It’s hard to tell what happens in this grainy video with any certainty, but it appears this truck driver hasn’t learned the all important rule of truck ownership – tie things down securely. As the vehicle is passing a cyclist, a mattress falls out and hits the rider, then miraculously cushions his fall! Skip to the 20 second mark to see it happen.
Posts in the category Advocacy
- The 4th Annual Ride Sun Valley Bike Festival returns this June 26-July 5, 2014. Need inspiration? Watch the video above from last years’ events.
- Bicycling Magazine and Specialized announce the inaugural Bicycling Spring Classic in Morgan Hill, CA, on May 9th.
- Giro is celebrating the launch of their new road women’s line of apparel with a contest. Grand prize is a head-to-toe Giro wardrobe, airfare and bike tour with inGamba Cycling Tours Women’s Week, May 11-18th, in Tuscany, Italy. To enter, go to their Facebook page, click “enter now”, describe your best week on the bike with inGamba and hashtag your entry with #bestweekever.
- The 2014 Tour de Lane bicycle ride in Eugene, Oregon, will be August 1st – 3rd.
- Orbea has announced the Silk Route Bike Challenge: 9 days, 5 stages, totaling 600km across the scenic country of Kyrgyzstan August 2-10, 2014.
- Registration is open for the Dave Wiens West Elk Bicycle Classic to be held August 31st in Gunnison, Colorado. Proceeds from the race will support Western State Colorado University’s mountain sports team.
- The 2014 Levi’s Gran Fondo will be October 4th in Santa Rosa, CA.
- The Moab Travel Council is pleased to announce 9 new miles of trails in Dead Horse Point State Park, 32 miles west of Moab, Utah.
- Remember this bike room? Dero, a bike parking and storage solutions company, is offering you the chance to win something like it – $7500 in Dero products and $1000 to decorate your very own bike room. Click here to find out how to enter.
- If you hurry, you can get 25% off storewide at Après Vélo with code AEV25 at checkout, until 8am AEST.
- Ben Welnak of Mountain Bike Radio did an interview this week with Christopher Tassava who finished 7th at the Arrowhead 135 and raced the first JayP’s Backyard Fat Pursuit in Idaho.
- The U.S. Department of Transportation has just issued a proposed National Traffic Safety Goal that does not include goals to reduce cyclist and pedestrian deaths. Help bring this important issue to your representative’s attention via the League of American Bicyclists action page.
- People For Bikes has released its list of America’s 10 Best Protected Bike Lanes of 2013.
- Backcountry.com has announced it’s sponsorship of the National Interscholastic Cycling Association’s Utah chapter the Utah High School Cycling League.
- SKINS compression clothing has announced it’s sponsorship of both the SPY GIANT RIDE p/b MRI Endurance and the Rokform Junior Development cycling teams for 2014.
- …and Lapierre Bicycles has redesigned their website.
- This month The Luxe Project is featuring John Bielenberg’s bike themed design for business cards, photo above. You can customize and order some for yourself with all net proceeds benefiting John’s charity of choice: HeroBike, a non-profit we recently toured, that uses locally grown bamboo to create bikes and jobs for a community in need.
- BuddyBike and The Friendship Circle have announced The Great Bike Giveaway: the third annual contest that gives away adaptive bikes to kids/families in need. You can enter to win a bike, or donate money so more bikes can be given away!
- Pedal and Play in Paradise will be held Saturday, April 5th, in Punta Gorda, Florida. Participants will have five rides to choose from, 15-mile, 30-mile, 62-mile, a 10-mile Mystery Poker Run and the City Manager’s/History Tour with Punta Gorda’s City Manager, Howard Kunik.
- Trek has released its first app, @trekbikes - a magazine curating words and photos detailing the Trek experience.
- Bunyan Velo’s issue no. 4 has been released.
- Send Road Holland a photo of you wearing your worst cycling gear and they’ll send you a promo code for 25% off their classic cycling gear – and you’ll be entered in their Makeover Contest with grand prize of over $250 in free Road Holland gear. Entries are due March 3rd!
- Two new t-shirt releases from Cycology Gear: Ride and Tri Harder (also in pink).
- Cinelli announces its latest t-shirt collaboration with Samuel Lee Turner, veteran bike messenger.
- Random PR of the week: Mod-to-Order watches. Customize your watch face!
This season is professional cyclist David Millar’s last official year of racing, and Fizik’s honoring his accomplishments with special edition shoes for each race of the year.
The series is called An Eloquence Of Movement and starts with these Mallorca Shoes. Built on the R1 road shoe, the design’s inspired by the Constellation Philla collection by artist Miro. They’re being auctioned off to benefit the Small Steps Project charity, and you can bid on this pair (size 44.5) through March 9.
Around 20 different pairs of shoes will be made throughout the year. From Fizik:
An Eloquence Of Movement is not intended as a chronological record of David’s final season but rather an expression of his whole career – including all the ups and downs – told through a series of designs. They are individually created to reflect both the specific race and its region, and to tell the emotional story of David’s involvement at this race – in 2014 and over the past two decades. All the shoes have been specially designed by the VCRC Style Council in partnership with fi’zi:k designers, taking inspiration from the races, their history and environment, as well as David’s career. As with all fi’zi:k shoes they have been hand-made in Italy.
Step past the break for more images…
- Stanridge Cycles has announced their collaboration with Ben EINE for the Red Hook Crit, Saturday, March 29th. Ben will be hand painting the two Stanridge High Street frames that will be raced during this years’ Red Hook series by Katie Arnold and previous Red Hook winner Evan Murphy.
- Interested in learning how to lead mtb clinics and run guided rides? IMBA is offering a Level 1 Ride Guide Certification course March 14-16 in Anniston, AL. Cost for the program is $450 for IMBA members, $500 for non-members. Sign up before March 5th.
- Trek’s Dirt Series of mountain bike skills camps are now open for registration.
- SPY Optics is having its 3rd annual SPY Belgian Waffle Ride on Sunday, April 27th, in Carlsbad, CA. They claim the event will be suitable for all bike types: mountain bikes, cyclo-cross bikes, road bikes, and even single speed track bikes!
- Looking for a cycling specific B&B getaway in southern California? Roadies Hideaway in Bonsall, CA, will cater to your road cycling vacation needs.
- Ciamillo’s 2014 GSLs are on special at $220 down from $369. Only 22 sets available at this price, black only. First come, first serve.
- Bike Rags is taking pre-orders for their bike shirts for St. Patrick’s Day: “Irish I Was On A Bike” printed with reflective ink. Order before this Monday, February 24th.
- XYIENCE is looking for fitness-minded athletes and individuals to join its inaugural Power to Win ambassador program.
- Smart Growth America has published it’s Best Complete Streets Policies of 2013 analysis.
- Chat live with Nico Vink this Monday morning, February 24th, at 10am EST. Log on to Cane Creek’s The Lounge rider forum to ask Nico your pressing questions about his DH wins and everything bike.
Animal lovers can show their support for your local animal rescue organization by purchasing kit from their site. During checkout, simply note where you’d like your donation to be made and a portion of each sale will go there.
If you’re a 501(c)(3) animal rescue group and would like to be listed, check the link on the home page.
If you’re just a pedaling friend of furry critters, jump past the break for linkage and a look at the kit…
- Chrome just launched a more commuter/walker friendly version of their hardcore boot. The new 415 Urban Work Boot is for people that like the look of a factory worker but want something soft and instantly broken in. These are just that, but maintain an oiled full grain leather upper, Storm breathable waterproof protection and a sneaker-like sole. Retail is $130.
- Handsome Cycles will be throwing the 5th edition of the Cutters Ball on February 22nd, 2014 at their HQ in downtown Minneapolis. This year they have added the first annual Shop Bike Shootout to the card with a closed course brakeless banked ice race. The winners will take home prizes from Handsome Cycles, Chrome Industries and Bern Unlimited.
- Road Holland has announced their sponsorship of the Bike Virginia Tour June 20-25th, 2014. Multiple route options are available for the tour that will be rolling through the regions of Chesterfield to Williamsburg. Single day, weekend, or full 6-day tour options are available.
- PS- Get 20% Off Road Holland apparel today, Valentine’s Day, with promo code “FLOWER20″.
- NAHBS will be partnering with Trips For Kids Charlotte to collect donations of “dusty not rusty” bikes, parts, and money during the show.
- Kat Sweet has announced this years’ Sugar Shred Camp, a mountain bike training clinic exclusively for women will be held in Portland, Oregon, on February 28 – March 2, 2014. The event will include one evening of personalized coaching at the Lumberyard Indoor Mountain Bike Park and three days of bike-related events.
- The Campagnolo Gran Fondo San Diego will be celebrating cycling in Italian style on April 6, 2014. The event will have three routes (34, 56 and 105 miles), well-stocked food stops, and a post-ride Italian feast from award-winning San Diego restaurant Acqua AL2.
- Cycling Sports Group UK will launch the Guru Bike Fit Experience in the UK market this week through three pilot retail partners: Leisure Lakes (Daventry) who have the system in store this week, Tri UK (Yeovil) and Hoops Velo (Farnham).
- A letter from The League of American Bicyclists: Last year, the Safe Streets Act (HR 2468) was introduced in the House – and the bill is gaining momentum. Last week, the same bill (S 2004) was introduced in the Senate. The timing is critical because both the House and Senate are drafting transportation bills – and we need complete streets to be included! We were so close in 2012, when the Senate passed a bill including complete streets – but it was stripped out by the House. With bi-partisan support in the House and growing support nationwide, now is the time to make it happen in 2014. Please ask your Senators and Representative to Support the Safe Streets Act today!
- And…the most random PR in our inbox this week: First Sign Hair Clip – a clip you wear in your hair that detects impact (punch, slap, kick, aggressive shake) through an accelerometer, calls for help via bluetooth, and warns your attacker that they are being monitored.
Be the change you want to see in this world they said. You can effect change. Send a letter to your congressman. Get out the vote. That’s what they always taught us in school.
So after four friends and his mother (who broke her scapula and helmet in the collision) were hit by negligent drivers, seventeen year old Long Island teenager Matthew Cutrone sent a letter to his County Legislator pleading for more bike lanes .
Hop past the break for the appalling response he received…. READ MORE ->