If there’s such a thing as too safe, then The Proviz REFLECT360 cycling jacket takes you there. It seems to glow white when light hits it – the whole jacket, not a strip of reflective bit on the sleeve or at the back, the WHOLE jacket, kinda like lighting the entire thing up with a sign saying “look out for me!” I love it, and this is why…
Posts in the category Clothing-Gear-Tools
- Bandha Bikes Project: Across Uganda, achieving basic needs for individuals and families is dependent on their ability to access available resources. Bicycles become the catalyst to link families with essential resources but many Ugandans cannot afford them. Bandha Bikes will be launching a crowdfunding campaign on Oct 27th to seek donations in support of our Ugandan based pilot program.
- Calling all ripping goblins, ghosts and ghouls! Daniel Dhers Action Sports Complex is hosting a Halloween Jam on November 1st at their facility in Holly Springs, NC. Besides having awards for best trick, fastest lap, etc. they’re also awarding the best costume so be sure to dress up.
- Do you want to win an exclusive Orbea Carpe that’s been hand painted by Roberto Tirso in Mallabia? Enter Here.
- Womens Bike Mechanic Scholarship opens doors for women in the cycling industry. SRAM, Liv, United Bicycle Institute (UBI), Quality Bicycle Products, Pedro’s, and Park Tool have joined together to offer ten scholarships for women to attend United Bicycle Institute. The scholarship was created for women who are aspiring or experienced bike mechanics wishing to increase their technical knowledge and actively pursue a career in the cycling industry. Find the details HERE.
- Kinetic Trainers announced the launch of its new website, www.kurtkinetic.com. The new site features enhanced product information including product videos, technical information, reviews, new page layouts and customer service portal. The website is now live.
- Do you have a favorite bike park? MTBParks.com wants to hear from you! If you love lift-accessed mountain biking, take a few minutes to complete the survey and share your opinions HERE.
- Here’s a better way to let everyone know that you’re a proud cyclist without wearing your jersey to the local coffee house. Après Vélo is having a 48 hour Mega Sale on their stylish cycling t-shirts but it ends at 8 AM on October 26th so act fast. Enter Coupon Code BDAY20P at check out.
You would expect a clothing company like Castelli to come up with new Fall and Winter gear heading into the colder months of the year, but that hasn’t stopped the iconic brand from updating a few of their hot weather pieces as well. In addition to the Alpha jacket and jersey designed to swaddle you in warmth and keep you dry, Castelli has redesigned the Climber’s Jersey 2.0 to create one of the lightest jerseys on the market.
Flying Arrows, Mountain Coasters, and Phantom Drops – Making Movies with the Sony Action Cam Movie Creator
You have the Action Cam Mini, you have the shot, now how do you get from hours of footage to an enjoyable clip? We have a sneaking suspicion that an overwhelming amount of helmet cam footage goes unused. Not because it isn’t interesting, but because it takes a lot of work to edit it down to something that others actually want to watch. Much like GoPro has done with their GoPro Studio, Sony has tried to make the process as easy as possible with their new Action Cam Movie Creator.
The free movie editing software is available for Windows or Mac operating systems and is available for download directly from Sony’s site. When using the creator you have the choice of combining multiple videos into a standard video format, or displaying up to 4 different clips in the same frame along with the track and speed from the GPS data on the camera. We’re still playing with the GPS functions on the camera so we stuck to the traditional video editing side of the program.
There’s plenty more after the break including what may be the best demonstration of the Action Cam Mini’s image stabilization…
The Sport Pulse Wireless ear buds from Jabra are wireless, have premium sound and other features similar to other high-end ear buds. But these can actually measure your heart rate through the ear buds, and transmit that information back to your phone, for use in their tracking app.
Measuring heart rate has been traditionally done through a chest strap, but new wireless technologies are starting to change that, and very fast. Also in ear phones, SMS Audio can do the same thing, and Lifebeam can measure from your helmet. Jabra promises more than just measuring the heart and playing music…
Supposing you don’t want zip ties or rubber straps around your stem and your brake cables are routed inconveniently for holding Shimano’s Di2 cockpit junction box. What’s one to do?
Raceware Direct has the solution with their new steerer tube spacer mount, which will be available in either nylon or titanium. It’s a 3D printed piece and allows the junction box to slide in from one side just as it would on the standard mount provided by Shimano. You know, the one that has to be clipped onto something.
Both versions are 3D printed, and the nylon one will come in nine different colors for £15. The titanium one will retail for £40. Upon request, they’ll also offer a version of their 3D printed Garmin computer mounts with the junction box mounting slot built into it.
What’s that? You’re curious about the weight?
Thus far, Sigma’s Data Center has been a program that sits on your desktop, keeping all of your historical training data trapped on a local machine. Soon, though, a new Data Center 4.0 will move to the cloud, so once a workout has been synced from your device to Data Center, that workout data will appear on any device running Data Center.
To take full advantage of that, there’s a new Android Data Center app that’ll let you plug your rox10 into tablets or phones that have a mini USB and download ride data directly to the tablet. An iOS version of the app will launch simultaneously, but you’ll need an ANT+ dongle to read data from the Rox units or sync them with your computer first. Once that’s done, all of your training data will be more portable.
Rox 10.0 GPS cycling computer will get a much welcomed firmware update that allows you to further customize the screen, putting 1-6 of your favorite metrics onscreen at a time. Currently, the top section of the computer’s screen is fixed to show cadence, power, heart rate and one other metric, with speed and other usual suspects down below, and a button-activited scrolling metric on the bottom for things like time, distance, temperature, etc. We’re looking forward to setting ours up the way we’d like, and you’ll be able to do that from the Rox or through Data Center 4.0.
For multisport athletes, Sigma’s jumping on the “smart watch” category with the new RC Move…
Hiplock has added two new models to their lineup, the Hiplock Gold and Hiplok DC.
The Gold, shown above in their limited edition Camo cover with orange buckle, ups the diameter of the chain links to 10mm thick hardened steel. That locks into a 12mm shackle, and it all wraps conveniently around your waist while riding with a seatbelt-style strap.
It’s given a top rating by Sold Secure, an independent testing firm. More picks of that and their new DC edition U-Lock below…
Depending on where you are in the country, the cool weather of fall is either coming very shortly, or has already arrived. Here in Minnesota, we have already been riding with frost in the mornings. Proper gear is essential to be comfortable riding, and as riders
all over stretch the seasons, lots of new cold weather gear is hitting the market.
Bellwether has been around since 1973, leading the way back then with some of the first lycra/nylon cycling shorts. They have been through some rough patches, and are now trying to re-establish themselves with a new line of products. Coldfront is the windproof side designed to minimize exposure, and Aqua-NO is waterproof so you can ride through the worst conditions. There is a large line of new products, but the riding jackets and gloves featuring the new technologies are leading the rebirth of the brand.