With Travis Pastrana at the helm and a heap of talented riders in tow, the television show Nitro Circus has been pushing the limits for several seasons. In this latest clip, rider Ethen Godfery Roberts spins his way into youtube fame with this crazy double backflip superman combo!
Posts in the category BMX
The full loop is a an impressive stunt that rarely materializes due the the lack of naturally occurring full pipes of the right size. So Mike ‘Hucker’ Clark teamed up with RedBull and the rest is on tape.
POV after the break READ MORE ->
- Cool video footage of last week’s Morvelo CityCross2 above. Sticks and stones? More like Cobbles and rain…
- Early registration has begun for the 2014 Subaru Sea Otter Classic race to be held April 10-13th. Get 10% off registration with code EARLYBIRD.
- BuddyBike is billed as an alternative tandem bicycle that lets you ride along with a person with physical and/or cognitive disabilities. As a small company, they cannot support as many programs as they’d like with donations, but have a great list of suggestions for how to get funding for their bicycles.
- The University of California-Davis has been awarded Platinum level status as a Bicycle Friendly University from the League of American Bicyclists. It’s only the League’s second Platinum level university, with Stanford taking honors as the first. Click here to find out how to move your school towards becoming a bicycle friendly university!
- Factor Bikes has teamed up with The Prince’s Trust to help raise £20,000 for the charity. They’ve donated a Limited Edition Vis Vres (size 56cm) worth £10,000 for a raffle. Tickets are £10 and raffle closes April 14th, or when they sell out all 2,000 tickets.
- The Gran Fondo Super Prestige calendar has been released. To obtain “Super Prestige” status, riders must ride 3 of the 8 events. What is this new series? According to GFNY magazine: “GFSP provides cyclists in North America a new challenge. The series follows the success of the Italian ‘Prestigio’ series put on by Cicloturismo magazine. In Italy, thousands of riders aim to become ‘Prestigioso’ but only a few hundred achieve to complete seven out of ten Gran Fondos. A select few even do all ten races.“
- The Adventure Cycling Association is working towards better bike service on multi-modal travel options – taking your bicycle with you on airplanes, trains, and by bus. Click here to find out about their travel initiatives and some helpful information about traveling with your bike.
- Found while perusing the Adventure Cycling Association’s blog, a video about a revolutionary new information system…
- The Florida Department of Transportation has announced that it plans a U.S Bicycle Route following US1 from Jacksonville to Key West. It is one of four routes planned that will connect to future routes in Georgia and Alabama.
- MissionMission has posted about a simple, streamlined bicycle map of SF. More info here. Image after the break.
- If you live in the city of Santa Cruz, CA, here is a link to an online petition to replace a temporary BMX park with a permanent BMX plaza.
- Bokos has announced their new color lineup of comfy après-cycling sandals. Perfect for holiday gifts!
- NBC will premiere the 2013 GoPro Ironman World Championship on November 16th.
- Spy Optic have announced they will donate $30 for every pair of sunglasses sold on their website to the Philippine typhoon relief efforts provided by Waves for Water. This offer runs through tomorrow, Nov. 16th (get on it!). All they have to do is sell more than 3,334 sunglasses and this company will donate more than the country of China.
- The official tourism website of Sufferlandria has opened and is now taking citizenship applications.
- Bikerumor is looking for an expert web developer. Must be proficient in WordPress and CSS at a minimum, but a good understanding of and experience with social media integration, forums and HTML5 is a big bonus. Email an introduction and links to work samples for consideration.
For those with a taste for the finer things in life, this Porshe balance bike is the perfect way to develop your children’s passion for German engineering. Developed by the company that employs the worlds finest rear engine sports car engineers, this two wheeled speed demon will set you back $435.
Get yours here.
We love new wheel and axle standards as much as the next person, so we were happy to cover this new 20mm BMX rear axle standard. Developed by legendary Stealth BMX hub manufacturer True Precision, the new axle size was developed for racers who routinely put down the kind of wattage out of the start gate that would put professional road racers to shame. The thicker axle doesn’t lop of any grams but their racers claim it drastically increase stiffness.
Half Cab past the break for more…including Odyssey’s crazy tall bike!
Walking onto the show floor this year, one object grabbed my attention more than anything else, and that was the Athos from Contes Engineering. This pedal quad monstrosity weighs in at 80lbs and is one of several different Athos that have come into existence. The first was a BMX / dirt jumper. This one, as you may have noticed is rolling on fat bike wheels and tires. Those wheels are built on Chris King hubs, and were laced up by Jude at Sugar Wheel Works.
For the rest of the Athos, including video of it in action, hit the jump.
Fair Wheel Bikes is packing more showstoppers in their booth than any single company should be allowed at a single event. Fortunately, it’s sorta like several companies all sent a piece (or two, as is the case with Crumpton) for use by Fair Wheel to show what they can do.
Above is an 8.88lb (4.03kg) race ready road bike. FWB’s Jason says they wanted to build something that could be raced, with proven parts that didn’t sacrifice any durability for weight savings.
The result is a wispy 8.86lb bike that uses the Tune Skyline wheels, the same model Chris Froome raced in the Tour de France. It’s running 700×22 Vittoria Crono Evo CS tubulars (not taped or glued yet).
Other build highlights are a Recon alloy cassette, KCNC titanium brake cables, Aican housing, Powercordz shift cables, Fibula brakes, Mcfk saddle and Schmolke post, custom ENVE stem and Schmolke TLO handlebar bonded together by Calfee. It’s wrapped with Lizardskins DLC bar tape.
For a few years now, Speedplay sponsored pros have been seen with custom pedals for the classics like Paris Roubaix. The pedals feature a metal body with most of Speedplays distinctive Zero shape cut away to form a plus sign shaped pedal. The design, now called the Pave is designed to allow easier clip in should you encounter mud or dirt during your ride.
According to Speedplay the Paves are finally going to be offered to the public with details after the break.
Like every kid who has ridden BMX, I’ve been run out of the skatepark by cops more times than I can count. Why? Well, there is no real reason. Just a long standing misconception that BMX bikes cause more damage to the coping than skateboards. So with that painful history in mind, it’s rad to see a cop blasting some bowls and throwing a few 360s with the kids. We just hope next time he brings a helmet.