entries into the sold out Downieville Classic All-Mountain event in Downieville, CA, July 31 – August 3, 2014. The entries, valued at over $400, automatically get the winner and a friend into this event in the All-Mountain category (does not include your transportation, lodging and meals.) This contest is only open to bike shop employees. To enter the contest, a bike shop employee must post a photo of themselves on Facebook with a new in-box VP-VX Series pedal, VP-Harrier pedal or VP-VEX pedal. All photos must be hashtagged #vpallmountain and list the name of their bike shop. The photo that gets the most shares will be the winner. The contest began July 9 and ends July 14 at 5:00PM PST.