- Beautiful footage of this years’ Yak Attack above. Find out more about the “Worlds highest mountain bike race” here. High altitude training anyone?
- Today Save $5 off the Sufferfest training video bundle: The Wretched and There Is No Try, featuring officially licensed video footage of Le Tour.
- Culprit Bicycles are offering 10% off all carbon road bikes this week.
- Scott Sports has a new website for your enjoyment as well as a special feature with daily updates from the 2014 Tour de France: Moments of Le Tour.
- Join George Hincapie on July 9th as he celebrates his favorite stage of the Tour de France with a bike ride and viewing party at his Hotel Domestique in Travelers Rest, SC.
- Cam Zink is hosting two mountain bike clinics at Mammoth Mountain Bike Park on July 26th, with a free ride with Cam day on the 27th.
- GirlBikeLove’s Sarai Snyder is raising money for Women Race Bikes: a new media site dedicated to reporting women’s professional cycling.
- Trek Bicycle will be matching all donations dollar-for-dollar to World Bicycle Relief for the month of July.
- Amtrak is making it easier to transport your bicycle along it’s long distance routes.
- The Catskills Outdoor Guide is now available electronically or in print with a short guide to riding around the Catskills by John Ferguson, John S., and Anton of the blog Riding the Catskills.
- Snapguide has announced the winners of their Bike Hack contest.
- Happy 4th of July to our readers in the USA!
Posts in the category Advocacy
POC Auctioning Off Custom Cervelo P5 and RCAs with Full AVIP Treatment to benefit Spinalis Foundation
If you were drooling over the POC AVIP edition Cervelo P5 from our Interbike coverage, this is your chance to own one. In a collaboration with Cervelo, fi’zi:k, 3T, HED, Shimano, and TRP, POC has put together four stunning Cevelo bikes with a finish and build you won’t find anywhere else. POC told us at the AVIP launch that the paint job alone on these beauties was hard to come by since they were done by Cervelo’s own custom paint house, meaning you probably won’t come across custom bikes like this very often.
Adorning a 54 and 58cm RCA, and 54/58cm P5, the AVIP bikes are being auctioned off to support Spinalis which is a charity that focuses on spinal injury research. To recreate each of these bikes you would be looking at a massive $20,800 for the RCA, and $19,200 for the P5 – certainly high end. The auctions which run until July 1, do have a reserve but if you want to try your hand at bidding on one of these gorgeous bikes you’ll find more details, next…
- Looking for adventure? The Yak Attack (video above) is billed as the world’s highest mountain bike race – and now the organizers have added two more races to make up a World Challenge Series: the 2014 Rumble In The Jungle through Sri Lanka Nov. 17-23rd, the 2015 Alpac Attack through Patagonia and Argentina April 12-19th, and the 2015 Yak Attack through the Himalayas September 18-30th.
- The Pasadena Mountain Bike Club is having a bike swap meet Sunday June 22nd from 7am – 1pm at Pasadena Cyclery. Vendors email here for a table ($10), or 10×10 ($40).
- Après Vélo is having a Mega Stocktake Sale of 40% off storewide (some exclusions). Use code LOVEAV at checkout. Sale ends June 23rd 6am AEST.
- In celebration of the release of its AVIP concept, promoting safety for road cyclists, POC is auctioning four one of a kind Cervélo road bikes (Cervélo P5 54cm, Cervélo P5 58cm, Cervélo RCA 54cm, Cervélo RCA 58cm) to raise money and awareness for Spinalis, an organization which promotes research and treatment in the field of spinal cord injuries. Auction runs until July 1st.
- The Sugar Showdown Seattle will be held July 5-6 and will include a class for 6-9 year old girls in addition to a free “Pump & Jump Jam” on Sunday for the little ladies! Register now.
- The Tour of Arae is a 6-day all-dirt vintage South African road bike stage race for riders of racing-style South African built steel frames. Open to 35 riders, who will be racing through the Karoo over river crossings, thick sand, tyre-shredding rocks, and potential snow over 6 days and 730 kilometers, August 23-28
- Bicycle Line, an Italian cycling clothing company, has announced that it’s online store is now available in English so it’s UK customers will be able to order directly from their website.
- A first-of-its kind flow trail on US Forest Service land will have it’s grand opening this Saturday June 14, at the Corral Trail in South Lake Tahoe, CA. This project is the result of a partnership between the Forest Service, Tahoe Area Mountain Biking Association (TAMBA), and the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship, as well as thousands of hours of local volunteer help.
- The producers of Ride the Divide and Reveal the Path are currently filming Inspired to Ride – a documentary about this years’ Trans Am Bike Race - which is underway now!
- Support Matt Nahoum as he raises money for the Breaking AIDS Ride to support the Housing Works organization.
- The top two fundraisers for the Fingerlakes Tour de Cure ride from June 15-July 15th will be awarded a special VIP trip to Watkins Glen for the Aug.9th Nationwide Series race to meet NASCAR racer Ryan Reed.
- Registration is still open for the Discover Hudson Valley Ride, June 29th in Poughkeepsie, NY.
- the 4th annual, 2014 Beach Babe Bicycling Classic in Long Beach/Huntington Beach, CA will be held on July 13th.
- CycleOps has launched a virtual training contest – upload your training route before July 31st for a chance to win a grand prize Trek Travel Trip for 2 through California’s wine country or through the French alps. Other prizes and how to enter the contest can be found here.
- The Wild Card search begins for Pinkbike’s Deep Summer Photo Challenge at Whistler’s Crankworx. Five photographers have been announced and the sixth will be chosen from the public via Pinkbike’s website. Enter your photos before June 21st!
- Registration is open for the 2014 California Coast Classic Bicycle Tour to be held September 13-20th. This scenic tour covers 525 miles along the coast from San Francisco to LA along Highway 1.
- Charleston Moves!, a nonprofit bicycle and pedestrian advocacy organization, is pleased to announce Kurt Cavanaugh has been hired as Executive Director. Congratulations Kurt!
Ruckus Composites is known for repairing carbon fiber frames and parts. Occasionally, some of the frames sent in are abandoned, so Ruckus has repaired them and are raffling them off to raise funds for women’s bike racing. Check out our factory tour here, and if you like what you see, check the press release below for links and details on making a bid. It’ll give a new life to a frame as well as someone’s race career…
- The Munga bills itself as the “toughest race on earth” which shouldn’t be taken lightly as its creator has raced in the Freedom Challenge (2300km across South Africa) and the Tour Divide (4418km along the Rockies from Canada to Mexico). He thought that races like these deserve more than a handshake at the end, that prize money should be given to the toughest athletes, the kind that complete these kinds of races not just 4 and 5 hour races. Enter the idea for the Munga: a 1000+km mountain bike race in Bloemfontein, South Africa. Teams of two compete for grand prize money of $750,000! All teams that make the 5 day cutoff are entered to win a random drawing of $100,000. Too good to be true? A bit, it costs $10,000 per team to enter.
- The League of American Bicyclists has announced the winners of it’s Women Bike Mini Grant Program for 2014. The grants were created to support new and growing programs that engage young women in bicycling, encourage more moms to ride and advance female leadership in the bike movement.
- Tell Orbea what you ride to overcome and be entered to win their second giveaway of a Team Novo Nordisk replica M50 complete bike.
- There are less than three days left on the Indiegogo campaign for you to purchase your Wheely’s Bicycle Cafe franchise. Your Semi-Early Bird price includes a three-wheeled bicycle cafe, signage, branded cups and napkins, Wheely’s manual, and a life-time right to use your Wheely’s Bicycle Cafe in a designated geographical area with no franchise fees.
- The Air Force Association Cycling Classic will be held this weekend, June 7-8, in Clarendon and Crystal City, VA. Online registration is closed, but spots will be available for purchase at packet pick-up. Kids’ races will be held both days, check the website for more info.
- Nat Cobb, a board member of WildEarth Guardians, is riding the 2014 Tour Divide on June 13th. He is using his ride to raise money to protect and restore the wild wolf population of the Western US.
- Ellsworth & Cog Wild’s 2014 Owner’s Retreat will be in Bend, Oregon, the weekend of July 25-27th.
- Tern bicycles and Car2Go have partnered to offer special promotions to their customers in Rome, Milan and Florence.
- Revolights‘ blog has posted a list of What To Do After A Cycling Collision.
- If you haven’t seen this data yet, it’s exciting – the first major academic study of protected bike lane use in the US has been published. People For Bikes‘ website has a link to the whole study and has written a Cliff’s Notes version of the results worth reading.
It’s hard to pass judgement on a situation when we don’t know what preceded this interaction, but one thing is obvious from the short video – the bus is mightier than the bike.
- The countdown to Crankworx Whistler 2014 is ON: 69 more days until the start of the August 8-17th event. Athlete registration opens June 1st.
- Steamboat Springs, CO, will be hosting a Jump Jam & Photo Shootout on June 13th at the recently completed Bear River Bike Park (thanks in part to a Bell Built Grant award!).
- The Bicycle Basket Bazaar is headed to Worcester, UK, on June 21st as part of celebration of Bike Week.
- Las Vegas Cyclery and Escape Adventures is excited to announce the first annual Grand Canyon Fat Tire Festival to be held August 1-3rd. The festival will include 100 and 58 mile mountain bike races on Saturday, and a family friendly mountain bike tour of the East Rim and Saddle Mountain on Sunday.
- In honor of Mavic’s 125th Anniversary, Nicolas Roux will attempt to ride the “Tour du Mont Blanc” – 330km with over 8,000 meters of ascent – faster than the current record time of 11 hours and 41 minutes. Follow his attempt here.
- Early-bird registration for the Gran Fondo Hincapie ends tomorrow, May 31st, for the October 25th ride.
- Summer’s coming and so will the opportunity for travel and possibly camping… help save our trees by learning how to prevent the spread of the Emerald Ash Borer Beatle.
New bike day is the best day. Especially when you are being awarded a new bike through KindHuman’s Take the Lead Cycling Scholarship program for your achievements both on and off the bike. After announcing Keishawn as one of the winners, the KindHuman crew met up with Keishawn and their friends at Bike Effect in Santa Monica to get him dialed in to his new bike. Steven Carre, the co-owner and fit specialist even provided a pro level fit in their impressive fit studio to kick things off.
After losing 150 lbs and challenging himself to be a stronger and better rider, Keishawn will be setting a great example for self empowered change while riding his new road bike. KindHuman invites you to meet Keishawn, next…